SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

2 Year Part Re-Validation and FAIR Costs (Aerospace Parts)

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
Hello all.

So great to have you back. I'm still in shock. You truly don't know what you've got until it's gone!

I have a question. We supply plastic parts to a number of aerospace companies. There seems to be some confusion over who is to pay for a full FAIR, should a part not be ordered within the 2 year manufacturing cycle.

Can we put the costs for re-validation back to the customer? Is it simply dependent on contractual obligations? Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?

Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Can we put the costs for re-validation back to the customer?
Yes - if you've negotiated for it, you can get them to pay for it. If not, no.

Is it simply dependent on contractual obligations?
Yes.

Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?
AS9100 (Rev C and D) requires a new first article only "when changes occur that invalidate the original results." It does not require a 2-year revalidation. If your customer requires it, then you need to negotiate with them who will pay for it.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?
I believe the requirement in AS9102 reads something like
A lapse in production for two years shall require an update for any characteristics that may be impacted by the inactivity. This lapse is from the completion of last production operation to the actual restart of production.

B

BoardGuy

The requirement for the AS9102 FAIR is contractual (PO) and once it has been fulfilled this requirement has been met. If the customer orders more parts after the laps of two years and does not specify the need for an AS9102 FAIR then there is no requirement or obligation to perform said FAIR under the terms of the new contract (PO).

Now having said that if the customer says they need a AS9102 FAIR post delivery you need to request a contract modification stating the need for the AS9102 so that you can review and accept or reject the modification. If you accept it, then you charge them accordingly. If you reject it then the original contract stands.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R How to improve a Validation program and procedures to FDA (21 CFR part 820) & ISO13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Z SAP Validation for Part 11 Compliance - Examples (executed protocols) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
C Validation of Applications in a Cloud, CFR 21 part 11 (Environmental Monitoring) Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
I As a part of validation, should i include the acceptance criteria of CPk index >1.33? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T "Special Process" Validation Requirements (21 CFR Part 820) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
A Finishing Design Validation per 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B Validation Method Requirements - 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
A Software Validation for Class I - Manufacture of a Part for a Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R CNC OTS Software Validation Separate from full IQ/OQ/PQ for 21CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
S CMM Software Validation - On every part we make? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
F Is self-serve password reset for Windows considered for validation under CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S Code review as part of software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA part 820 Software Validation - Can software be retrospectively validated? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
T 21 CFR Part 11, "enforcement discretion" - Validation, Audit Trail, Record Retention Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
K 10 parts, 4 operators, 3 replications and each part has 3 location to measure. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19
Q Can I use Cpk to compare if one part is usable in another part? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5
B Combat Low Part to Part Variation in GRR Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
C Quality Manager as part of Management - 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Physical Part Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Clean room not part of my certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A MDR ANNEX XI part A or Part B EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Part submission warrant for Level 1 PPAP APQP and PPAP 1
K How to handle GTINs for different configurations of one device with one part number? Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
A 60601-1 : Integrated Dry ECG Electrodes = 2 Patient connections inside 1 applied part? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
0 To which part of 13485 does this refer? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Separation of F-type applied part and remaining parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
V Part selection for R&R studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
S ISO 9001:2015 vs 21 CFR Part 211 matrix Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D CFR Title 14: Aeronautics and Space PART 120—DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAM Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
D Is PMCF really a continuous activity per Annex XIV,Part B? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M 21 CFR 820 vs 21CFR820 vs 21 CFR Part 820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
N BF-type applied part MOPP vs secondary IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Relabelling a component that will be sold as a spare part - Do I become legal manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Single Fault Condition IEC 60601 Clause 8.7.1 shorting Cr/Cl in Patient Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
D Partial FAI - AS9102 - One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M 2xMOPP insulation for Applied Part B. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4