Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

15 June 2007 (25 June Reprise) :( --- Too Many MySQL Connections

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Re: 15 June 2007 - Server overload

It's not a matter of increasing ram. 2 gigs should be plenty and has worked well for several years now. Putting in more ram would raise the threshold, but connections would *probably* increase to the 'new' threshold and the server would slow down at the higher connection limit.

The issue is limiting connections. A DoS is easy to identify and neutralize. A DDoS is more difficult because it's different multiple servers.

At this time I cannot rule out a server issue, either. Even though the server has, for the most part, been running well, something like this is difficult to diagnose. For now I've turned off allowing persistent connections and it *seems* to have helped.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

I'm trying to get a FreeBSD expert to reconfig the server - It went down again this morning about 8 am. My apologies for the inconvenience... :(

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

It's not easy finding a FreeBSD expert for under US$175 an hour. It's so weird that this is happening once every week or two. The sever has run so good and was so stable for several years. I just can't figure it out.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Marc - just kinda wierd - I looked at who's online - and a lot of activity by the Yahoo Spider - running searches on users.

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I estimate it is performing over 200 searches right now - and over 700 users are on the site right now.

C

Craig H.

I estimate it is performing over 200 searches right now - and over 700 users are on the site right now.
Something I don't recall seeing - the Who's Online view, for a spider, lists a thread and, instead of viewing it says "see who posted".

How can we see who posted in a particular thread? I don't recall having this tool.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
25 June Redux

Something I don't recall seeing - the Who's Online view, for a spider, lists a thread and, instead of viewing it says "see who posted".

How can we see who posted in a particular thread? I don't recall having this tool.
You're seeing this in the 'Location' column?

Top Bottom