A slightly frivolous question about Naming a Process

O

ousgg

OK, don't take this 'problem' too seriously, but I would like some suggestions.

We are the UK arm of a worldwide manufacturer. One of our defined business processes involves purchasing of goods made in our various other manufacturing branches and repacking them for the UK market.

This process used to be called 'Factored Goods', but one of our bureaucrats has had a bit of a strop because this isn't - in his view - what Factored Goods actually means. Problem is, I'm really struggling to come up with a concise alternative.

Any thoughts about a suitable alternative name for this process?

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
I've never heard the term 'Factored Goods' before. That said, I'm one of those people who likes when those that bring "problems" to the table, also bring solutions. Does this manager have a preferred term in mind?

In the meantime:
  • Re-Branding of Internally-Purchased Goods
  • Re-Packaging of Internally-Purchaed Goods
  • TBD Because 'Factored Goods' Doesn't Work For One Person (just seeing if you're still reading)

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
Do you actually "buy" them from a branch (ie do you pay them money), or do they transfer goods to you as an internal transaction?
Either way, the process sounds like "Repackaging Goods for the UK Market".
What terminology suits the people who are involved in the process?

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Internally sourced
Self sourced
Repack goods
Anastasia
Sister company sourcing
Redivisioned goods

All are possible names to use....good luck with the coddling!

somashekar

Leader
Admin

We are the UK arm of a worldwide manufacturer. One of our defined business processes involves purchasing of goods made in our various other manufacturing branches and repacking them for the UK market.

This process used to be called 'Factored Goods', but one of our bureaucrats has had a bit of a strop because this isn't - in his view - what Factored Goods actually means. Problem is, I'm really struggling to come up with a concise alternative.

I think the term is OK if you are purchasing goods from other manufacturing branches at a discount., or doing the repackaging on commission basis.
Factored goods are products which are purchased sold or distributed by a site but which undergo no process at the audited factory. Factored goods are often products bought in by a company to compliment the range of products manufactured at the site to provide a more comprehensive product range. Packing or repacking operations are classed as a process and would not be classed as factored goods. Source: Frequently Asked Questions BRC Food Standard Issue 6

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I've never heard the term 'Factored Goods' before.

Factoring is earning a commission by selling goods made by another. In my company, factored goods is a term applied to product manufactured by another company, but brand labeled with our company name. We use it to fill gaps in our product lineup.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

What about Inter-company goods or Inter-company repackaging?

Top Bottom