3% of the scheduled preventive maintenance (PMs) cancelled - You make the call!

N

Norman V

You make the call! (pretend you are an ISO auditor)

During an audit, it is observed that about 3% of the scheduled PM's (preventive maintenance procedures) were cancelled. The maintenance manager states that he needs a certain amount of overtime each month to meet the schedule, but OT has been cut the last few months, accounting for the cancelled PM's.

A nonconformance on the audit is generated, and as part of the corrective action, the maintenance manager rewrites his procedures to allow for cancelled PM's in the event of a lack of resources. Before submitting this as his final corrective action, he calls YOU for guidance on what would be considered an "acceptable" level of cancelled PM's due to resource issues.

What is your call?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
See 5.1 e) as far as resources. What does your PM say? Some companies PM is the monthly cleaning of the machine. Do you go by manufacturies guidelines? What kind of data do you have to extend the timeline between scheduled PM?

C

Craig H.

Norman V said:

During an audit, it is observed that about 3% of the scheduled PM's (preventive maintenance procedures) were cancelled. The maintenance manager states that he needs a certain amount of overtime each month to meet the schedule, but OT has been cut the last few months, accounting for the cancelled PM's.

A nonconformance on the audit is generated, and as part of the corrective action, the maintenance manager rewrites his procedures to allow for cancelled PM's in the event of a lack of resources. Before submitting this as his final corrective action, he calls YOU for guidance on what would be considered an "acceptable" level of cancelled PM's due to resource issues.

What is your call?
Norman:

It would seem to me that PM is usually considered a part of the Quality Management System in that the absence of PREVENTION, can usually result in adverse effects on quality (i.e. missed shipping deadlines, if nothing else). Therefore, ISO 9001:2000, section 6.1 a (...implement and maintain) would apply. As far as "exceptions" go, are the PM activities important, or aren't they? If they are important enough to be scheduled, then they are important enough to do, no?

Just my opinion. Good question, and I am very interested to see how the more experienced among us interpret this.

Craig

Sorry, gpainter, we must have posting at the same time. If I remember correctly, you, too, have more audit experience than I.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bob_M

Well ISO aside for a moment,
We do montly PM checks on all our production machines.
This is to make sure they are in good working order AND to comply with OSHA requirements. If we miss a PM, our procedure is to LOCK-OUT the machine until the PM is completed.
Our PM's are more for saftey than quality.

Depending on WHY you are doing PMs, and HOW the schedule is determined, you have to ask CAN you delay PMs? As far as re-writting a procedure go ahead if it's in the best interest of the company, and missed PMs is not a saftey or quality problem...

T

Trolle

Norman V said:
What is your call?
One would asume that a good track record, Delivery times kept and quality targets acomplished would permit some leeway altering the QMS so that it fits into the big business picture. If when analyzed one would find it not so, then it would be an issue!

Cheeers.

A

Aaron Lupo

Norman V said:

What is your call?
Cancelled PM's due to resource issue would not fly with me. As was stated previously is the PM based on the manufacturers guidelines?

Do you have supporting information that would allow you to extend the time between PM?

Would it be possible for the operators of the machine to perform some of the PM? If they need OT every month to complete the PM is it possible they are lacking in staff?

Rather that re-writting the procedure to allow for cancelled PM's, you should be lloking at the big picture not just throwing band-aid on the problem. Address the root cause don't just stop the bleeding. JMHO

B

Bob_M

ISO GUY said:
Cancelled PM's due to resource issue would not fly with me. As was stated previously is the PM based on the manufacturers guidelines?

Do you have supporting information that would allow you to extend the time between PM?

Would it be possible for the operators of the machine to perform some of the PM? If they need OT every month to complete the PM is it possible they are lacking in staff?

Rather that re-writting the procedure to allow for cancelled PM's, you should be lloking at the big picture not just throwing band-aid on the problem. Address the root cause don't just stop the bleeding. JMHO
I agree that the root cause may not be the OT...
and 4.1.d "ensure the availability of resources... necessary to support the operation..." applies
BUT
in real life NO over time and lack of resources may be a problem regardless of ISO and a QMS.
The band-aid may not fix the problem, but it may fix the audit non-conformance.

Also read my above post about what type of PM and why do you have a PM schedule. What is the risk of a late/missed PM?
Risk vs. Need?

N

noboxwine

My 2 sense

I am a PM freak, for sound PM's, in my world, have yielded phenomenal results. That aside, to answer your question, in the auditors eyes, my response is:

I cannot, in no way, no how, tell any company what is an acceptable level of missed PM's for them or anyone else. It's not my job and I do not have the information necessary to make that call. Period. End phone call.

I agree, that if they are important enough to be scheduled, they should be important enough to be completed on time. Yet, even I understand that is only a perfect world. Anyone knows at the flip of a swtich on any given day that people can be cut, resources rearranged and only direct labor hours (folks making sellable product) are permitted OT. And, if an ISO auditor claims a noncompliance that in his/her opinion is related to a lack of resources, when there is a bad economic situation, well, then get ready for a call to the registrar.

The moral of the story is this in my opinion: Maint Mgr determines what the PM frequency is. That is his job. Write the PM procedure very flexible, create usable, but, not anal-retentive tracking mechanisms. Then, here is where I have found the payback: heavily rely on process and product data, and other indicators, to show you whether or not PM activity is sound. Good root cause investigations steer you easily to this. Let's say in a foundry, that if pins and bushings and patterns are all good, but you still have .175" shift on castings, then your table is out of alignment. Increase the line-up PM to a suitable frequency. Institute an operator measurement to show how the table drifts over time to detetmine the best frequency, if not known. Also, you can justify the OT, if needed, because I could easily scrap up to $ 5,000 in castings for shift---and the PM only costs me $ 500. End ramble. Have a day ! :thedeal:

A

Aaron Lupo

Bob_M said:
I agree that the root cause may not be the OT...
and 4.1.d "ensure the availability of resources... necessary to support the operation..." applies
BUT
in real life NO over time and lack of resources may be a problem regardless of ISO and a QMS.
The band-aid may not fix the problem, but it may fix the audit non-conformance.

Also read my above post about what type of PM and why do you have a PM schedule. What is the risk of a late/missed PM?
Risk vs. Need?
Bob as my post stated it was JMHO= Just my humble opinon. Now, lets look at what you said- "The band-aid may not fix the problem, but it may fix the audit non-conformance." Would I accept that response, no (no remember this is my opinion), I would not becuase they did not address the Root Cause.

I did read your post above, did you read mine? I asked is there anyway the operators could do some of the PM and not leave it up to maintenance. I also asked if they have supporting documentation to extend the PM schedule for some of the equipment. I agree that you need to look at the risk of a late/missed PM, but I also do not think (again my opinon) you should write it into your procedure that you are allowed to miss 3% of scheduled PM (that is the easy way out), you need to look at your system and figure out what you can do to prevent missed PM's. :bigwave:

B

Bob_M

ISO GUY said:
Bob as my post stated it was JMHO= Just my humble opinon. Now, lets look at what you said- "The band-aid may not fix the problem, but it may fix the audit non-conformance." Would I accept that response, no (no remember this is my opinion), I would not becuase they did not address the Root Cause.

I did read your post above, did you read mine? I asked is there anyway the operators could do some of the PM and not leave it up to maintenance. I also asked if they have supporting documentation to extend the PM schedule for some of the equipment. I agree that you need to look at the risk of a late/missed PM, but I also do not think (again my opinon) you should write it into your procedure that you are allowed to miss 3% of scheduled PM (that is the easy way out), you need to look at your system and figure out what you can do to prevent missed PM's. :bigwave:
Sounds GOOD :truce:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Internal audit discrepancy - We missed a few audits that were scheduled Internal Auditing 12
A Scheduled during our company's inventory activity - ISO 9001 audit question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
P Internal Audit - Documentation for why audit not completed as scheduled Internal Auditing 6
S Minor NC for Not Having Management Review When Scheduled Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
D New to AS9100 and have a REV C Audit scheduled in Feb. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
Sidney Vianna 2011 CB Aerospace Auditor Workshop scheduled for July in Cambridge, Massachusetts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Sidney Vianna 2010 CB Aerospace Auditor Workshop scheduled for July in Atlanta, Georgia AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
B AS 9100 Follow Up Scheduled Imported Legacy Blogs 0
T When is ISO 13485:2003 Scheduled for Revision? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Software interview scheduled - What advice would you give me?? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
C If it doesn't prevent a non-conformance, is it a preventive action? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Are there ISO9001:2015 Requirements for Preventive Maintenance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
R Evaluating the need for preventive action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
GURU SDI Rust preventive oil mixed with kerosene Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
B Stakeholder Initiated Corrective and Preventive Action Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
D Preventive Maintenance Implementation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Training in 8D Problem Solving as a Preventive Action? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
J If Corrective and Preventive Action were truly Effective IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Preventive Action - confusing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Proactive / Preventive Post Market Surveillance question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Preventive Action - How to call the prevention when there is not a clause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Preventive Maintenance Spreadsheet in Excel Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
somashekar The Preventive Action Demystified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Evaluating Effectiveness of a Preventive Action after Closure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
A Preventive Action and Risk Assessment Audit Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
K CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) - ISO 13485 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Preventive Action or Corrective Action - Paper cuts Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
H Combined Procedure - Control of Non-conforming Product, Corrective and Preventive Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
M Corrective and Preventive Action - Prevent Recurrence is not Preventive Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
K Definition Correction, Corrective Action and Preventive Action - Definition of terms Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 28
F Software recommendations for corrective and preventive action Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Corrective and preventive action for Non Conformance on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 30
B Struggling With Writing PA (Preventive Action) Procedure Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 11
E Can anyone share a Preventive Action Form or Template ? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
H Corrective and Preventive Actions Process Examples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Continuous Improvement vs. Preventive Actions - Differences Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
E Manufacturer Responsibility (vs. User/Customer) for Preventive Maintenance/Repair 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
W Compliance to 8.5.2 Corrective action 8.5.3 Preventive action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
J Is a Procedure required for Corrective, Preventive, and Non Conformities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Customer Complaint Preventive Action Assistance Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
A Assessing a Preventive Maintenance Strategy - Reliability or Maintenance Statistics Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
T Corrective Action and Preventive Action in a Holding Company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
O Corrective Actions identifed as Preventive Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
S How to determine Preventive Maintenance and Calibration Grace Periods General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M What is Preventive Action taken as part of a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
MarilynJ6354 Definition Improvement Suggestion vs. Preventive Action - Clear Definitions and Differences Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6