21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Certification

C

Copacetic

21 CFR Part 11.100(c) states:

Persons using electronic signatures shall, prior to or at the time of such use, certify to the agency that the electronic signatures in their system, used on or after August 20, 1997, are intended to be the legally binding equivalent of traditional handwritten signatures.

I am hearing that this is not generally adhered to by medical device manufacturers and is not enforced by the FDA. I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

Gert Sorensen

Persons using electronic signatures shall, prior to or at the time of such use, certify to the agency that the electronic signatures in their system, used on or after August 20, 1997, are intended to be the legally binding equivalent of traditional handwritten signatures.

I am hearing that this is not generally adhered to by medical device manufacturers and is not enforced by the FDA. I would love to hear thoughts on this.
I have no doubts that you can find lots of manufacturers who does not adhere this part of 21 CFR Part 11. One does get the impression that most manufacturers implementing an electronic signature does not read Part 11 prior to implementing it, and sadly, neither does the companies supplying the signature solution.

The issue is of course, that Part 11 is rarely in the scope of an FDA inspection (they call it enforcement discretion), and since Part 11 is not in the scope companies tend to overlook things like this.

I do not recommend that one skips lightly over this; a worst case interpretation by an inspector could mean that you were non-compliant on all the electronic signatures used in a system.

Y

yeshpal

As per my understanding, If the established system is said to be 21 CFR part 11 compliant then there should be sufficient objective evidence apart from agency notification (prior to or at the time certify FDA) but definitely certify to agency that the signatures with appropriate delegation/scope are legally binding any time (or atleast already established timelines).

Thanks & Regards,
Yeshpal Mathangi :agree1:

A

ariannas

I'm curious -- has anyone who has sent the certification to the FDA received a reply from the FDA?

U

UncleCrazyHorse

Bumping an old thread.

ariannas,
For the benefit of the unfamiliar, could you expand on the dialogue with the FDA?
  1. What did you send to them? (overview)
  2. What was the lag between your submittal and the reply?
  3. What did they include in their reply? (Summary)

Thanks in advance.
Other responses from those with similar experience is encouraged as well.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
...but I never got a reply.
Don't hold your breath. From the link you posted:
"...organizations need not await FDA?s response before putting electronic signature systems into effect..."

Obviously the response, if any is coming, is very low priority.

BTW: thanks for the posted link. This is an interesting read. Recommended for anyone who (like me) still need some clarifications on 21 CFR Part 11. :read:

In particular, I was always curious why they included the requirement for the certification. Afterall, it's just a sentence, only needs to be signed by one person, and doesn't need to detail any information about the system itself. ...from the link, I see now that it is purely for legal purposes:

"...FDA believes it is vital to have such certificates, as a matter of record, in advance of any possible litigation."

I have to wonder though, if a certification is sent, does this make it more likely that 21 CFR Part 11 compliance might be included in the scope of future FDA inspections? :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I GMP 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Records Compliance Project Help Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
D 21 CFR Part 11 - Electronic Signature Management SOP Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
K 21 CFR Part 11 Biometrics for electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Electronic Logbook Software - 21 CFR part 211 environment (CFR 211.182) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
S 21 CFR Part 820.198 - Complaint Files & Electronic Signature 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V 21 CFR Part 11 Electronic Data Storage Requirements vs. Paper Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R 21 CFR Part 11: Electronic Signatures Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
A 21 CFR part 11 compliant Electronic Document Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
D Affordable electronic CAPA system (compliant to FDA 21 CFR Part 11) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J 21 CFR Part 11 - Securing Electronic signatures using Adobe Acrobat Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Marc Electronic Records and Signatures - 21 CFR Part 11 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
P Controls over Systems Documentation in 21 CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K 13485 do e-signatures have to be 21 CFR Part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
D 21 CFR Part 11 Assessment (Fully Compliant or Not) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
Anonymous16-2 Sinks and Sanitation - 21 CFR Part 111 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S 21 CFR part 11 version differences Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S ISO 9001:2015 vs 21 CFR Part 211 matrix Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
D CFR Title 14: Aeronautics and Space PART 120—DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING PROGRAM Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
M 21 CFR 820 vs 21CFR820 vs 21 CFR Part 820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
L Wearables 21 CFR Part 11 compliance Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C 21 CFR Part 11- What about handwritten signatures? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ed Panek Do Cloud services require 21 CFR Part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
QIE FDA 21 CFR Part 11 "Meaning of Signature" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Business Intelligence and 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R How to improve a Validation program and procedures to FDA (21 CFR part 820) & ISO13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
R 21 CFR Part 820 Contract Manufacturer of Medical Device Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Is Adobe Sign - E-signature for QMS documents - 21 cfr part 11 compliant? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Signature manifestations - 21 CFR Part 11 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D Use of password managers on validated computer systems (21 CFR Part 11) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
Q 21 CFR Part 111 - Requirements for Dietary Supplement Manufacturing Water Quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N Change Control - Compliance with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D 21 CFR Part 820 (Subpart A) - Question about "Authority" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Alternative to keeping hard copy records that is 21 CFR part 11 compliant Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
I 510(k) Raw Data from Studies - 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
V Use of e-records and e-Signatures in Clinical Investigations Under 21 CFR part 11 Q&A Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R 21 CFR Part 820.186 - Types of Quality System Records Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Does the Scope of 21 CFR Part 820.72 (Equipment) apply to Design? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C Validation of Applications in a Cloud, CFR 21 part 11 (Environmental Monitoring) Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C 21 CFR Part 820.184 - Label Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L MDR (Medical Device Reporting) under 21 CFR Part 803 Other US Medical Device Regulations 5