4.1.4 Business Plan preparation

R

Rose Ann

I'm a new Production Manager (4 wks.). I was thrown into this position un-expectantly. Now I'm told I have to write a business plan with short term and long term goals. I've recieved a little advice on how to do this, but I want to do a good job. Can you help? Our audit is in 2 wks.

------------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bryon C Simmons

Hi.

Seems kind of unusual for your executive management to delegate the writing of the business plan to a production manager. Typically, this is a senior level management document, to be used by senior management in the planning and execution of future business plans for the future success of your company. While I have no doubt that you are capable of writing it, it seems a bit odd.

I am not sure you will be able to develop a plan in two weeks. best I can tell you would be to look at the requirements that the standard calls out, and try to gather as much information as you can that already exists, and put that into some type of usuable format. Remember, the Business Plan is confidential...the auditors can't look at it, if you dont show it to them. My experiene is, that they will want to see evidence of its existence.....like maybe a table of contents or equivalent, and then in your Level II procedures, state your methods of tracking, updating, revising, etc. Also, you need to control the pan, per 4.5 This is relatively easy to do. COntrol it similar to your Quality manual.

Put together a format.....may be all the time you will have, prior to the audit. If your audit is pre-assessment, you will get a non-compliance perhaps, but that will give you time to develop it better, prior to the registration audit. If this is a registration audit, then your plan should already be in existence somewhere. Ask your senior management if they have any of hie types of data that should be included. THey may have something started already, and just not aware of it.

Hope this helps.

Bryon

R

Rose Ann

Let me clarify. I only have to write the portion of the business plan that applies to my position. I have become better informed and what they are really looking for is a strategic plan to show continuous improvement. Not the company business plan. I think I'll go with bench marking where we are at now and where I hope to be in the future. Does that sound like the right direction?

------------------

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Rose Ann,

Traditionally, strategic plans, as you clarified, are used to develop the senior level business plan. Bryon has given details on the control of the business plan. Your idea to benchmark is a good one (keep in mind that you benchmark against an outside agent, generally a "best pratice" outfit). Your idea to use baseline data for comparative measures is also a good idea. When developing your strategic plans, state your objectives and goals in specific, measurable, and realistic terms. Determine your possible obstacles and solutions for them and bulletize when ever possible (as in an Executive Summary). The simpler the stated terms and benefits are, the better. Only the highlights of your strategic plans will be outlined in the Business Plan anyway. For production, I might include topics such as Labor Variance, Labor Efficiencies, plans to automate, and training. Be sure to have a mix of short term and long term topics. I hope this helps to get you going. Good Luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 Contingency Plan required for small Business? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Informational Australia – TGA business plan 2019-20 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Seeking for an example or a template of a Business Plan Service Industry Specific Topics 3
L Need a bone to throw at a customer (Business Continuity/Contingency Plan) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 11
R How to test a BCP (Business Continuity Plan) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
K Testing the Business Continuity Plan Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
somashekar Business Process Plan concerning MOH Malaysia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
Richard Regalado Sample Plan for Developing an ISO 22301 Business Continuity Management System (BCMS) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 3
M Business Plan vs Quality Plan in the TS16949 standard Benchmarking 5
J How to audit a confidential business plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N How Do I Make a Business Plan - 17025 Accredited Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
T Incorporate BCP (Business Continuity Plan) into QMS Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
I Quality Assurance Business Plan & Strategy Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
I Business Continuity Plan for manufacturing a IVD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Business Plan for Setting Up a Quality Department Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
M Do ISO requires Business Plan? Any sample template? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P Can anyone give Business Continuity Plan (BCP) (ISO 27001) Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 10
M Will a Business Plan be included in an ISO 9001 Audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J Does my company's Business Plan Contents comply with requirements of TS 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S ISO/TC 71 Business Plan - Concrete, reinforced concrete and pre-stressed concrete" Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
RoxaneB Vendor Listing in a Business Continuity Plan / Disaster Recover Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
P Reference or recommendation of items to be included in the Business Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B Linking Quality Plan Objectives to the Business Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
sridharafep How do you Prepare your Business Plan for year 2008 - Focusing on QUALITY Function World News 3
Manix Is the Business Plan an Input, Resource or Output of Management Review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 32
N Quality Plan template for Engineering, Procurement and Construction Business ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D What does "Customer Business Plan" in the AIAG APQP manual mean? APQP and PPAP 0
J Business Plan audit questions for TS16949 audit? General Auditing Discussions 1
K Business Plan - Quality Objectives and Measureables - TS 16949 Para 5.4.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Business Plan - Seeking Example based on ISO/TS 16949 requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S TS16949 Desk Audit - Business Plan Contents IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
M Strategic Business Plan - Strategic Business Objectives vs. Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 47
J Business Plan and Management Reviews Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
T Business Plan - Training QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
H Corelation Of The Intent Between Business Plan, Company Data And ISO 9000 4.1? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
M Business Plan - More than one to form the whole QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M Business plan/ Benchmark - Input of business plan/marketing strategy and benchmarks APQP and PPAP 2
A Business Plan ISO 9000:2000 - Who are they to say we need a Business Plan? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
D Business Plan Requirements - 4.1.1.2 Scope of quality objectives in the business plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
Marc Customer advocacy should be contained in the company business plan QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Richard Regalado Top 10 operational risks of 2019 for business continuity planning Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Supplier evaluation and business needs in the context of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M SOP Sample for BC/ISO22301 (Business Continuity) wanted Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
M BCM (Business Continuity) and BPM in a company with an IT System Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 0
A Brazil: Termination of business relations with BRH – what happens to registrations? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Jen Kirley Conway Business Services LLC - Jen Kirley ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 0
J Business Intelligence and 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
G Anyone working with or planning to do business in the CBD (cannabidiol) industry? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Supplier Management outsourcing - Business idea Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8