4.16 Quality Records - Retention - Customer Purchase Orders (POs)

L

LaurieB

In regards to record retention, we are expected to maintain customer PO's for the life of the product + 1 year, per the procedure. My question is two fold. First, why would an issued PO be more important to keep than quality records of a product that may be in use for several years? This does not make sense. Is a PO to be considered the job order as well as the customer order?

My next one is concerning a statement that "the requirement does not supersede any governmental or customer requirements. All specified retention periods shall be considered "minimums". Does this mean that a customer issued waiver stating that records shall be held for, let's say 5 years could take the place of keeping them for the life of the product run?

Any insight is appreciated...

Laurie

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
They want you to keep POs because they contain 'requirements'.

Not as I understand it. If the minimum is stated to be three years, and the customer asks for 10, the customer's is the requirement. If the customer says 1 year, your minimum still applies. I don't believe a customer 'waiver' would mean much in this sense.

It could be (NOTE the word *COULD*) interpreted that if a customer specifically *requires* a certain, specified record to be destroyed after 1 year, that would be the requirement to meet.

My opinion.

S

Scott Knutson

I agree with Marc. P.O.'s contain requirments, therefore, they need to be kept. And the standard talks to minimums, but if a customer asks you to keep a record longer, or the government has a requirement for that particular record, then that becomes the default time.

Top Bottom