2 Year Part Re-Validation and FAIR Costs (Aerospace Parts)

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
Hello all.

So great to have you back. I'm still in shock. You truly don't know what you've got until it's gone!

I have a question. We supply plastic parts to a number of aerospace companies. There seems to be some confusion over who is to pay for a full FAIR, should a part not be ordered within the 2 year manufacturing cycle.

Can we put the costs for re-validation back to the customer? Is it simply dependent on contractual obligations? Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?

Thank you in advance.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Can we put the costs for re-validation back to the customer?
Yes - if you've negotiated for it, you can get them to pay for it. If not, no.

Is it simply dependent on contractual obligations?
Yes.

Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?
AS9100 (Rev C and D) requires a new first article only "when changes occur that invalidate the original results." It does not require a 2-year revalidation. If your customer requires it, then you need to negotiate with them who will pay for it.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Or is it a requirement of the AS standard that the manufacturing company should be re-validating regardless?
I believe the requirement in AS9102 reads something like
A lapse in production for two years shall require an update for any characteristics that may be impacted by the inactivity. This lapse is from the completion of last production operation to the actual restart of production.

B

BoardGuy

The requirement for the AS9102 FAIR is contractual (PO) and once it has been fulfilled this requirement has been met. If the customer orders more parts after the laps of two years and does not specify the need for an AS9102 FAIR then there is no requirement or obligation to perform said FAIR under the terms of the new contract (PO).

Now having said that if the customer says they need a AS9102 FAIR post delivery you need to request a contract modification stating the need for the AS9102 so that you can review and accept or reject the modification. If you accept it, then you charge them accordingly. If you reject it then the original contract stands.

Top Bottom