Supplier Re-evaluation Methods

M

maxwell

Greetings:

I am wondering what methods are being used to re-evaluate suppliers. My company requires that an initial supplier survey form be completed and is now trying to determine what method to use for re-evaluation of approved suppliers. Re-evaluation needs to be done annually; the initial supplier survey form is a bit long so we are looking to streamline the re-evaluation process. I am interested in how other companies are re-evaluating their suppliers. I appreciate any insight fellow cover's may have. Thanks in advance

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Supplier Re-evaluation

Greetings:

I am wondering what methods are being used to re-evaluate suppliers. My company requires that an initial supplier survey form be completed and is now trying to determine what method to use for re-evaluation of approved suppliers. Re-evaluation needs to be done annually; the initial supplier survey form is a bit long so we are looking to streamline the re-evaluation process. I am interested in how other companies are re-evaluating their suppliers. I appreciate any insight fellow cover's may have. Thanks in advance

I'm not a fan of supplier surveys, having been inundated with them myself, but if you have one for initial qualification, subsequent evaluations should be based on performance.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
You are asking within the context of medical devices, correct?

BradM

Leader
Admin
Good point, Marc.

Maxwell, generally what I have seen are the suppliers classified according to risk. So, according to risk, there are different components documented, one of which is if any failures/non-conformances have been observed with that vendor.

I have seen checklists, with the choices being an evaluation that the vendor has been performing satisfactory within their duties. I have also seen each person write up a paragraph or so for each vendor. Without any guidance or framework, they become very subjective and varied.

Just a thought.... instead of making every vendor an annual re-evaluation, why not evaluate them according to risk?

R

rlsavard

Although we are still in the implementation process of ISO 9001, we sent out initial supplier questionairres to all of our suppliers. If we received them back they automatically went on the approved supplier list based on the fact that we have good history with them. Those suppliers that didn't return them we added anyway if they were a main supplier based on the same rule. From this point on if we need to add a supplier we will send out a questionairre to all potential suppliers and decide from there based on their responses, certifications, cost, and other criteria defined in our process. As for reviews--we are going to review them on an on-going basis. Just issued a supplier several (7) NCRs in a 2 month span and, of course, they are now history.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
You are asking within the context of medical devices, correct?
This requirement is perhaps as stated in the ISO 9001. The format based re-evaluation has somehow got into use by some organizations and has spread across to many others. Once a evaluated supplier ... why do you want to re-evaluate him ... ?
1. He may not have supplied to you for a long time and you do not know his capabilities now ?
2. He has shifted his premises and you are not certain how good the new site is ?
3. You have changed your requirements and would like to know if he is capable now to meet your new requirement ?
4. He has requested change in process / has added newer or better facilities and you would like to know his abilities and competency to continue meeting your requirement ?
5. His supplies quality has concerns and your data analysis reflects that you have to evaluate him again ?
6. You have requested supplier corrective actions and would like to know how effective he is in sustaining the CA that he has implemented ?
You can think of many other situations which warrants you to reassure yourself that the supplier is indeed good for you to meet the requirement.
Many of us are tied to this annual affair for re-evaluation and then use of forms for the same. The spirit and essence is lost in this and paperwork is built.

Last edited:
C

Cornwap

Hi Maxwell,

I am also in favour re-evaluation based on performance. The important element is determining what aspects of their performance you choose. Ideally this would be those aspects that have the biggest impact on you.

As has been suggested elsewhere the the impact / risk of individual suppliers to your process could also be used in determining how often they are re-evaluated.

Finally I think that it is always worth stressing to suppliers that this process is about prioritising supplier development, not for deselecting them (although this may be the eventual outcome in some problematic cases).

Best regards
Phil

D

DrM2u

Greetings:

I have see many ways to 'skin the cat' related to supplier evaluations. I have seen anything from the 'on-going' to the formal monthly/quarterly supplier performance reports and beyond. Some methods were well suited for the organizations, some were too superficial and ineffective, and others were very detailed (also cumbersome, rigid & ineffective). Here are a few pointers:

- Your organization has to define the criteria for supplier evaluation. Consideration should be given to the value of evaluation (cost vs. benefit) in deciding how many criteria to establish.
- There is no rule or requirement that you have to measure all suppliers the same way. Consideration should be given to the risk/importance of the product purchased in deciding how to measure/evaluate each supplier.
- Ther is no requirement that you evaluate all suppliers annually, unless you say so in YOUR own procedure. Like others have suggested, frequency can be based on risk and/or on-going
- Many ERP software packages incorporate Purchasing modules and have reporting functions. Start there and see what tools you already have available before re-inventing the wheel or investing/spending more money in evaluation tools.
- Do not over-do it! An auditor will let you know if what you do is not enough but rarely tell you that is too much. You don't want to create another department within your organization that does nothing but monitor suppliers' performance. Believe me, I have seen that first hand in the automotive industry.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
<snip>You don't want to create another department within your organization that does nothing but monitor suppliers' performance. Believe me, I have seen that first hand in the automotive industry.

Well, to be fair, the automotive (supplier) industry has to dance to a different tune. "Another department" may be overkill, but many supplier (performance) requirements are imposed by ISO/TS 16949:2009 and various Customer Specific Requirements (CSR's).

Just to clarify. ;)

Stijloor.

Top Bottom