10 Critical Quality Assurance Traps

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Lest folks think Ronny is missing a few screws, it is worthwhile to note his original post had a link to his blog (which can be found in Ronny's Profile by clicking on his name at the top of his post.)

For future reference, the nature of a Forum is to keep the topic comments and responses in the Forum versus sending folks all over the cyber universe.

Courtesy would demand that if you want a link to your own web site in someone else's web site, you should at least provide a courtesy return link. I didn't see one in Ronny's blob page to link back here to the Cove.

The topic Ronny proposes (10 Critical Quality Assurance Traps) is an interesting one. It is also worthwhile to note it is targeted primarily at software quality assurance in his blog.

Here are Ronny's 10:
Unclear ownership of product quality.
2. No overall test program design or goals.
3. Non-existent or ill-defined test plans and cases.
4. Testing that focuses narrowly on functional cases.
5. No ad hoc, stress or boundary testing.
6. Use of inconsistent or incorrect testing methodology.
7. Relying on inexperienced testers.
8. Improper use of tools and automation, resulting in lost time and reduced ROI.
9. No meaningful metrics for tracking bugs and driving quality back into development.
10. Incomplete regression cycle before software release.
Welcome to the Cove, Ronny! bigwave-d2.gif

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
#3.

My trap (dropped in it twice) was not having any available inspection/test procedures at all. I was instead given a long (perhaps an hour) verbal description and a walk-through of the process. Then, the question: "Do you have any questions?"

Invariably I would be glassy-eyed and have perhaps two or three questions, but the trainer assured me I could always go back and ask as the situation arose.

But what if that person wasn't there? There were plenty of knowledgeable people to help me, I was assured. And it was true. But to add to the problem, instructions varied among these individuals. So I would end up comparing them and going back to the highest ranking provider, to see which instruction was closest to the mark.

Over time I identified the tasks, their necessary equipment and forms, and what to do if things didn't go well. Before I left the companies I used this knowledge to write work instructions for the inspectors following me. It seemed the least I could do.

Top Bottom