The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

5S Presentation for Grade School Students Grades 3 to 8

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
lean, lean concepts, presentations, educational institutions and sector, training (general), schools (general topics), 5s workplace organization methodology

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:53 AM
Mugur

Total Posts: 4
Please Help! 5S Presentation for Grade School Students Grades 3 to 8

Hello There,

I am a new member of this site; I hope my thread finds you all well!

I am in search for a 20-30 min 5S presentation customized to accommodate grade school students - grades 3 to 8 -. I have been volunteering with schools for many years doing various types of projects with students that are highly motivated not only in their school work but also extra curriculum activities. I usually come up with suggestions and then we apply them in different settings. We did everything from building benches for school to participate in LEGO robot competitions and from various science experiments and visits to Science Museums to making our own ice-cream.

My next goal is to introduce them to Lean - particularly 5S - in a way they can relate to. I have a lot of material from my many years in the field. However, knowing what makes the young students to be interested in participating, the examples and the overall presentation structure used in the industry are not going to be successful.

If you have anything in this direction I would appreciate it. Even if only pictures from the students' world - e.g. school, home, playrooms etc. - would do it as then I can build the presentation based on them. The industrial and office examples I have would not be of interest to them.

Thank you in advance for answering to my call. I am looking forward to the forums on this site!

Cheers,

George

Last edited by Stijloor; 17th January 2010 at 10:04 AM.

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:03 AM
Jim Wynne

Total Posts: 14,160
Re: 5S Presentation for Grade School Students Grades 3 to 8

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Mugur View Post

Hello There,

I am a new member of this site; I hope my thread finds you all well!

I am in search for a 20-30 min 5S presentation customized to accommodate grade school students - grades 3 to 8 -. I have been volunteering with schools for many years doing various types of projects with students that are highly motivated not only in their school work but also extra curriculum activities. I usually come up with suggestions and then we apply them in different settings. We did everything from building benches for school to participate in LEGO robot competitions and from various science experiments and visits to Science Museums to making our own ice-cream.

My next goal is to introduce them to Lean - particularly 5S - in a way they can relate to. I have a lot of material from my many years in the field. However, knowing what makes the young students to be interested in participating, the examples and the overall presentation structure used in the industry are not going to be successful.

If you have anything in this direction I would appreciate it. Even if only pictures from the students' world - e.g. school, home, playrooms etc. - would do it as then I can build the presentation based on them. The industrial and office examples I have would not be of interest to them.

Thank you in advance for answering to my call. I am looking forward to the forums on this site!

Cheers,

George
Welcome to the Cove.
I doubt that you're going to find presentations on 5S that don't involve some sort of industrial or business application, and are suitable for elementary-school kids. The first idea that comes to my mind is using a classroom as an example. It shouldn't be too difficult to look at a primary school classroom and think of ways to demonstrate 5S.
BTW, I think it's a good thing to introduce basic concepts like to kids in school, but you should also help them to understand application outside of the classroom, through use of industrial applications.

Last edited by Stijloor; 17th January 2010 at 10:04 AM.
Thanks to Jim Wynne for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:21 AM
Mugur

Thank you for the suggestion. I do plan on doing a small LEGO game and show them what is 5S all about. My plan was to introduce it for 15-20 minutes in a more formal way, play the game and then do a jeopardy or similar for both, fun and review of what we learned.

Thank you again!

g
  Post Number #4  
Old 16th January 2010, 01:50 AM
RadhaKrishna Sunkara

I really admire your idea of implementing 5S in schools. Although I have not come across and presentations for kids, but it’s a good idea to impart education to Kids. I was always interested in teaching kids.

Some Examples that I can think of are:

Seiri : Books, Back packs, Closets in School and at Home. Teaching them how to divide necessary from unnecessary ones

Seiton : A place for everything. Kids need to learn “Keep things in designated place". You can create examples at school and also create examples for Home

Seisou, Seiketsu : Train kids in Cleanliness. You can also create assignments for Fun with Check sheets, ranking and add Small incentives to encourage Kids. This can be a School Activity where each class can be ranked for Seisou.

Shitsuke : Kids can be given activities to create procedures, identify and summarize things based on above 3'S

You can also assign teams to do 5S Activities in School or create summer activities to encourage Discipline among school kids.
  Post Number #5  
Old 17th January 2010, 09:55 AM
Mugur

Thank you for the hints RadhaKrishna. I will have a session with grade school student in a couple of weeks. I will use a story that I came up w/ that takes them through the steps of learning what 5S is all about. I also had my daughter helping me w/ pictures of a messy room - it wasn't difficult...! - and then the progress she made doing - partially though - the first 3Ss. She is 8 yrs old so can't ask a lot more from the standardization side without making her not enjoying the stuff anymore. The good part is that the room - although not as good as just before the activities - it is maintained at a decent level, just by eliminating a lot of unused or obsolete stuff.

Anyway, I have two websites that you might want to take a look. If you are interested in Lean and also school level stuff you might find them useful.

If you shoot me an e-mail in a couple of weeks, I will give you more info after I actually meet the students.

Cheers,

Mugur

Last edited by Stijloor; 17th January 2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Company name should be in the profile.
Thanks to Mugur for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 17th January 2010, 01:39 PM
DrM2u

Total Posts: 777

I have found a related article in the ASQ's Quality Progress magazine from May 2007. The article is titled "5S for Families" by Davorka Filipusic. I am not sure if it is copyrighted, so I hesitate to post a copy of the article here. However, you can send an e-mail to editior@asq.org and see if they can give you a copy of the article. It is very interesting and directly related to what you're doing. It even has a flow chart for 5S. Good luck and for the great work that you're doing!
  Post Number #7  
Old 17th January 2010, 04:13 PM
Mugur

Hello DrM2U and thank you for the hint! I have been an ASQ member for many years and I have the issue you are referring to. It is definitely interesting at a college level. I have taught adults for many years in Lean Six Sigma as now I teach at university. However, the grade school kids need to have such a concept presented quite different then college students would.

I will combine all I learned from answers like yours and come up w/ hopefully something interesting for 10 years olds!

Thank you again,

George

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Manufacturing, Service, and Business Systems Processes > Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries