Ways to improve testing on our department - Project Kickoff

L

Lavendeer

:bigwave:
Hi all our project manager want us to present any ways to improve testing on our department.
one of my suggestion is to have separated project kickoff between QA and Developer.
Do thinks guys its a good idea?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Lavendeer, and welcome to The Cove. :bigwave:

I can't answer your question because I have no idea what your department does, what you're testing, what your projects are, what your Developer is/does, etc. Can you give us some background about your products and processes?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Agree with howste in general (needing more info for specific responses) but I can't think that increased communications / cooperation between QA and development would be a bad thing!

That said, just throwing process (kickoff meeting) at a problem may not be the best answer. How would you expect to improve testing effectiveness through such actions? What problems have you encountered that a kickoff meeting would have avoided?

L

Lavendeer

Our department handles our companies online magazine websites, so technically we are QA software testers.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
:bigwave:
Hi all our project manager want us to present any ways to improve testing on our department.
one of my suggestion is to have separated project kickoff between QA and Developer.
Do thinks guys its a good idea?

One of the fundamental ways to improve something is truly understand the issue.

What is "wrong" with testing? Being able to answer that will support the development of a plan with actions to "fix" the issues.

How will a separate meeting support improving testing? What's "wrong" with the current kick-off meeting? To be honest, I've never been a fan of separated kick-off meetings - a kick-off, is just that...that first meeting where everyone starts to work towards the same goal. Separate meetings after may be needed as teams specialize in their own areas, but I like kick-off meetings and close-out meetings to be with everyone.

When you separate people, they do not get a good sense of how their actions impact others...or how their actions are impacted others.

As for "improving testing", again, until you know what's truly wrong with the way it's currently done, it's difficult to fix. That said, testing should involve the users and get their acceptance of the product. A solid User Acceptance Test includes, as a minimum:

• Functionality to test
  • Responsibilities within testing
  • Documentation of testing results
  • Identification of issues coming out of testing

If there is no defined User Acceptance Test, testing will not be standardized, results may not be captured, and functionality gaps not addressed.

Top Bottom