The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Conformance Audit Template/Help - Audit of my QMS to the ISO standard

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
audit checklist, forms and templates (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 6th August 2009, 01:49 PM
Dee3712

Total Posts: 6
Please Help! Conformance Audit Template/Help - Audit of my QMS to the ISO standard

HI! First post, long time "lurker". During my last certification audit the auditor asked me about my "conformance audit". Having no idea what he was talking about he explained that I needed to have documentation of an audit of my QMS to the ISO standard and the various regulations I state we conform to. I've searched for a template of a "conformance" or "compliance" audit and only found a 28 pager. How have others met this obligation Or is my auditor going "overboard"?

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 6th August 2009, 03:08 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,459
Caution Re: Conformance Audit Template/Help

Overboard!

Is there a requirement, clearly stated in 13485?? I haven't got it open in front of me......

However, it may be that the auditor is 'fishing' for you to make your internal audit program a little stronger in some respect. Often, the auditor's thoughts come out (verbally) differently to the intentions! Do you cover regulatory requirements when you do your internal audits? Do you ensure your audit program has some feature of ensuring compliance to the ISO 13485 requirements? If not, then you've got work to do!

As for doing a 'stand alone' conformance audit - it appears to me to be a personal wish....
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 6th August 2009, 04:56 PM
cclee

Total Posts: 31
Re: Conformance Audit Template/Help - Audit of my QMS to the ISO standard

Hi, we had a similar minor nonconformance from our third party auditor for not assessing our quality management system against requirements of MDD. It was our misconception that assessment to the requirements of MDD was not required because we currently do not have any CE marked devices in the EU market even though we still maintain the procedures and certificate.

As a result, we added MDD requirements in the audit schedule, audit reports and audit checklists in the audit criteria, and provided documented evidence that we have assessed our QMS(audit topics) against the stated standard.

Characteristics of Conformance Audit (referenced in ASQ CQA-study Module 1 section C):
"Conformance audits are designed to give assurance that activities have been performed according to stated rules. Such audits do not question the rules themselves but verify implementation of written procedures, requirements, or standards"

Hope this helps,
cclee
Thanks to cclee for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th August 2009, 11:28 AM
Vincnet

Total Posts: 74

Hello Dee,
I came accross this one recently, in fact you need to address in your internal audits conformance to any regulations that you need to comply to in order to be allowed to market in a specific country. in other words you need an audit Check-List for the MDD directive an other one for the CMDCAS an other one for Japan, an opther one for 21CFR part 820 according to the countries you are marketing your devices in.
the following are extracted from ISO 13485 and 14969
ISO 13485 promotes the adoption of a process approach when developing, implementing and improving the effectiveness of a quality management system, with the objective of meeting customer and regulatory requirements and providing medical devices that meet customer and regulatory requirements.

Conformance to ISO 13485 quality management system requirements does not automatically constitute conformity with national or regional regulatory requirements. It is the organization’s responsibility to identify and establish compliance with relevant regulatory requirements.

4.2 Documentation requirements
4.2.1 General
The quality management system documentation shall include
f) any other documentation specified by national or regional regulations
5.6.2 Review input
The input to management review shall include information on
h) new or revised regulatory requirements.
The management review is intended to see if ...regulatory requirements are
being met.

More over ISO 14469 explains:

For the purposes of management review and even for the purposes of design input (see 7.3.2 of ISO 13485), the “regulatory requirements” referred to are any laws published or otherwise enacted by any government that establish legal prerequisite conditions in order to
— place a medical device on the market,
— make a medical device available for use,
— install a medical device, or
— implement a related service.

Such regulatory requirements are only applicable to an organization if they have entered or plan to enter a particular market or region where such requirements exist. A portion of the management review should be devoted to an understanding of the organization’s regulatory compliance status as well as action plans to ensure such compliance is established and maintained.

from there your auditor request makes sense.
Hope this helps.
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th August 2009, 11:51 AM
Dee3712

Total Posts: 6

Supremely useful information...Thanks so much to everyone.

Would you suggest that I add a "standards & regulations review" section to my internal quality audit report form (see attached) OR manage it another way?
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: docx (IQAR) Internal Quality Audit Report Rev 08-2009 .docx (31.9 KB, 3558 views)
Thanks to Dee3712 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 7th August 2009, 12:08 PM
Vincnet

Total Posts: 74

I was running out of space to say that I solved the issue with a procedure stating that when we want to address a new market, part of the process is to define the specific regulatory requirements of this market and to set-up a specific audit check-list. As our auditor requested us to defined exactly what was assessed a sentence saying that while auditing the said process compliance to MDD or CMDCAS requirements was assessed.
So in my opinion your proposal wouldn't stand. but I might be wrong in my interpretation.
V
  Post Number #7  
Old 7th August 2009, 12:17 PM
AndyN

Total Posts: 8,459
Question Re: Conformance Audit Template/Help - Audit of my QMS to the ISO standard

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by cclee View Post

Characteristics of Conformance Audit (referenced in ASQ CQA-study Module 1 section C):
"Conformance audits are designed to give assurance that activities have been performed according to stated rules. Such audits do not question the rules themselves but verify implementation of written procedures, requirements, or standards"
What's this but a normal, internal audit?
  Post Number #8  
Old 7th August 2009, 04:52 PM
cclee

Total Posts: 31

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by AndyN View Post

What's this but a normal, internal audit?
Hi AndyN, not sure if this answers your question but here's the overall quality audit types (sorry its easier to see in a flow chart)

Audit types
Product audit, Process Audit, System Audit

System audits
Internal Audits & External Audits

Internal audits: First-Party Audits =Performance Audits + Conformance audits

External Audits
Second-Party Audits & Third-Party Audits = Conformance audits

ASQ CQA module 1 section C:
“Performance audits assess the effectiveness of an organization’s processes in achieving the organization’s business goals. Where conformance audits are reactive and do not question the rules, performance audits are more proactive and challenge how well the rules contribute to organization business objectives.”

Also, Desk Audit is lower tier document review prior to stark of fieldwork.

Cheers,
cclee

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Medical Devices, Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics > Medical Device Related Standards > ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems