Setting up an eTraining system at my company

F

fletch

I am looking to set up a eTraining system at my company. Has anyone else done this yet? I would like to set up something easy that not only informs people but tests them along the way. Any suggestions would be helpful as this is totally new for me...

Thank you...

D

DrM2u

Re: eTraining

Electronic (CBT) training is a great idea if you have the money and resources for it. I am not sure if you are talking about developing your own training or purchasing and making training available internally via the intranet. There are many considerations to take in account when deciding on implementing CBT. Please be a little more specific about the training you are looking to implement and if you need some of these consideration brought up for your reference.

D

David DeLong

Re: eTraining

I don't know exactly what your definition of e training is but I have presented live online seminars (webinars) in GD&T and I just love it. I have found that many people are timid about using their computers for this kind of training but it works better than standing up in front of a bunch of people and delivering a seminar.

You could have online tests and have each attendee place their answers on the computer screen at the same time. We can all talk using our computers and your could also have other people from other companies attend the online seminars.

Good luck!

A

andygr

So much in this field the sky is the limit.
For easy that is a releative term.

Lots said on both sides as to the benifits and drawbacks. I personaly think it is a function of what gets put into it. A poor powerpoint silde presentation is poor presentation no matter what form it takes. Good training presentation is a skill and not all traininers can platform well and vice a versa. I am a strong advocate for the use of technology in education.

For a platform that holds your classes and keeps track of testing take a look at Moodle http://moodle.org/ which is free ( no affiliation) and fairly easy to use.

Most schools use Blackboard which will cost you.
Bigger companies use things like Sum Total and CourseMill.

For more advnanced course creation there software such as Toolbook and Lectora.

F

fletch

Thanks for responses and yes, I did leave it a little open ended. We are small in employee size (70) with 5 locations across the US. When I first started 2 years ago we had 4 separate quality systems each doing the same thing. I condensed the quality system into one and have trained everyone to the procedures. Now 2 years later, I feel sitting everyone down in a room to go over procedure training is a loser in a big way. I think if I could develop or pay a company to develop a online etraining session that covers our safety program and our procedure training we would be much better off. This would bring our system to a whole new dimension. Everyone uses a computer so I'm not dealing with folks who are affraid to be involved. I think it would be exciting with real employee interaction with the process. Involve tests to provide evidence of effectiveness, manage who is trained in what segments, the whole deal. I've used webinars before and been involved with this type of training, however, I have never set anything like this up myself. We are ISO9001:2000, AS9100, and AS9120. This is going to be a huge challenge, but I didn't know if there are any of you that use this where you work? and how did it get set up? and who did you use? I see there are lots of companies out there that offer solutions. I'm thinking a couple grand is not a big deal to kick this off....thoughts?

D

DrM2u

:caution: I'd like to add one 'word of caution'. Make sure that the training delivery method suits the learners' level of competency else you'll end up with another good intention and great idea gone down the drain. If the delivery method is outside or above learners' abilities & competencies then it creates the need for more learning on their side. I know that I don't like or want to spend my time learning something that I don't or shouldn't have to. I think it is hard to overcome a negative or resentful attitude towards learning.

M

Meatgrinder

I know this is an older post but I just joined and I have set up several online training portals for clients and for myself. If you are still in the market for ideas I would be happy to share.

Top Bottom