Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

12 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade - 2000 - 2010

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Article starts with "Calling"?? That's not anywhere near obsolete. Wonder if the author carries a PDA instead of a smartphone... (pda! there's another obsolete gadget!)

Conversely, mentioning "Newspaper classifieds" but not "Newspapers" is also funny. If the second are not entirely obsolete yet, they will be before 2020. But Huffington is a home for ex-newspaper-folks; who can blame them for denial?

And, of course, the encyclopedia was not made obsolete. What became obsolete is the traditional method of writing, compiling and, especially, printing one. A wiki displaced it. As more organizations become familiar with wikis, the traditional method of writing and publishing documentation will go the way of the typewriter.

Notice the common denominator for the above last two (as well as the article's snail mail, catalogs, film, yellow pages, address books, and even fax machines): paper as distribution medium. That's what's obsolete.

J

JaneB

paper as distribution medium. That's what's obsolete.
Exactly.

And 'calling' = obsolete? Nup. I cannot even imagine trying to do an extended discussion/catch-up/negotiation via SMS/Twitter or the like. Damn silly idea. My vote is Twitter to become obsolete as soon as people realise that every little fleeting thought that crosses someone's brain is not particularly fascinating, nor worthy of being shared.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Article starts with "Calling"?? That's not anywhere near obsolete. Wonder if the author carries a PDA instead of a smartphone... (pda! there's another obsolete gadget!)

Conversely, mentioning "Newspaper classifieds" but not "Newspapers" is also funny. If the second are not entirely obsolete yet, they will be before 2020. But Huffington is a home for ex-newspaper-folks; who can blame them for denial?

And, of course, the encyclopedia was not made obsolete. What became obsolete is the traditional method of writing, compiling and, especially, printing one. A wiki displaced it. As more organizations become familiar with wikis, the traditional method of writing and publishing documentation will go the way of the typewriter.

Notice the common denominator for the above last two (as well as the article's snail mail, catalogs, film, yellow pages, address books, and even fax machines): paper as distribution medium. That's what's obsolete.
I use my cell phone for actually making and receiving voice calls; I have a landline phone, as do most people; I use a phone book (especially the Yellow Pages) on a regular basis; most businesses still have fax machines (although use is certainly on the wane); I read a newspaper just about every day. None of the things mentioned in the Huffpo piece are obsolete, nor is paper as a distribution medium--not even close.

As far as printed encyclopedias are concerned, they're about as close to obsolescence as anything on the list, but they're not being replaced by Wikipedia specifically; they're being replaced by the web in general.

J

JaneB

I use my cell phone for actually making and receiving voice calls; I have a landline phone, as do most people; I use a phone book (especially the Yellow Pages) on a regular basis; most businesses still have fax machines (although use is certainly on the wane); I read a newspaper just about every day.
Me too.

And one of the reasons I read a paper newspaper everyday (for example) is because it's much nicer than using the web for it. I don't want to have my breakfast coffee and read the paper on a screen - mine's got very good resolution, but it still doesn't even approach the usability, feel and portability of a paper, which I can sit with, do the crossword in, and all while looking out over the back garden in full summer glory and from a comfy arm chair.

And phone books are much better in hard copy when you want to flip back & forth, or graze through 'em, for example. Too often online it's like peering through a keyhole.

Obsolete, shmobsolete. Not here, thanks.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Most likely my "personal on-line discussion" personalities.....

Hey, I did not ever claim to be perfect.....

But maybe a worthy sacrifice to the Gods.....

G

Groo3

Sadly, old guys like me still have most of those things AND use them!
Except for that clunky 2.5 pound portable phone I hope... They may still be useful as a paper weight or maybe as a piece of exercise equipment? or maybe they were all recycled into those Wii controllers?

What about pagers? I thought they were obsolete till I found out we still have people at my facility still using them out in the plant...

Top Bottom