4.2.2c - Description of the interaction between the processes of the QMS

D

donnammurphy

I am updating my Quality Manual to the new standard and do not understand section 4.2.2c - a description of the interaction between the processes of the QMS. Can anyone give this to me in simpler terms? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

juliedrys

What I'm doing is this:

Identifying the company's "key business processes," usually 10-12 major processes such as Order Management, Design & Development, Materials Management, etc. These high-level flows become the Level 2 (System Maps) for the Business System, and they are also used to identify the Level 3 (procedures/work instructions) needed.

I then create a system-level view of how these key processes tie together; I can't show you this in text, but think of the process model picture that's in the standard (figure 1), but using the company's key processes instead.

This is particularly useful if the company has an intranet-based system; you can make each of the "boxes" or areas in this chart have a hyperlink to the associated System Map, which in turn links to the Procedures/Work Instructions.

I would love to hear how others are addressing this.

Personally I love the new process approach to the Standard. I'm so sick of the 20 elements.
This is more creative and can be implemented in a way that is much more meaningful to individual companies. I think it's going to be harder for auditors, but that's another whole topic.

Julie

G

Greg Mack

What I have done is create a simple one-page flow chart that shows the relationship and interaction of our major processes within the business.

It isn't any easier than that.

D

Dan Larsen

I'm wondering if everyone is getting to wrapped up with the flow chart issue to respond to this aspect of the standard. Don't get me wrong...a flow chart of the system can be good, but I question if that's what the intent is.

I read the clause as simply telling the company to make sure the manual addresses how the individual elements interact. For example: make sure that the appropriate sections feed back to management review; does the nonconformance system feed appropriately to corrective action; if a calibration is found out of conformance, does the system properly interact with other aspects of the system to respond; etc.

Although a flow chart approach will work for this aspect of the standard, I think making sure all sections of your manual properly cross reference potentially applicable sections (either in text, cross reference matrices, or flow charts), you'll meet the intent.

The transition books I've been reading suggest that this is one of the "no change required" sections...permissible exclusions (4.2.2 (a)) is getting all the attention.

This is probably one of the sections where "auditor expectations" will probably end up being the driving force.

J

Jon Shaver

Recognizing that quality problems often occur as one process completes an action and another takes over, I believe 4.2.2a simply asks you to indicate the flow for this "handover" - i.e. how does output from one process become input for another. Perhaps replacing "interaction" with "interface", makes it clearer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Quality Manual - Description of the Interaction between Processes of the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 27
V Cl. 4.2.2 - Quality Manual includes a description of the interaction between the ... Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 29
A Description of Main Elements of OH&SMS and their Interaction (Documentation) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
R Description of the Interaction of Processes - Para 4.2.2 c) - Seeking Examples ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 30
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
F MEDDEV 2.7/1 rev 4 and MDR - Definition of Description of Principles of operation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
I Best visual description for SOPs? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
P Special 510(k) - Modified Medical Device Description Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Pmarszal Two Questions on UDI Product Description (GS1 US and GTIN aspects) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22
M ISO 22000 7.3.5.2 Description of Process Steps and Control Measures Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
G Need help on Device Description in the Acceptance Checklist for Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S R&D Documentation Manager Responsibilities Job Description Career and Occupation Discussions 1
S Description for GMDN Code wanted Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
P HACCP Product Description Requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
P TS 16949 Clause 5.5.1 and Personnel Job Description Requirements Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 7
Q Buyer Job Description needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L Device Description in CSDT Format - Medical Device Instructions for Use (IFU) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
S Quality Team Job Description and Organization Chart wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Production Manager Job Description example wanted Career and Occupation Discussions 6
A Quality Control Laboratory Technician Job Description IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Job description for an ISO 14001 Coordinator/Administrative Assistant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R Information Security Officer Job Description IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 5
K Quality Responsibilities (job description) of Line Managers Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
Q Full Job Description and Responsibilities in ISO 9000? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
6 Description of Outsourced Processes in ISO 22000 Manual Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 4
D Job Description and Responsibilities for a New Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M How much Process Description is required or needed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Preparing a job description that meets the ISO 9001:2008 standard requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Definition Description and Appearance - What is the difference in a Chemical Laboratory? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
eternal_atlas No Job Description for Skilled Employees - An Audit Nonconformance? General Auditing Discussions 26
M ANSI B107.17 Description of the Standard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
F Process Documentation Tools - A study about process description Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S QA (Quality Assurance) and RA (Regulatory Affairs) Manager Job Description Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
R Company Director - Competency and Documented Job Description Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
I Process description of "customer requirements" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J Quality Policy - should a brief description of the company & its product be included? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
sathis Audit Trails - Definition, Description and Software Internal Auditing 9
A Process description template - Please review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Document Control Job Description Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
D Description of Total Quality Management Practices (DTQMP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
K HACCP product description - Processed food Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 3
S Process Description form Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
B Covering Quality Manager/QMR JD (Job Description) with QMR Roles in Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P Quality Engineer - Job description Career and Occupation Discussions 8
S Process Description Worksheet (COP, MOP, SOP) example needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
H Specification Description - Product audit on the production floor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4