The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Document Control Procedure - Ideas - Examples Attached

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
document control, procedures (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 24th February 2003, 02:51 PM
DWPOZE

Total Posts: 47
Look! Document Control Procedure - Ideas - Examples Attached

Does anyone have Document Control Procedure that I can look at for some ideas?

Thanks,

Dennis
Thanks to DWPOZE for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 24th February 2003, 04:45 PM
CarolX

Total Posts: 2,168
i will do it like this

Dennis,

Here is my old Doc & data control from my manual.

1.0 All documents affecting quality shall be controlled and maintained. Each department manager is authorized to approve documents, or to assign a designate.

2.0 Documents shall be released and controlled by the department having the responsibility for that document.

3.0 Detailed procedures are available for each department. Procedures shall include instructions for assuring the correct issue is in use, removal of invalid or obsolete documents, and identification of any obsolete documents that must be retained for legal and/or knowledge-preservation purposes.

4.0 Forms used for documenting activities related to this system shall contain an identification number except for any form developed and purchased prior to the release of this document and forms generated by the job system computer.

5.0 Quality Department

5.1 The Quality Department shall have control over the following documents:
Quality Manual
Quality Procedures
Inspection Instructions

6.0 Engineering Department

6.1 The Engineering Department shall have control over the following documents:
Engineering Procedures
Manufacturing Procedures
Purchasing Procedures
Drawings
Job Packet Documents
Work Instructions

7.0 Purchasing Department

7.1 The Purchasing Department shall have control over the following documents:
Purchase Orders
Approved Vendors List

8.0 Human Resource Department

8.1 The Human Resources Department shall have control over the following documents:
New Employee Orientation
Employee Handbook
Training Manuals

9.0 Document And Data Changes

9.1 Changes to documents can be requested by the following methods:

9.1.1 Verbally

9.1.2 Submitting a marked-up copy to the Department Manager

9.1.3 Product Change Request form.

9.2 Only the issuing department has the ability and authority to make changes. Changes may require a revision level change. Changes require the same review and approval as the original. Procedures are released as they are issued or revised.

Covers the basics.
Lift away!!!!

CarolX
Thank You to CarolX for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 25th February 2003, 10:16 AM
ralphsulser

Total Posts: 1,573
Dennis,
Here is our procedure we are updating
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc qc sp 003.doc (43.0 KB, 5098 views)
Thank You to ralphsulser for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 25th February 2003, 11:10 AM
Shaun Daly

Total Posts: 95
Here is our ISO:1994 doc procedure.
Attached Files: 1. Scan for viruses before using, 2. Please report any 'bad' files by Reporting this post, 3. Use at your Own Risk.
File Type: doc tcop-020 iss6.doc (77.0 KB, 3226 views)
Thank You to Shaun Daly for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 25th February 2003, 11:18 AM
CarolX

Total Posts: 2,168
Re: Re: i will do it like this

Quote:
Jim Wade said:

Not getting at CarolX in particular (her post just triggered the thought) I have a general question....

Why is it so common for procedures to use the shall word?

It seems so stiff and formal and is a word rarely used in normal business - why not use people's everyday language?

For example: "we control and maintain our documents"; "departments release and control their own documents"

Just a thought...

rgds Jim
Jim,

That is kinda a carry over from my old days as a QM for Dept of Defense contractors. Semantics was everything with them. If you used anything less, you were not in compliance with their standard. Perhaps that is why you see it so often, especially since the 1994 version of ISO9000 was almost a duplicate of MIL-Q-9858. Many of us are using a revamped version of our old Quality Manuals.

Hope that clears it a bit.

Regards,
CarolX
  Post Number #6  
Old 25th February 2003, 01:46 PM
apestate

Total Posts: 518
I have a question on the subject. Something has been bothering me for a while about 4.2.3 in ISO 9001:2000

(c) to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified,

What is this subclause talking about, exactly? I see drawings with changes identified by a letter, and that letter corresponds with a log indicating changes...

I also see procedural documents listing the changes made to each revision in a document history sort of section..

ensuring the current revision status is simple enough. dash one at the end of the document number does it for me. am I reading too much into this? If I were to interpret this one way, it would stipulate a list of document revisions on every form.

I have the details of document revisions elsewhere.

what does it mean to ensure that changes and the current revision status of documents are identified, and where will these changes be recorded?
  Post Number #7  
Old 25th February 2003, 02:52 PM
db

Total Posts: 2,590
atetsade, first of all it does not say that these two items must be met by the same act. For example, you might identify the current revision status on the document itself. However, you might identify changes (on this document) are identified through training (this could be the best way for changes in the steps of a work instruction).

Different documents can use different means. As you stated, perhaps on drawings you use a letter to designate the rev level (common practice). On procedures you use a dash followed by the rev number.

The key point here is that anyone using the document knows what revision level they need and if there is a change, they must know what the change was. They should not have to disect the document, and compare it to the old document, to find out what changed.

So the two questions are:
Is the document current?
How do I know what changed?

Hope that helps.
  Post Number #8  
Old 25th February 2003, 04:03 PM
M Greenaway

Total Posts: 1,657
Jim

I think the 'shall' statements are there to make the statements auditable (in a compliance sense of course), and also I think it has certain legal importance. Also maybe it is grammatically more correct to say 'departments shall control their own documents' in a sentence.

Of course I might be talking b@llocks again !!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Common Quality Assurance Processes and Tools > Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates