TS 16949 Stage 1 Readiness Review for remote location processes...?

S

Sharon_Noble

Morning all;

Our location in Canada is TS certified and we have a manufacturing site in Mexico that is going for their Stage 1 Readiness Review the end of July. My questions are mainly regarding processes that are carried out in the Canadian facility such as Supplier Performance, Customer Satisfaction, Operational Performance Trends etc.... Would someone from our facility here need to be on location in Mexico to show how we meet those requirements? We are having our TS surveilance audit for the Canadian site in Sept, and all those requirements can be audited then but how will the Mexico plant pass the Stage 1 unless these documents are audited? Could they review our last TS audit as evidence? I am not really sure how this would be accomplished. Anyone else go through this that could help me?:frust:
Thanks

R

ralphsulser

Re: Stage 1 Readiness Review for remote location processes...?

My opinion is that if the Mexico plant is going for a stand alone TS16949 QMS registration , then they need those same systems in place for their plant, not yours. I was in a similar situation with 3 plants and each had to do a complete systems implementation for their own plant. We had a parent plant in Japan that supplied us with technicial support and some products and had to submit copies of their certifications and audit reports to back up our plant. I don't know how your systems and documents can help your Mexican plant unless you aer the parent plant supplying technicial support and/or products.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

Morning all;

Our location in Canada is TS certified and we have a manufacturing site in Mexico that is going for their Stage 1 Readiness Review the end of July. My questions are mainly regarding processes that are carried out in the Canadian facility such as Supplier Performance, Customer Satisfaction, Operational Performance Trends etc.... Would someone from our facility here need to be on location in Mexico to show how we meet those requirements? We are having our TS surveilance audit for the Canadian site in Sept, and all those requirements can be audited then but how will the Mexico plant pass the Stage 1 unless these documents are audited? Could they review our last TS audit as evidence? I am not really sure how this would be accomplished. Anyone else go through this that could help me?:frust:
Thanks

I do not know if you are the Headquarter that can provide assistance for this.
If so , you should also pursue a Corporate approach for Certification, otherwise I completely agree with Ralph as well. In this case this Mexican Site shall also prepare a their own manual, their own mandatory procedure, show the interaction of their processes, show KPI, trends , Management reviews, Customer satisfaction and so on :bigwave:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Morning all;

Thanks

First of all you need to talk to your registrar to discuss the details of your situation.

However, it is possible that you can classify the Canadian location as a support location. Support locations can include purchasing, supplier development, warranty, engineering, validation labs as an example. These sites are support sites and must be audited by a TS auditor prior to the manufacturing site audit.

So it is possible. Now, of course you have to document what clauses / processes are done outside the Mx facility and how the interfacing is set-up.

As I said, discuss with your registrar before the stage 1. Communicate, communicate.

qusys

First of all you need to talk to your registrar to discuss the details of your situation.

However, it is possible that you can classify the Canadian location as a support location. Support locations can include purchasing, supplier development, warranty, engineering, validation labs as an example. These sites are support sites and must be audited by a TS auditor prior to the manufacturing site audit.

So it is possible. Now, of course you have to document what clauses / processes are done outside the Mx facility and how the interfacing is set-up.

As I said, discuss with your registrar before the stage 1. Communicate, communicate.

From the starting post, I have understood that the Mexican facility is a manufacturing site, so they should be certified ISO TS for their manufacturing processes.
On the contrary, the Headquarte could be considered Support Function, am I right?
However , another point to be considered is this : how do they deal with product design? Has the Mexican site the design of the product or is this provided by Headquartef function? In any case they cannot exclude the process design!:bigwave:

Kales Veggie

From the starting post, I have understood that the Mexican facility is a manufacturing site, so they should be certified ISO TS for their manufacturing processes.
On the contrary, the Headquarte could be considered Support Function, am I right?
However , another point to be considered is this : how do they deal with product design? Has the Mexican site the design of the product or is this provided by Headquartef function? In any case they cannot exclude the process design!:bigwave:

Depending on their organizational structure, the process design does not have to be at their location. Both product and process design can be done at another location (in a different country for that matter).

Only the manufacturing site can have an ISO/TS 16949 certificate, per IATF rules !

qusys

Depending on their organizational structure, the process design does not have to be at their location. Both product and process design can be done at another location (in a different country for that matter).

Only the manufacturing site can have an ISO/TS 16949 certificate, per IATF rules !

My understanding of ISO TS standard is that one site can exclude only product design par. 7.3 ( if they have no design inside, for the Site which apply for certification), but in no way they can exclude manufacturing process design.
For example, lay-out of equipment ( and associated changes) in a specific site can affect manufacturing process design and this is peculiar only to that site.
WHat about?:bigwave:

Kales Veggie

My understanding of ISO TS standard is that one site can exclude only product design par. 7.3 ( if they have no design inside, for the Site which apply for certification), but in no way they can exclude manufacturing process design.
For example, lay-out of equipment ( and associated changes) in a specific site can affect manufacturing process design and this is peculiar only to that site.
WHat about?:bigwave:

True, it is not an exclusion. It is a support site. Process Design can be done by a sister company in a different city. That site has to be audited as part of the registration and will be listed on the certificate. I am familiar with an engine manufacturer that produces engines in one location (that has the certificate) but product design and process design are one at other company locations. Those two locations are listed on the certificate as support organizations.

qusys

True, it is not an exclusion. It is a support site. Process Design can be done by a sister company in a different city. That site has to be audited as part of the registration and will be listed on the certificate. I am familiar with an engine manufacturer that produces engines in one location (that has the certificate) but product design and process design are one at other company locations. Those two locations are listed on the certificate as support organizations.

Thank you, understood.
But it seems to strange to me that this site does not make any changes on their manufacturing process design, also to improve their processes, upon their own decision based upon their continuous improvement process.
Anyway I caught your point and respect your experience in this sense.
At the end of the story, all supply chain shall respond to ISO TS requirements.:bigwave:

C

Citizen Kane

Hi !

For the manufacturing plant will be a stand alone audit. Same in our location. The auding team verified only our plant related systems, not the parent location. The only mention was in our presentation as a know-how transfer and so on.

So, they have to prepare with their specific situation/documents/info.

Top Bottom