The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums More Free Files Forum Discussion Thread Post Attachments Listing Cove Discussion Forums Main Page
UL - Underwriters Laboratories - Health Sciences
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Elsmar Cove Forum Essentials > Forum News and General Information
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

The Elsmar Cove Site and Forums 'Breakdown' & Options as of June 2017

Elsmar XML RSS Feed
Elsmar Cove Forum RSS Feed

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Sponsor Links

Courtesy Quick Links

Links that Cove visitors will find useful in your quest for knowledge:

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Standards Organization - ISO Standards and Information

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags (Not all threads are Tagged)
2017, elsmar, forum policies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 8th September 2001, 11:11 PM
Marc

Total Posts: 25,731
Caution The Elsmar Cove Site and Forums 'Breakdown' & Options as of June 2017

NOTE: This thread is from many years ago. It has been updated to reflect changes to October 2008 June 2017

I was able to import all the threads from the old UltimateBB 'system' into this new software, but not the oldest forums - The first forum software was WebBBS. The UltimateBB forums, although technically turned off - still exist. I did not delete them because there are so many outside links to threads in it. So - the old Ultimate BB Forum threads do still exist, but they are static pages..

This little bit of history is to help you understand how all this came about. And what is happening. The Cove is a site I set up almost 6 years ago (EDIT: Now, 2017, over 21 years ago {Not counting the 10 months offline...}) to help people and, until December 2003, almost everything was free and there was no advertising. I started selling Guide file sets in February 2001 and started the Members and Premium Access in September 2001 essentially because business was down that year and it costs me several thousand bucks a year to keep this site online. And that doesn't include the hours I have to put into maintaining the site every day of the year. Now, in 2017, all of this is free and available to all visitors without even registering in the forum.

As I'm sure you've noticed by now, this is not a "company" website. You might want to look at the Elsmar Cove as an alternative site. This is to say, there is a lot of independence here. And a lot of history, if you look for it. We've had some fights, political 'discussions' and - well, this isn't 'your father's forums'.

If you are new, Welcome! I hope your questions are answered and I hope you will participate - that you will help others when you 'know the answer' or have an opinion on something. In the end, we're all students.

I do hope this new vBulletin 'Forum' software, once you get used to it, will help you in your search for facts and knowledge. The Elsmar Cove has come a long way over the years. (EDIT: Now, in 2017, over 21 years online) - and the Elsmar Cove continues to evolve. With your participation and help, we'll be here 10 years from now if we all help each other! God willin' and the creek don't rise...

Welcome to the Elsmar Cove!!! Since January 1996, A Refuge from the Storm!

Last edited by Marc; 1st June 2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: General Revisions - June 2017

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 27th July 2003, 09:47 PM
Marc

Caution The Elsmar Cove Site and Forums Options - PLEASE READ!

Breakdown of the Elsmar Cove Web Site - June 2017

Site History:

This site was originally QS9000.com and it was originally called the "Cayman Cove". The "motto" was "Shelter from the Storm". QS9000.com went live on on the internet on 5 January 1996 and was renamed Elsmar.com in 2002 iirc (getting old... ). Quite a bit has changed over the years - Over 10 21 years have passed. The Forums are now the main focus of Elsmar. However, there is still a lot of information even in the the old site pages and the forum discussion pages. They provide a historical view of what has happened with respect to the standards and such over the years. This is not to mention, as many standards such as ISO 9001 change, when you look closely you will see the overall requirements haven't changed very much when you get right down to it.

The Elsmar Cove Discussion Forums

The first actual forums went online around May 1997 if I remember correctly. The original forums ran on Darryl Burgdorf's WebBBS - a set of perl scripts. The intent was to have a searchable database vs. options such as the old ListServs which depended upon email where information was hard to search for.

As much as I would like the forums to be entirely free of advertising, as they were in years past (1996 through 2004), as we all know much has changed on the internet over the years and where the economy is now. Back around March 2003 I changed the policy of free downloading of attachments to requiring Registration in the forum. The bandwidth was just too high. Many people would come and contribute nothing, not even a post to help someone with a question they could answer, grab what they could and not return. On 24 January 2004, restrictions on access to attachments in all forums except the "Contribution Access and Guide File Sets" forum were lifted. Since starting advertising with Google's AdSense in late December 2003, advertising revenue has been sufficient for me to lift the March 2003 restrictions on Post Attachments in all forums.

Edit April 2016: The "Contribution Access and Guide File Sets" forum is now free and accessible to everyone.

Elsmar is currently set up as follows:

Browsing Forums Without Registering - Free
  • You may browse and search all the forums.
  • If your intent is to simply scan/search for information, there is no advantage to registering.
  • You must register for Personal Messaging, Starting New Discussion Threads (to ask questions, for example) and Replying in existing Discussion Threads and several other forum functions.
  • Free to Everyone - To download post attachments in the forums.
Forums Registration - Free - Forums Registration allows one to:
  • a. Start New Threads in forums with New Questions, and to
    b. Reply to posts others make in threads.
    c. This also opens up Personal Messaging,
    d. Expanded Calendar functions,
    e. Activate 'Subscriptions' to threads and forums and other software controls and features such as E-Mail notification of New Posts to threads and/or New Posts / threads in specific forums which you choose.
  • Registering does require a VALID e-mail address. However, your e-mail address remains hidden from other users, 'bots' and e-mail harvesting site scans unless you put your email address in your User Profile. I do not sell, give away or otherwise reveal anyone's e-mail address. Nor do I send unsolicited e-mails such as offers or advertisements.
  • No time limit (accounts do not expire).
NOTE: Definition of Forum Member (Registered Visitor)

'Forum' scripts used to be relatively basic and the term 'Member' is a hangover from the past when if one 'Registered', one was typically defined as a 'Member'. The folks who wrote this set of php scripts use it liberally. The forum software is saturated with references to forum members. When a person Registers in the forum, technically one can say s/he is a Forum 'Member'.

NOTE: Definition of Subscription

'Subscriptions'.

In each forum there is a Drop Down link (Look for a link that is labeled "Forum Tools". You must be registered, and logged in, with "Cookies" enabled, for this option to be available to you to 'Subscribe' to that forum (or discussion thread):

There is also a link in each discussion thread allowing one to "Subscribe" to that thread. In this context, "Subscribe" means to receive notification(s) of new posts to that forum or thread by e-mail.

If you 'subscribe' to a thread or a forum you can ask the software to send you an e-mail notification whenever someone posts to that thread or forum either a) immediately, or b) in a Daily Digest or c) in a Weekly Digest.

You can set and change your Preferences in your User Control Panel. Please take a minute and check out your User Control Panel.

Notice "Edit Your Options" on the left sidebar.

And if you are already "Subscribed" to a discussion thread or a forum, you will see "Unsubscribe", instead of "Subscribe", in the case that you don't want to receive further notifications.

April 2016 - FREE 'Members' Directory Access

More Free Files on the Site - the Original "pdf files" Directory

Don't hesitate to E-Mail us if you have any questions.

Last edited by Marc; 2nd June 2017 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Updated April 2016 - Everything is now free!
Thank You to Marc for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
Sponsored Links

Post Number #3  
Old 7th April 2004, 02:15 AM
sal881vw

Total Posts: 154
I've been registered for just one month now. Connecting to the site is the first thing I do every morning.This is an excellent site, informative, helpful experts and above all it is a meeting place for persons that are continiouslly wanting to improve themselves and their company's commitment to be the best. Well done Marc and to all at The Elsmar Cove.
Thanks to sal881vw for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #4  
Old 7th April 2004, 03:07 AM
Claes Gefvenberg

Total Posts: 4,945
Thumbs up

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by sal881vw

Well done Marc and to all at The Elsmar Cove.
You said it... I'm hardly new around here, but I'm still amazed by the sheer magnitude of the information exchange. To top that off I have also made lots of friends in the Cove. It's still second to none...

/Claes
Thanks to Claes Gefvenberg for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #5  
Old 7th April 2004, 03:33 AM
Greg B

Total Posts: 831
Hi ALL

As I have stated in numerous threads over the past year that I have been a contributor(?) this is the best service on the web. The professionalism ,friendliness and willingness of everyone to contribute always astounds me. No matter what country or background you come from you can always shelter from the storm - in the cove. I always feel welcome and the responses are constructive, honest and realtime (given that I live in Australia). To Marc and all thankyou

PS. Marc - what do the colour codes for our login names signify? (I think I am red)

GregB
Thanks to Greg B for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #6  
Old 7th April 2004, 03:51 AM
Marc

I Say... User Group Name Colours and Brief HTML Colour Intro

Login names are colored by user group. These are set in the software 'preferences'. I can't remember any particular reason why I used the colours I did when I set this aspect of the software up. They can be easily changed.

See: User Group Name Colors and Brief HTML Color Intro

You are in the Contributor's user group ([COLOR=Navy]you have financially contributed, which I very much appreciate[/COLOR]) and on my computer it renders as an orange-gold. Technically Contributors names are [B][COLOR="Orange"]This color - FF6600[/color][/B]

[COLOR="Red"]Registered but Awaiting their Email Confirmation[/COLOR] - #CC0000
[COLOR="Sienna"]Registered[/COLOR] - #663300
Involved - [I][COLOR="Navy"]Post Access[/COLOR][/I] - #330099
[I][COLOR="Navy"]Courtesy Access[/COLOR][/I] - #006600
[B][COLOR="Orange"]Contributors[/COLOR][/B] - FF6600

NOTE: Some Moderators are Contributors so if you see someone you know is a Moderator and is the Contributor color, it's because the Contributor colour is over-riding the Moderator 'user class' as far as the name colour goes.

[B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Moderators[/COLOR][/B] - #006600
[B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Super Moderators[/COLOR][/I][/B] - #660000
[B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Administrators[/COLOR][/I][/B] - #990000

Those are the majors.

Check out:

http://www.kencole.org/et2assgn6.html
and
http://www.the-eggman.com/seminars/color_codes.html
and
http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/colors.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Color_Chart.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2045  

Last edited by Marc; 10th June 2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Revised to link to the definitive thread.
  Post Number #7  
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:07 PM
Marc

Thread updated - html removed and replaced with bbcode. I had forgotten I had turned html rendering off in all forums some time back.

BTW - If you come across a thread with html in it, please let me know and I'll strip it and correctly format the page.
  Post Number #8  
Old 26th February 2007, 03:23 PM
dmp06

Total Posts: 31
Re: The Elsmar Cove Site and Forums 'Breakdown' & Options - PLEASE READ!

Thanks Marc for clearing up alot of questions I had. Also, thanks for your time and patience with all who visit this forum.

DMP06
Thanks to dmp06 for your informative Post and/or Attachment!

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > Elsmar Cove Forum Essentials > Forum News and General Information