1. Prepare a statement outlining the nature, scope and objectives of the assignment.
2. Circulate this written statement to the key people in your organization inviting them to comment by a specific date in terms of whether it defines the need accurately and whether the assignment should be tackled internally or external help sought.
3. Define the expertise you will need.
4. Invite the consultant for an interview.
5. Brief the staff who will be involved in the selection process.
6. Avoid organization jargon.
7. Ask the consultant to describe how the assignment will be approached.
8. Request references, in confidence, to provide real examples of previous assignments carried out and check with the referees how successfully the assignment was carried out. Do not buy on price alone.
9. Express the assignment you wish carried out in terms of the end results, i.e. outputs, that you want to achieve.
10. IF YOU PROCEEDů Provide resources and executive commitment. There is no point in seeking consultancy help unless you have the will, the resources and the organization resolve to follow the advice you get.