23 - 27 January 2013 - Brief server downtime

Re: 11:15 PM - 23 January 2013 - Brief server downtime

Keith is doing some work on the server so there are some brief connection interruptions. They shouldn't last long.
Well, whatever he did seems worth the effort: All of a sudden I perceive the Cove as decidedly faster. :agree1:

/Claes

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

What he did was a temporary measure which I requested and which I'm monitoring the effects of. The key to this is for him to get the server moved and he has been very busy (not a good sign - long story). Considering all I hope this project doesn't turn out to be another big problem. I'd explain everything going on here right now, but it would be a long typing session.

I will definitely keep everyone informed here as to progress (or the lack there of).

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Thanks for all the effort and expense you're going through, Marc. I hope against hope this is JUST a glitch by your present host, NOT some nefarious DNS attacks.

Marc

Leader

It doesn't have anything to do with the host. There are some long standing problems with the server setup its self which have to be resolved. Some of them go back to the DEC 2011 migration. What was done last night was just something to see if it would stop the server load spikes which is what brought on the gateway errors. The plan is to move to a clean server after a full evaluation of various error logs, config files and such. We will probably put Fail2Ban on it, but that's another story.

I'll keep you all informed. Right now it's a waiting game for me waiting for Keith to get focused on the migration.

Marc

Leader

Thanks for all the effort and expense you're going through, Marc. I hope against hope this is JUST a glitch by your present host, NOT some nefarious DNS attacks.
Wes - I appreciate your post.

No - It's not a DoS or DDoS attack. It's that I relied upon AdminGeeks to manage the server since 2007. They did the 2007 migration OK. They totally screwed up the DEC 2011 migration.

Keith took off nginx as I requested. Keith did not bring it up - It was me looking at the server and the history and trying to figure out the problem.

I also did some MySQL "tuning" and as of the last few days the Load Average problem has disappeared. :cfingers:

It will be a couple of weeks but we should have the new server set up correctly, migrated and it should be faster.

I do take pride in Elsmar and this stuff is important to me.

Update: The server migration will happen soon but it should be invisible. I have gone back to my pre-2007 days when I managed the server myself. I have been evaluating error logs and finding all sorts of stuff AdminGeeks screwed up. I have been doing a lot (such as the MySQL tuning) that AdminGeeks totally ignored. I am ensuring that when Keith does the setup and then the migration it will be done correctly.

I definitely do not expect the traffic from the pre-Walmartization that Google Search has embraced (kicking the "little guys" out of search), but I do take pride in it motivating me to step back, stop relying on a company like AdminGeeks to do more than the minimum (not to mention giving me bad advice) and trying to bring Elsmar back into a properly configured and optimized state.

Unless things *really* go to heck, Elsmar will be around for a while longer.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Wes - I appreciate your post.

<SNIP>

I definitely do not expect the traffic from the pre-Walmartization that Google Search has embraced (kicking the "little guys" out of search), but I do take pride in it motivating me to step back, stop relying on a company like AdminGeeks to do more than the minimum (not to mention giving me bad advice) and trying to bring Elsmar back into a properly configured and optimized state.

Unless things *really* go to heck, Elsmar will be around for a while longer.
Good to know!

Top Bottom