Microbiological Standards (Limits) for Hand Swabs for Coliforms and S. Aureus

M

milagr

Am looking for Microbiological limits for hand swabs for coliforms/S. aureus.
Any information on the above is much appreciated.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Microbiological standards for hand swabs

Welcome to the Cove.

I don't know of any standards but there are generally accepted practices: 100 cfu for total plate count and negative for e.coli/salmonella/staphylococci and <1 for coliforms.

They may have their origins from food micro analysis requirements and we have 2 files here (please check it yourself).

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Re: Microbiological standards (limits) for hand swabs

Hi welcome to the cove.

The swab test is the most commonly used technique to determine microbial contamination on surfaces including workers hand, utensils, working bench and so on. The Maximum permissible limits of Total Plate count is 100 per Sq. Centimeter, Coliforms and staphylococcus aureus should be absent/cm2 . Normally, swab from worker’s hand and food contact surfaces Collection of Swabs: 25 sq.cm. area are swabbed using a square 5x5 cms. The swab is moved through a distance 12.5 cms during the swabbing operation. A steel template of correct size, which can be readily sterilized by alcohol flaming can be used to outline the swabbing area.

Regards
S.Subramaniam

Last edited:

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

Hi welcome to the cove.

The swab test is the most commonly used technique to determine microbial contamination on surfaces including workers hand, utensils, working bench and so on. The Maximum permissible limits of Total Plate count is 100 per Sq. Centimeter, Coliforms and staphylococcus aureus should be absent/cm2 . Normally, swab from worker’s hand and food contact surfaces Collection of Swabs: 25 sq.cm. area are swabbed using a square 5x5 cms. The swab is moved through a distance 12.5 cms during the swabbing operation. A steel template of correct size, which can be readily sterilized by alcohol flaming can be used to outline the swabbing area.

Regards
S.Subramaniam

I am not sure if anyone uses alcohol flaming - used to be the practise in my college days. Nowadays, it is sterilized by heat :)

In place of swabs, direct impression on agar plates is commonly employed.

bio_subbu

Super Moderator

I am not sure if anyone uses alcohol flaming - used to be the practise in my college days. Nowadays, it is sterilized by heat :)

In place of swabs, direct impression on agar plates is commonly employed.

In some type of food industries alcohol flaming is used to sterilize the metal template, if you want take samples in multiple people or utensils sterilizing by heat (moist heat or dry heat) every time is not practicable. Most of the food industries will not keep more than one or two templates.

The aforesaid technique is being encouraged by Export Inspection council of India.

Yes I agree. Now a days in most of the food and pharmaceuticals industries, direct immersion on agar plates in commonly employed.

M

milagr

Re: Microbiological Standards (limits) for Hand Swabs for coliforms/S. aureus

many thanks for the standard while we say it is 100/sq cm; is there a reference book/paper that states the same. We use the Hi media plates for the swabs

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Re: Microbiological Standards (limits) for Hand Swabs for coliforms/S. aureus

many thanks for the standard while we say it is 100/sq cm; is there a reference book/paper that states the same. We use the Hi media plates for the swabs

Refer Page No 19 of attached EIC's (Export Inspection Council) Guidance Document, the microbiological limit for swab test is cited under the subheading "Swab from worker’s hand and food contact surfaces"

Hope you find useful and informative.

Regards
S. Subramaniam

Attachments

• EIC_guidlines.pdf
    845.3 KB · Views: 3,167
E

Ernest Kolly - 2011

Do you have copies of EU microbiological standards or limits on fish and fishery products and on food contact surfaces including workers hands? If any one has a copy or have access to the website, can you send me a copy. I urgently need these information for my reference

cheers

Ernest

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom