4.2.4 Control of Records - Can someone please clarify "...and disposition of records"

Crusader

Trusted Information Resource
Can someone please clarify "...and disposition of records". (The TS text actually clarifies it but ISO does not.) Are we all to assume that we have to define the disposal of records as TS requires?

Thanks,
Lee :confused:

Last edited:
Lee said:
Can someone please clarify "...and disposition of records". (The TS text actually clarifies it but ISO does not.) Are we all to assume that we have to define the disposal of records as TS requires?

Thanks,
Lee :confused:
Be confused no more. Yes, the retention period for each document should be set to what you need. The following threads may be of use to you:

Trigger Point - Determining When We Can Dispose of Quality Records
Control of Records Definition - Controls needed and the 'disposition' of records
Defining Record Retention Times - Is 5 years long enough?
Quality Records - How long do you keep inspection records and why?
Disposition of Records

/Claes

Crusader

Still confused...Disposition of records

I guess I wasn't clear. I understand that a retention is necessary and it's defined already in our procedure.

It's the "Disposition" that is not clear. What exactly is disposition...because ISO does not say "disposal". Disposition and Disposal are 2 completely different meanings.

I see that this topic moved - I don't know where it was moved to. I originally did a search and came up blank for help - hence my posting under ISO 9001 series.

Lee

Crusader

Got Help?

Actually, No, I did not. Everyone seems to think that disposition means disposal. I fail to see it that way. No one (so far) has convinced me otherwise.
When a record or a product is dispositioned, then you do take some sort of action based from the disposition. So you may file, archive, distribute, convert from hard copy to soft copy, dispose...etc. Disposal is NOT the only option here.

Sheesh, if I am way outta line and interpreting wrong myself. Tell me. I'll surrender again.
Lee

D

Dave Dunn

No expert here personally, but my understanding is that you'd want to define what happens to the records after their given retain period. It sounds like you have the right idea, but just need to spell it out in procedure. For example:
"Inspection records are stored by tool number for a minimum of 3 years, or per customer requirement, whichever is greater, after which they are to be discarded."

or to get more complex:

"...after which they are to be scanned into .pdf files to be stored in the customer tool number directory for the life of the project. The hardcopy is to be shredded after scanning."

Basically just spell out whatever method your company or customers require for disposition of the records.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Again, I apologize for coming late to the thread.

"Disposition" is NOT disposal, but disposal may be one of the options for disposition.

Let me explain:
In the sense used in this thread, this definition from the US government may help
Disposition. The actions taken regarding records no longer needed for current Government business. These actions include transfer of records to a Federal Records Center; transfer of records from one Federal agency to another; transfer of permanent records to the NARA; disposal of temporary records; or occasionally, donation of Government records.
Disposition authority. Legal approval empowering an agency to transfer permanent records to the NARA or carry out the disposal of temporary records. Approval must be obtained from the NARA.
So, "disposition" essentially means "changing the position" of the records.

Some documents and records are kept forever (corporate charter), some for a definite time (tax records, quality inspection sheets), some for an indefinite time (sales proposals, old telephone bills.)

The task of record keeping is to determine as much as possible (when the record is first stored) how long the organization will hold that record before pulling it out for "disposition" review. At that review (which could be days, weeks, months, years, in the future), the organization makes a decision to keep the record as is, convert it to another form (scan or microfilm) and retain it, or to transfer it to someone else, or to destroy it.

The tricky part is merely keeping track of each record's review date. Since different types of records have different holding periods, the review periods also vary. In the days of hard paper copies, hordes of clerks used to keep elaborate cross-index files and tickler files to identify and retrieve records for review at the appropriate time. Modern computer systems can do all that with far fewer errors and much less cost.

Ultimately, someone with appropriate authority (equal to the importance of the document) has to be part of the review process.

I hope this helps you determine what to do when someone tasks you with "disposition" even when that person has no clue of the real meaning of the term when used in regard to records.

Crusader

Finally!

Thank you for jumping in and laying it out there clearly for all to read. Hopefully, everyone will see the light. Well stated.

Lee :agree1:

Top Bottom