2 Quality Manuals after merging with another company

Maximics

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I have a question and I would really appreciate your input since I have searched for similar threads and did not find an exact answer, but slightly similar – see thread 50963 (the system does not allow me to post links :bonk:)

Well, first, the context:
- - Till two years ago we’ve been a small company with Headquarter in US and several offices around the world,
- - We have had since company inception - 20 years ago - a certain quality culture, which evolved to the adoption of ISO 9001 eight years ago,
- - This year we have been recertified ISO 9001:2008 with a world renown CB for a new cycle of 3 years,
- - Two years ago we have been acquired by a company with HQ and most of offices in other part of the world,
- - They too have adopted ISO 9001:9008 and have an ISO history of about 15 years,
- - They are certified with another world wide CB player,
- - Now , the corporate management wants to have a common QMS and are willing to change existing QMS to fit both systems, but want to keep their original Quality Manual and System Procedures with minimal changes.
- - Need to mention that our market and clients are different than corporate ones, the business mechanism is different, QMS’s are different, procedures are different, etc., etc.
- - Our QMS is a home grown, semi automatic, HTML based system and they have a manual system, Excel based.

Although we agreed to merge the systems, when it comes to details it is quite difficult to reconcile both of them.
Our merging philosophy was “Plug and Play”, meaning we would keep our system as it is (with minor changes) and add a statement in both Quality Manuals that our QMS will comply with corporate QMS, but customized (tailored) for our needs.
I’m afraid that this is not realistic and want to hear from you some thoughts.

Please advise if it is possible to have:
- - 2 Quality Manuals, a corporate one and a local one,
- - Different system procedures or at least different procedures for Control of Documents and Records (CDR).

If above are not advisable/possible, as a second thought, we think to add a statement in the corporate Quality Manual and corporate CDR that for our business are some customized forms and procedures. Therefore we will keep our QMS almost intact, the QMS lifecycle will follow the same flow, but with additional review and approval steps.

Please let me know what you think.

:thanx:

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Re: 2 Quality Manuals after merging

- - 2 Quality Manuals, a corporate one and a local one,

As far as I am aware, yes. You can have two quality manuals so long as QM1 does not conflict with QM2 (have opposing statements).

- - Different system procedures or at least different procedures for Control of Documents and Records (CDR).

This one is a bit more difficult depending on how the QM's are written. Our QM specifically references procedure when we have a procedure. Same as our procedures reference a form or document when one exists. I believe this is/was an older way of doing things within ISO (AS9100 for us) but I kept it as I did not want to completely re-write the manual and procedures.

One thing you can look at is having a certification based on a corporate level. I don't know much about this other than a very short conversation I had with our auditor as to why he wanted to change a scope for our next surveillance audit (he could not do it then but could propose the change for the next audit). You can do a Campus facility, satellite facility, or some other type. I don't know much about this other than the names so hopefully someone else can expand on these types of facilities.

L

lk2012

hi,
I agree with the previous poster on the point that you can have 2 Quality Manuals.
You could perhaps have a 'top level' or a 'corporate' one (that's from your HQ) and then your 'local' one.
Both must show clear links to each other (even if it's in the form of a flowchart / graph / list of responsibilities etc) and may not conflict each other.

I love the way your HQ are having it their way:
- - Now , the corporate management wants to have a common QMS and are willing to change existing QMS to fit both systems, but want to keep their original Quality Manual and System Procedures with minimal changes.
:lol:

I suggest having a very good detailed discussion with your colleagues in the HQ and work out the best way for all involved parties.
Lil

Maximics

Starting to get Involved

Thanks guys,

Much appreciated.
We already started to brainstorm about 2 QM's system.

About HQ - well, in that part of the world, negociating everything and countless times is the norm, as in mine - a word/a shakehand is a firm contract, no if's, no but's.
I guess I have to learn/understand their way and adapt...

Thanks again.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Max,

I'm sure that you and your colleagues realize that merging the two systems is much more difficult than deciding on the best way to document the management systems for effective planning, operation, control and monitoring of your combined organization's processes.

It may be a good idea to agree the process by which the these changes are managed (planned, agreed, approved, implemented, validated and documented).

This process needs excellent, respectful (listening) leadership for success.

Good luck,

John

C

Cheryl K

Wow that is a huge task.
My suggestions would be one Quality Manual written at the Corporate Level with process maps or turtle diagrams at the plant/facility level.

Good Luck

Top Bottom