EASA - ETSO authorisation (Subpart O of EASA Part 21) for a particular configuration

S

stockdam

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what the options are for using a modular system onboard an aircraft.

For example consider the case if I designed a navigation system that was modular and could be reconfigured by adding or removing internal electronics boards.

If I went for European Technical Standard Order (ETSO) authorisation (Subpart O of EASA Part 21) for a particular configuration then would I need to reapply for an ETSOA for each variant or can I get an ETSO approval that covers all the possible different variants (i.e. it covers all the options that I can include)?

For an ETSO then I need production approval under Subpart G or F and/or design approval. If I want to repair the units then what do I need?

When the part is to be installed on an aircraft then I will need to get a DOA company to get me an STC? Do I need an ETSO authorisation first or can I just go straight to the STC process?

Sorry I guess my questions can be summarised.......

I have a system that is modular and can be tailored to each aircraft model.
What do I need to be able to get this approved for aircraft use? What do I need for design/production/repair?

B

BadgerMan

Re: EASA - ETSO authorisation (Subpart O of EASA Part 21) for a particular configurat

I am no EASA expert but I think you will need the TSOA before you pursue the various STC’s.

I am thinking you will need a Part 21 subpart O approved system to produce your product and a Part 145 approval to repair it.

S

stockdam

Re: EASA - ETSO authorisation (Subpart O of EASA Part 21) for a particular configurat

Yes that's what I think you need for an ETSO.

You need subpart O for an ETSO......and before that you need your production organisation approved and also your design processes approved. As you said, I think part 145 is needed if you want to repair the product.

However I'm still not sure if an ETSO is required for an STC. I thought it was but looking at the ETSO lists I can't see a lot of avionics systems.

B

BadgerMan

I would think you would pursue TSOA for the individual components of the system rather than the system.

Where are you located? That would be a good question for your managing Aircraft Certification Office.

A

Angelika

Hi,

I'm trying to work out what the options are for using a modular system onboard an aircraft.

For example consider the case if I designed a navigation system that was modular and could be reconfigured by adding or removing internal electronics boards.

If I went for ETSO authorisation (Subpart O of EASA Part 21) for a particular configuration then would I need to reapply for an ETSOA for each variant or can I get an ETSO approval that covers all the possible different variants (i.e. it covers all the options that I can include)?

For an ETSO then I need production approval under Subpart G or F and/or design approval. If I want to repair the units then what do I need?

When the part is to be installed on an aircraft then I will need to get a DOA company to get me an STC? Do I need an ETSO authorisation first or can I just go straight to the STC process?

Sorry I guess my questions can be summarised.......

I have a system that is modular and can be tailored to each aircraft model.
What do I need to be able to get this approved for aircraft use? What do I need for design/production/repair?

Hi,

sorry I didn't see your thread earlier - during that time I was on holiday :D..

A lot of questions, I try to summarize:

To obtain an ETSO, Subpart O approval, a Production Organisation (Subpart F or G) is required as well.

Even if your system is ETSO-approved, you require an STC (or minor change approval, depending on the affect on airworthiness/environmental conditions of the aircraft) to get approval for installation into a specific aircraft model.

An STC can be obtained by a Part 21, Subpart J Design Organisation or - in some cases, by an ADOAP (Alternative Design Organisation Approval Procedures - see AMC 21A.14).

Hope this helps!
Angelika

S

stockdam

An STC can be obtained by a Part 21, Subpart J Design Organisation or - in some cases, by an ADOAP (Alternative Design Organisation Approval Procedures - see AMC 21A.14).

Hope this helps!
Angelika

Thanks Angelika,

Yes I understand. I have more questions though. For example if I have designed a new actuator for an aircraft then even if I do get an ETSO then I still need an STC. Is the STC just for the installation of my actuator or is it for the system that my actuator is part of? If I'm not ADOAP approved then the airframe manufacturer can apply to get the STC (if they have DO or ADOAP).

WHat's the point of getting an ETSO.......does it reduce the time to get an STC?

A

Angelika

Thanks Angelika,

Yes I understand. I have more questions though. For example if I have designed a new actuator for an aircraft then even if I do get an ETSO then I still need an STC. Is the STC just for the installation of my actuator or is it for the system that my actuator is part of? If I'm not ADOAP approved then the airframe manufacturer can apply to get the STC (if they have DO or ADOAP).

WHat's the point of getting an ETSO.......does it reduce the time to get an STC?

Hi,

the ETSO approval of an article shows compliance with the relevant ETSO standard.

If an ETSO article is used, the design work (showing of compliance such as calculations, analysis, tests etc.) in obtaining a STC may be reduced since the DO does not have to show compliance of the article (part/appliance) itself, but only its effect on airworthiness/environmental condition on the aircraft in which the article shall be installed.

Hope I could explain it well enough....

Regards,
Angelika

I

S

stockdam

Yes it is clear.

I guess an ETSO can be used by a new company to show a potential buyer that the risk of getting an STC is low.

There are less ETSOAs than I would have expected so a lot of companies must be relying on doing the work during the STC work.

K

kiwisfly

Hi Stockdam,
A Technical Standard Order (TSO) is a minimum performance standard issued by the FAA for specified materials, parts, processes, and appliances used on civil aircraft. ETSO is the same for EASA - hence the E at the front.

(E)TSO's are used where there are common systems developed for modifications or upgrade to aircraft. The STC is used to embody the modification, the TSO is the technical requirement that the modification must meet to achieve STC approval. In the absence of a TSO or ETSO, the DOA will need to show the approving regulator that the replacement part (for example) meets the original design specification, such as FAR 25 for commercial aircraft.

A DOA would need to prove to the regulator that your design meets the original design specification, whether FAR or TSO. A POA would need to manufacture it and you would most likely need a 145 approved organisation fit it.

I am currently working on a project where we are taking projects that are approved modifications through STC for a range of aircraft types. This makes the modification much more attractive to aircraft owners as it comes complete with ARC. A key part of the process is to get POA (equivalent) approval. DOA work is subcontracted to an organisation that is already approved.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

K

kellog

hey everyone,

is there someone still active here?

Top Bottom