2nd Party and Internal Auditor Qualifications & Training

Casana

Blueberry Nut
I’m trying to confirm that the internal auditor qualification requirements haven’t changed between TS 16949 and IATF 16949. From what I can see on the IATF document it appears so, I only see a reference to ISO 19011

As for personnel performing 2nd party audits, I see no requirement in IATF 16949 other than following ISO 19011.

Am I missing something? Do 2nd party auditors have to be trained on core tools? How about internal auditors? (as long as the customers don’t require it of course).

Also - trying to confirm if I could do the training for the internal auditors & 2nd party auditors as long as I follow ISO 19011. I have my ASQ Auditor cert, plus I took the Lead Auditor TS16949 class (and passed) many moons ago. And I've managed all our internal audits for years. I'll confess I'm trying to avoid having to use our external training consultant because the one we've been using is a horrible trainer, however I have no say on who we pick and he does provide a very pretty certificate.

Thx for any comments!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
From the AIAG Guide on Transitioning to IATF16949:

"IATF 16949 adds additional requirements for both first and second-party auditors, which include:
•Organizations shall have a documented process to verify internal auditor competency.
•When training internal auditors, documented information shall be retained to demonstrate trainer’s competency with the additional requirements.
•Organizations shall demonstrate the competency of second-party auditors, and second-party auditors shall meet customer-specific requirements for auditor qualification.
This standard also outlines the minimum competencies for auditors, which include:
•Automotive process approach for auditing, including risk- based thinking
•Applicable core tools requirements
•Applicable customer-specific requirements
•Software development assessment methodologies, if applicable
These changes may require a competence gap analysis followed by additional auditor training and development activities."

Peters

Quite Involved in Discussions
IATF 16949 requirements
7.2.3 Internal auditor competency
Quality management system auditors, manufacturing process auditors, and product auditors shall all be able to demonstrate the following minimum competencies:
a) understanding of the automotive process approach for auditing, including risk-based thinking;
b) understanding of applicable customer-specific requirements;
c) understanding of applicable ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 requirements related to the scope of the audit;
d) understanding of applicable core tool requirements related to the scope of the audit;
e) understanding how to plan, conduct, report, and close out audit findings.

7.2.4 Second-party auditor competency
The organization shall demonstrate the competence of the auditors undertaking the second-party audits. Second-party auditors shall meet customer specific requirements for auditor qualification and demonstrate the minimum following core competencies, including understanding of:
a) the automotive process approach to auditing, including risk based thinking;
b) applicable customer and organization specific requirements;
c) applicable ISO 9001 and IATF 16949 requirements related to the scope of the audit;
d) applicable manufacturing process(es) to be audited, including PFMEA and control plan;
e) applicable core tool requirements related to the scope of the audit;
f) how to plan, conduct, prepare audit reports, and close out audit findings.

So:
1.ISO 9001 knowledge - YES
2.IATF 16949 knowledge - YES
3.Process approach knowledge - YES
4.Risk based approach knowledge - YES
5.CSR knowledge - YES
6.Core tools knowledge - YES
7.Audit knowledge - YES

So it is impossible to say: "internal auditor qualification requirements haven’t changed between TS 16949 and IATF 16949", because many requirements above are new.

Use of the external trainer / consultant is not required if you have other options to achieve and demonstrate auditor competence.

hjoul

Registered
Additional question related to trainer competency...

Clause 7.2.3 requires that the trainer's competency needs to be demonstrated.

How do you demonstrate the competency?
What makes a trainer qualified to train in IATF 16949?
And the trainer also needs to acquire competency and their trainers aswell ....

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Again, This is what a good internal audit program should consist of also you need to take into account Customer specific requirements as well. Read your CSRs carefully.

Best wishes,
Al40

D

dan_negrea

Hi, and sorry for the intrusion, but does anybody know any companies that could provide training for core tools in the Toronto GTA area?

Thank you!

S

Sherry Gill

What we did for IATF16949 audit team, with a short timeline:
1. Certified TS16949 lead auditor conducted self-directed training to IATF16949 (with reliance on Elsmar and other sources for clarification).
2. Lead auditor created a series of tests with answer keys and team exercises based on requirements of consecutive clauses/clause groups from IATF16949 and ISO9001:2015.
3. Lead auditor conducted five two-hour training classes to IATF16949 for all auditors previously trained to TS16949, using IATF16949 as the training outline, with review and discussion during each class.
4. Tests were administered weeks 2-5 based on previous week's material, with all results scanned, attached to a training record, and averaged to achieve a final rating (reasons for incorrect answers were explained and the clause references provided).
5. Trainees with a cumulative score of 80% or above retained their internal auditor designation, now to IATF16949, per pre-defined criteria. All trainees achieved a score of 90 or above.
6. Although not certified to IATF16949, I am the only on-site certified lead auditor. I currently hold TS16949/ISO9001 lead auditor certification, and previously held AS9100 lead auditor certifications. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be sufficient for our CB auditors.

In any case, I am retiring in a few weeks:D, which created the initial time crunch.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
So has anyone determined whether or not 2nd party auditors need to be IATF certified to audit IATF suppliers?
2nd Party Auditors from the organization going out to audit external providers (suppliers) must be competent. The competence requirements are in IATF 16949:2016.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Sidney Vianna Can CB's (certification bodies) conduct internal and 2nd party audits? Registrars and Notified Bodies 12
GStough Looking to Apply for IRCA Certification Using 2nd Party Audits Career and Occupation Discussions 2
P Definition AS9100 Quality Policy and 2nd party audits Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
H What information do I need to collect when conducting 2nd party audit? General Auditing Discussions 6
V 18001 2nd stage 3rd party Top Management Questions (Training Assignment) General Auditing Discussions 8
C 2nd Party Integrated Audits - PAS99 General Auditing Discussions 9
E TS 16949 3rd-Party Auditor Certification - 2nd Sponsor CB IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I 2nd-Party Auditing Day Calculations Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
CarolX Definition 1st, 2nd and 3rd Party Audits - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 29
E What documentation must I provide during a 2nd party audit? General Auditing Discussions 10
M Does anyone know how to become a 2nd party auditor? General Auditing Discussions 0
Leaf Fan When do 3rd Party audits turn to 2nd party audits? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Question on creepage/clearance requirements for HF Active Accessories for 2nd edition 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
M Quality Manual for 2nd site Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
V 2MOP of mains voltage is required between 2nd Circuity and Accessible parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
Douglas E. Purdy ISO/IEC 17025:2017 3rd Ed. Changes from 2nd Ed. ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Using IEC 60601-1 2nd Edition for "Evaluations" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E IEC 60601-2-25 Reference to 60601-1 2nd Edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
L CQI-12 2nd Edition - Table D, question 2.1 - Powder Coat Painting IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Need for IEC60601-1 2nd edition certification? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Stijloor AIAG Layered Process Audit 2nd Ed. (CQI-8) is now available. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
W The 2nd printing of the AWS D17.1 2010 which was 2011 - Page missing? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A Publication Dates of MSA Manuals (1st & 2nd Ed.) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Infusion Pump and IEC 60601 2nd edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
SteveK Experience of IEC OD-2004 2nd Ed., 60601-1 and Risk Management Files? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
C Any news about IEC 62304 2nd edition IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
V Failure Modes of 1-step being taken as cause in 2nd (subsequent/downstream) step FMEA and Control Plans 4
Atul Khandekar Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
P IEC 61010 3rd Edition - When devices are listed to the 2nd edition CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
N IEC 60601-1 3rd ed vs. IEC 60601-1 2nd ed Gap Analysis IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
N 1st Shift vs. 2nd Shift Production Crews - How to end this war? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
T IEC 60601-2-27 - Comparison of 2nd to 3rd edition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
I Acceptability of Existing Devices complying to IEC 60601-1 2nd Edition after Jun'2012 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
B IEC 60601-1 2nd Clause 17 and 3rd edition - Electrical Isolation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
optomist1 Functional Datums - Advanced Concepts of GD&T 2nd edition by Alex K Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
A Questions that auditor may ask during the certification or 2nd stage audit. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
L When IEC 60601-1 2nd edition can not be used for CE mark medical device application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Y APQP (2nd version) Training Material Sharing APQP and PPAP 1
G APQP 1st edition VS APQP 2nd edition - what are the main changes APQP and PPAP 2
N New Control Plan Form and Format in the APQP 2nd Edition FMEA and Control Plans 2
M IEC 60601-1-3 2nd Edition (X-ray Radiation Protection) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
S APQP 2nd Edition Changes APQP and PPAP 35
T SPC Manual 2nd edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
U AIAG's FMEA Manual 4th Edition Released - 2nd July 2008 FMEA and Control Plans 77
D Motorcycle Question - Purchasing the 2nd motorcycle of my life Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Stijloor 2nd Checked bag? That will cost you. Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
S Auditor requires us to have a copy of 2nd Edition Certification Rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
M 2nd language - How to conform? (Documentation) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10