Segregating prototype from production

P

PHANTOM

We are having difficulty separating prototype parts (arriving asynchronously from the shop floor) from production parts (arriving synchronous directly from inventory). Unfortunately, our MRP system does not explicitly declare a parts status. So, prototype parts arriving in the middle of a production shipment run the risk of slipping in as production and may not be recognized as needing specific conformity attention (-9, -3, etc.). Certainly we are not the only company to face this issue. We ship 5000-10000 parts per month, 10% of which may be prototype. Over the years our performance has been excellent, but we have lately noticed there is opportunity for error. Any ideas/ experience/ articles that might help a small conformity team protect themselves? :(
Many Thanks,
Phantom

A

anil123

Apply some visual identification on prototype parts so that it can be access easily.
Or Keep the inventory of prototype separatelt to avaiod the mixup.
For solving this difficulty, if you could send me the sequence of operations and why these parts are mixed up and why the segragation is required. What are these parts actually, specify in detail then I can able to reply.

B

BadgerMan

Are the parts serialized and do they have an ID tag/plate or marking? If that is the case, you could implement a procedure whereby they are serialized differently and/or marked with a different color.

P

PHANTOM

There are two troublesome scenarios:
1. On a regular basis, prototype parts are being included in a "production" shipment simply due to timing (the prototype wasn't ready for the first prototype shipment), so when the part becomes available it goes out with the next production shipment to that customer. We may have already received TC for the engineering but new engineering (hence new part due to minor problems during initial install) is still prototype and must be treated as such.
2. A prototype part may be included as a small detail in a much larger assembly. We in conformity are told only that "prototype part "X" will be arriving" - but nobody seems to know how X will be packaged when it arrives. If you don't know a complex assembly contains a prototype part within, you're sorta screwed.
NOTE: There is currently no obvious distinction of a prototype vs. production part - they look the same. Even the part #, revision and packaging are exactly the same.

Thanky you all for taking the time on this - your experience is very valuable to me.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I'm probably oversimplifying this, but in my past life we tagged it "First piece" and sent it in its own packing. Sometimes there would be more than one - we'd want acceptance judgment on certain finish or contour variations.

I'm unclear about how production is allowable before a prototype part is accepted. Once accepted, it can be physically marked with Dykem or something.

rnsvasan

Involved In Discussions
Sorry, I am bit confused with this. In my perception, if we call it as proto type then it should be something new engineering / new product / new design. In this condition even if it gets mix-up it should be filtered easily.
Or
Do you mean to say the design is similar but the processing route is different. pl. clarify

P

PHANTOM

As engineering evolves, new components (prototype parts) may be included in production assys in response to feedback from an install site. The difficulty is in knowing which of hundreds of parts comprising an assembly are prototype. The fact that the detail prototypes are consumed by a larger assembly is not indicated in our MRP system. We in conformity do get a parts listing indicating there are prototypes on the horizon we should be looking for , but their appearance (as a detail only or buried inside an assy) is unknown. Mixing production and prototype ensures the customer gets "the latest and greatest" when they begin their 2nd install (a production install). The occurance of this scenario is rare but has been happening.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Call me a purist if you like (it would fit), but it seems to me that any assembly built with prototype parts is in itself a prototype and should be clearly marked as such.

Top Bottom