Objectives and KPI's (Key Performance / Process Indicators) S 5.4.1 of ISO 9001

K

kgott

I was going over the requirements of this section with some key people yesterday and got caught out:(. I was asked what’s the difference between objectives and KPI’s?

I know this should be elementary and I’m sure I read about this once but I had to admit I didn’t know so does anyone know of a good (I won’t say definitive) reference about this I can learn from?

The question was based on the question, could the metrics for measuring progress towards an objective be KPI data??

thanks - k

K

keres

Re: Objectives and KPI's (Key Process Indicators) S 5.4.1 of ISO 9001

Actually the difference is not so great. It was born in the minds of those who work on "Management". If you read the ITIL will be even more confused. There is talk about - vision, mission, goals, objectives, CSF, KPI, mestrics. We are talking about similar things - what should be done? The difference is only in how much detail to describe it.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource

I was going over the requirements of this section with some key people yesterday and got caught out:(. I was asked what’s the difference between objectives and KPI’s?

I know this should be elementary and I’m sure I read about this once but I had to admit I didn’t know so does anyone know of a good (I won’t say definitive) reference about this I can learn from?

The question was based on the question, could the metrics for measuring progress towards an objective be KPI data??

thanks - k

Usually the objective is composed of a statement, while KPI is a formula or a mathematic indication to have a final number, that the organization has set to pursue and achieve that objective ( quality objective or business objective, this is another querelle...). The KPI is useful if you can analyse the related trend on a certain time base so that you can understand if you are on the right way.:bigwave:

B

Bonhomme

Wouldn't the objective be where you want to go (more or less detailed, from "I want to reach Paris" to "I'll leave on monday morning, stop in Rennes for monday night and then take road # to Paris")
while the KPI would be more the GPS/compass/clock you check to know if you're going in the right direction/sticking to your plan ?

Our would the objective be, for each "measuring stuff", the value you want to reach (gps coordinates, compass precise direction, departure/arrival times, and average speed required to make it on time) ?

Big Jim

Admin

They are often the same, but don't need to be.

Quality objectives answer 5.4.1.

KPI (key performance indicators, aka key process indicators) help to answer 8.2.3, monitoring and measurement of processes.

There is nothing wrong with aligning them, and many do.

A clue to what thoses metrics can be can be found in 8.4.

C

cpchandrasekaran

I understand objectives are what we want the organisation to be in say 2015 eg delivery time to be 3 days. KPI is what we are measuring today say 4 days. objectives help us in changing the organisation while KPIs help us in running the organisation. except in a generic manner, these cannot be related on one to one as one is focussed on future and the other in present.

somashekar

Leader
Admin

thanks - k
The ISO9001:2008 at 5.4.1 says .... The quality objectives shall be measurable and consistent with the quality policy.
So we talk about measurable objectives.
From this I take the meaning as
Objective = Intention, Goal, Target, Statement of my desire
Measurable = KPI

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

...The question was based on the question, could the metrics for measuring progress towards an objective be KPI data??

thanks - k

The specific answer is yes, if....

If you set an objective, target, goal...you want to measure your progress toward achieving or realizing the objective. If the KPI measures that progress, then it would be the "metrics for measuring progress towards an objective."

K

kgott

Thanks all, good info which I think can be summed up as:

'measurable objectives which are measured by numbers and numbers are numbers irrispective of what they called so long as they tell us about progress or otherwise towards the stated objective.'

thanks - k

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

thanks - k
KPIs make objectives quantifiable, providing visibility into the performance of individuals, teams, departments and organizations and enabling decision makers to take action in achieving the desired outcomes. In short, KPI's are metrics, but they are metrics that are explicitly linked to an objective.

The challenge is to identify which metrics are truly KPI's.

Top Bottom