3 year audit cycle IATF 16949

xfngrs

Quite Involved in Discussions
I used to have a table that showed which processes had to be audited once a year vs once per audit cycle. Does anyone know is this published somewhere? I don't find it in our latest 3rd party audit report.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ashland78

Involved In Discussions
I think this is determined by what you establish in your QMS Manual or system. It is based on risk to customer as well. Doing product audits annually is a given, customer score cards, and management responsibility to name a few. I hope that is helpful.

xfngrs

I used to have a table that showed which processes had to be audited once a year vs once per audit cycle. Does anyone know is this published somewhere? I don't find it in our latest 3rd party audit report.
I think this is determined by what you establish in your QMS Manual or system. It is based on risk to customer as well. Doing product audits annually is a given, customer score cards, and management responsibility to name a few. I hope that is helpful.
Thank you,

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator

Good day @xfngrs;
As already eluded to by others, there is no such requirement. Please clarify if you are speaking of...
QMS audits or...
Process audits or...
Product audits.

Regardless of which, there is no specified frequency (and certainly no specified "which process") requirement.

QMS and Process audits are required to cover "all" over a three year period. Both audit requirements include an "annual program", which simply means your organization must apply some auditing annually (can not wait until year three and then audit "all").

"Importance", "changes..." to the QMS/process, and results of "previous audit results" (i.e. risk) are the intended governance over audit frequency and priority.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

xfngrs

Good day @xfngrs;
As already eluded to by others, there is no such requirement. Please clarify if you are speaking of...
QMS audits or...
Process audits or...
Product audits.

Regardless of which, there is no specified frequency (and certainly no specified "which process") requirement.

QMS and Process audits are required to cover "all" over a three year period. Both audit requirements include an "annual program", which simply means your organization must apply some auditing annually (can not wait until year three and then audit "all").

"Importance", "changes..." to the QMS/process, and results of "previous audit results" (i.e. risk) are the intended governance over audit frequency and priority.

Hope this helps.
Be well.
We are doing mostly QMS audits, but some audits of manufacturing lines as well.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
As said for internal audits you have 3 years to audit all the system BUT
The audit programme shall be prioritized based upon risk internal and external performance trends, and criticality of the process(es).
The frequency of audits shall be reviewed and, where appropriate, adjusted based on occurrence of process changes, internal and external nonconformities, and for customer complaints. The effectiveness of the audit programme shall be reviewed as a part of management review.

The 3rd part audit needs to audit certain aspects every time as per the rules, I think that this is where you are confused

Enghabashy

Involved In Discussions
I see that all system ,processes & products audits should covered yearly

*the frequency & amending the schedule should amend according to : the results of previous audits , the importance & assessment of process in Q.M system ; the recall / complaint received & any OEM /CSR requirements also ; including 2nd party audit results of OEM if applicable ,--etc.

*the 3 years cycle also are including that all records, schedules and documentation should be kept at least stated period also “ 3 years or more “ – this requirements is applicable to raise major NC if repeated during this cycle.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I see that all system ,processes & products audits should covered yearly

*the frequency & amending the schedule should amend according to : the results of previous audits , the importance & assessment of process in Q.M system ; the recall / complaint received & any OEM /CSR requirements also ; including 2nd party audit results of OEM if applicable ,--etc.

*the 3 years cycle also are including that all records, schedules and documentation should be kept at least stated period also “ 3 years or more “ – this requirements is applicable to raise major NC if repeated during this cycle.
Your three points contradict each other. Please see Howard's post above. The idea that all systems, processes and products should be audited yearly is a common misunderstanding among the standards.

I agree with your second point.

I do not fully understand your third point.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Is a full Internal Audit cycle every year required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
P 3 Year Audit Cycle (ISO 17021:2011) General Auditing Discussions 2
A TS 16949 Audit Cycle for Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J Within the 3 year certification cycle, is surveillance audit frequency changeable? General Auditing Discussions 3
B AS9100 Audit Cycle General Auditing Discussions 4
R Internal Audit Requirements - All clauses and subclauses covered over the audit cycle Internal Auditing 9
C Supplier Audit - Looking for a quality audit checklist General Auditing Discussions 3
E Opening meeting for Third-Party Audit--Who should say what? General Auditing Discussions 22
R EU MDR Remote vs In-Person Audit EU Medical Device Regulations 1
F Attendance possibility for a certification audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Audit Report details when ISO 13485:2016 and cGMP 21 CFR 820 are applicable ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Looking for ISO 13485 Internal Audit Checklist ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
G IATF Remote Location audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
G During internal audit - finding poor action plans ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
C Need help in determining applicable clause for an audit finding (based on AS9120B) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
G Opening meeting - internal audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Ed Panek Audit Protocol? Simultaneous surveillance and recertification audits. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D Is a lost calibrated tool an non-conformance for an audit? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 58
D IATF16949 external audit plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B 8.5.1.1 Control Plan - question audit NC IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D ISO 9001:2015 Recertification Audit Timing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Mr Roo Discovered dishonesty after performing an internal audit General Auditing Discussions 4
Q 10.3 Continual improvement - How to audit it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Audit Checklist for European Authorized Representative EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Product audit assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S Customer audit report review and approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Moncia Integrated QMS and audit Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
G Audit & Agreements for "Test Laboratory" Supplier? US Medical Device Regulations 4
J New QMS Auditor - seeking opportunities to gain audit experience Career and Occupation Discussions 3
M IATF external audit NC closure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W IATF 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit how to determine risk IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M Multiple time zones in the Audit Trail Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
X Looking for 17025 auditor to perform internal audit on IT software testing laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
A API Q1 9th Edition Surveillance Audit - Quality Policy Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Audit Finding - Design History File (DHF) Index: few (3 to 4) reports not identified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Q NACE Code 25.6 no reduction in CB audit days? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J 9001 Internal Audit of Client Onboarding process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Streamlining audit response and corrective action processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Corrective Action Notification - Registration Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
chris1price Irradiation site for dose audit Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
PQ Systems 5 Ways to Reduce Stress on Your Next Audit Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Audit Prep – Time for a System Health Check Using GAGEpack Software 0
N API Q1 Audit Surveillance - Questions Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
A Alternative to on site audit in China EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Help to understand and response to API AAR during the re-certification audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
B Internal audit checklist Internal Auditing 5
V Internal Audit Software IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Internal Audit Schedule IATF Internal Auditing 4
Mikey324 External calibration - Finding in our 3rd party audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 58
C ISO 14001 Internal Audit - Opportunity for Improvement ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2