How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste - Page 2

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
employee awareness, printed documents, waste management, paper documents and records, waste (general)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #9  
Old 21st August 2010, 09:23 PM
Ajit Basrur

Total Posts: 6,216
Re: How to Reduce Printed Paper Waste

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Jim Wynne View Post

I think you meant two-sided. Where I work the all of the network printers are set to two-sided printing as the default mode. It can be overridden on a per-job basis, but it saves a lot of paper.
Yeah, Chennaiite explained it. Jim, thats an "Asian" lingo

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #10  
Old 21st August 2010, 09:25 PM
Ajit Basrur

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by anandbchavan View Post

Dear All,
I want to know how to reduce the wastage of print papers.Basically we have a Design functionning company.Daily print avarage is 1500pages A4/A3 out of that 50% is wastage,So guide me how to create awreness in the employees or reduce the wastage.

Thanks
Anand
You need to go to the rrot cause to see why these are generated in the first place ? A Fishbone Diagram would be a good start
  Post Number #11  
Old 22nd August 2010, 03:41 PM
Randy

Total Posts: 8,728

Limit access to printers
  Post Number #12  
Old 25th August 2010, 06:57 AM
abcauto

Total Posts: 58

yes,
they are printed more than required.

Thanks
Anand
  Post Number #13  
Old 25th August 2010, 07:12 AM
Ajit Basrur

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by anandbchavan View Post

yes,
they are printed more than required.

Thanks
Anand
Restrict the user access to printers.
  Post Number #14  
Old 25th August 2010, 08:26 AM
tomvehoski

Total Posts: 943

I've been in organizations that try many of these ideas, and typically they all fail.

Two sided printing - great until you realize something has to be printed one-sided, but you forgot the printer defaulted to two-sided and you have to reprint.

Restricting access - great, until someone needs that print for a customer meeting and has to spend 15 minutes tracking down someone with the authority to print it. Not only a waste of time, makes your customer question your capabilities.

I do recommend looking at your processes to eliminate waste paper (and time), but telling someone they can't print an e-mail to take to a meeting to jot notes on is self defeating. The 750 pieces of paper wasted a day costs what - $5 maybe? I have been eliminating paper in my office, more for the efficiency. I had people giving me a piece of paper saying exactly what they had just e-mailed to me, and entered into a database. I told them to stop the e-mail and paper, and just tell me it was in the computer - all I need. It was more for the efficiency and lack of clutter issue though.

I've also found I proof read best on paper. Have tried doing it on the computer, but I'm more efficient with a red pen and paper. Telling me I can't do that will just kill my efficiency.

As for the green aspect, trees for paper are farmed just like corn, soybeans and other crops. It is not like they are cutting down 200 year old giant redwoods to make printer paper. Printer paper is also highly recyclable, and contains recycled paper. Going crazy trying to save 750 sheets of paper a day is going to have zero effect on the environment, but possibly a noticeable effect on your business. Eliminate the obvious waste processes, put in a recycling bin if you don't already have it, and move on to bigger things, IMO.
Thank You to tomvehoski for your informative Post and/or Attachment!
  Post Number #15  
Old 26th August 2010, 04:37 AM
samsung

Total Posts: 1,431

Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by tomvehoski View Post

As for the green aspect, trees for paper are farmed just like corn, soybeans and other crops. It is not like they are cutting down 200 year old giant redwoods to make printer paper. Printer paper is also highly recyclable, and contains recycled paper. Going crazy trying to save 750 sheets of paper a day is going to have zero effect on the environment, but possibly a noticeable effect on your business. Eliminate the obvious waste processes, put in a recycling bin if you don't already have it, and move on to bigger things, IMO.
All other points are OK and agreeable except the 'zero effect on the environment' on account of paper 'wastage'. 750 Nos a day is quite a significant quantity and must therefore be controlled to bring about positive noticeable effect on the business.

It is estimated that the life-cycle of a ton of paper, from production to recycling, results into generation of about 9 tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) - equivalent greenhouse gas emissions. Disposal in a landfill, in lieu of recycling, results in two more tons of such emissions per year. Production of paper not only generates CO2, it also reduces the amount of CO2 that can be sequestered by the plants.

So, finally the cost of saving (not wasting) 750 sheets per day would be around 3131 US$ per annum.
  Post Number #16  
Old 27th August 2010, 12:23 PM
samsung

Total Posts: 1,431

Of late I recall that its not the paper alone that matters so much. 750 sheets of paper must be consuming costly inkjet cartridges as well. GHG emissions from manufacturing a single mono toner cartridge have been calculated to approximately 4.8 Kg CO2; per cartridge. Besides it's a well known fact that the empty ink cartridges have detrimental effects of environment and human health.

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >