Metrology Laboratory 'Classes' - Atmospheric, Ergonomic and Other Factors to consider

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Iam looking for a reference that will help us identify the atmospheric –Ergonomic conditions that are required to meet “ Class” of Lab.(precision mechanical measurements-Metrology/Calibration Lab)

I have worked in organizations that had huge metrology labs. There are variations in practice.

The most frequently used factors are:
Temperature: 20+/-1 deg C, Humidity:55% Max RH.

I understand there are more to this like:
Clean XXX ppm, vibration, lighting, acoustics, etc.
+ should have anti-room at the entrance.

If there are any web references, standards that point to this information please post.If you are currently following any and/or all of those factors in your lab to your specifications, please post ( if not proprietary).

Thanks,
Govind.
Note:I did a search in the forum database, Iam not sure if this topic was ever discussed.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Marc said:
'Bump'. Any takers on this one???

This is the closest, I was able to find from Google search:
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/amlbrochure.htm

This page identifies the environmental controls. Not ergonomic factors.
The environmental controls are too stringent.
I guess there should be other classification of Labs which allow wider tolerance on those control factors.

Regards,
Govind.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Govind,

Some of the various influences you mention may be site dependent. For example, vibration will have an influence at one location (e.g. California), but may not have nearly as much influence at another location.

For ergonomics, I suggest going to the ergonomics folks for that. The concept would be the same, only the application would be different.

The ppm count deals with clean room approaches. A well designed lab will often be able to achieve class 1000 without too much trouble. If you need something like a class 100 or tighter, then you may have to do some extra work.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

G

Graeme

Here are some sources

I don't have any web resources instantly at hand ...

NCSL International does have a couple of recommended practices for calibration laboratory design:
  • RP-7, Laboratory Design
  • RP-14, Guide to selecting standards laboratory environments.
Purchase information is available at their web site, www.ncslinternational.org

There is also some information in The Metrology Handbook, chapter 16. It can be purchased from ASQ Quality Press, or for a higher price from your favorite bookseller.

Govind

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks to both Hershal and Graeme.Very useful feedback.

I will go ahead to explore the references you suggested. For the lighting, I remember that there should be a minumim of 400 lux/ test station.In my previous organization, we had an Anti-room and an Air curtain to prevent dust particles entering in. Also we had a small sliding window with a counter for short term transaction of Calibrated Gauges.This helped the temperature control.

Shoe covers were used with the good intention to prevent dust from the shoes. But mostly people forgot to remove and we use to spot those people in the cafeteria. :lol:

If you have any suggestions for building a precision measurement Lab, please let us know.

Regards,
Govind.

Last edited:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Actually, I do have an idea for you. Check with the dimensional lab at NRC (Canada). The room for gage blocks and the like, under Dr. Jim Pekelski.

They recirculate only 1/6 of their air, save energy, achieve better than class 100 without bunny suits, and have change of less than 0.5 degree C per hour worst case.

Tell Jim I said hi.

Hershal

Top Bottom