The Cove Business Standards Discussion Forums
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >
Forum Username

Elsmar Cove Forum Visitor Notice(s)

Wooden Line

Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Australia

Monitor the Elsmar Forum
Courtesy Quick Links

Links Elsmar Cove visitors will find useful in the quest for knowledge and support:

Jennifer Kirley's
Conway Business Services

Howard's
International Quality Services

Marcelo Antunes'
SQR Consulting, and
Medical Devices Expert Forum

Bob Doering
Bob Doering's Blogs and,
Correct SPC - Precision Machining

Ajit Basrur
Claritas Consulting, LLC

International Standards Bodies - World Wide Standards Bodies

AIAG - Automotive Industry Action Group

ASQ - American Society for Quality

International Organization for Standardization - ISO Standards and Information

NIST's Engineering Statistics Handbook

IRCA - International Register of Certified Auditors

SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers

Quality Digest

IEST - Institute of Environmental Sciences and Technology

Some Related Topic Tags
australia, exports and exporting, medical devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Content Display Modes
  Post Number #1  
Old 17th May 2004, 08:42 AM
Bridget

Total Posts: 97
Please Help! Requirements for Exporting Medical Devices to Australia

Hi,
Can anyone help me with the new regulatory system for medical devices in Australia? My company is in the US and I do not know where to start with this process.
I had also heard that New Zealand may also have regulations requiring a registration process, is this true?
Thanks,
Bridget

Sponsored Links
  Post Number #2  
Old 17th May 2004, 11:17 AM
Al Rosen

Total Posts: 3,690
Quote:
In Reply to Parent Post by Bridget

Hi,
Can anyone help me with the new regulatory system for medical devices in Australia? My company is in the US and I do not know where to start with this process.
I had also heard that New Zealand may also have regulations requiring a registration process, is this true?
Thanks,
Bridget
Bridget:

We don't export to Australia and the term new is relative so I don't know if this is up to date but it may be helpful for a start.

http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/mdequip/Australiaregs.html
  Post Number #3  
Old 17th May 2004, 06:28 PM
Greg B

Total Posts: 831
Bridget,

Al's article is probably still current yet the links to the TGA are now corrupt. Here is the new link to Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration. They deal with 'Regulating Australia's medicines, medical devices, blood, tissues and chemicals'.

They can be the mother of all Bureaucracies.

http://www.tga.gov.au/

Greg B
  Post Number #4  
Old 18th May 2004, 03:51 AM
Grant M.

Total Posts: n/a
The regulation of medical devices in Australia is done by the TGA and the system that was introduced in October 2002 is now very, very similar to the European CE Marking system - in fact they copied it.

If you are familiar with the EU system, you are a long way to understanding the Australian system.

You basically must comply with the "Essential Principles" of our regulations, which are comparable with the “Essential Requirements” of the Medical Device Directive 93/42/EEC of the EU. You must also have a Quality System (again there is a choice of what sort, just like in the EU). You must submit a “Technical File” also as in the EU.

If you have a product that has a CE Mark, then you have virtually all of the information you need.

A Notified Body such as the TUV (who have branches in the US) should be able to grant you approval to sell in Australia on presentation of the Technical File to them, and provided you have an acceptable Quality System - such as ISO 13485 or 13488 certification.

Cheers,

Grant.
  Post Number #5  
Old 18th May 2004, 06:08 AM
Dave-h

Total Posts: 58
We have been selling into Australia & New Zealand for some time now - basically using our European CE approvals.

This morning I have received a note from an Australian distributor, saying that we will now also have to ensure compliance with NZS 3551:2004 (Technical management programmes for medical devices). I am just starting to look into it...

Dave
  Post Number #6  
Old 18th May 2004, 08:28 AM
Grant M.

Total Posts: n/a
Would you like to buy some cheese?

You don't need to comply with this Standard to sell medical devices here. It's a local standard - Australia recognises the same Harmonised Standards as the EU. Here's a link specifically to the TGA Medical Devices site:

http://www.tga.gov.au/docs/html/meddevreg.htm

Cheers,

Grant.
  Post Number #7  
Old 18th May 2004, 08:44 AM
Dave-h

Total Posts: 58
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Now... what sort of cheese do you have for sale?.....

Dave
  Post Number #8  
Old 18th May 2004, 08:45 AM
Bridget

Total Posts: 97
Thanks for the links

I am glad I am not the only one who has yet to tackle this project. We only sell to one company in Australia and then they sell our name brand Class I and Class IIa medical devices(we gave them an exclusive). I have contacted them to see if they are aware of the regulations. Let's keep sharing info on this thread to keep us all updated on our issues.
Thanks,
Bridget

Lower Navigation Bar
Go Back   The Elsmar Cove Business Systems and Standards Discussion Forums > >