4.5 Document Control and Shop Aids - Do shop aids need to be controlled?

J

Jim H

Do shop aids need to be controlled under 4.5 other than to mark them "Shop Aid" and document that shop aids are not controlled? By shop aid I mean a drawing that is "marked up" by an operator so that he may perform his job more efficiently. As long as he does not change the intent of the drawing and uses it to highlight important areas.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Mullins

What if I spent may hours writing a procedure for a critical activity, and then gave a copy of the procedure to the one person who was going to use it but I didn't bother to control the document, would I have a 'quality system'?
I would say not. The poor person performing the task is relying on the fact he has the correct and latest data - if the drawing is not controlled how can we prove that he has?
I would expect that the drawing number and issue status is controlled by the drawing office.
The term "marked-up" worries me. If marking-up involves any changes to the numbers or specifications on the drawing, then the marked-up copy needs to be returned to the drawing office so that the drawings can be updated to a current state. If you didn't do this, firstly your inspector (presuming some form of checking by yourself or customer)would hit the wall because things don't match, secondly if you gave the non-updated original drawing to another operator and said make this thing, you will not get an identical product.
All of this raises the potential for questioning the design approval process and much more!

------------------

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
someone needs to authorize the mark ups, and it must be clear to anyone what the original drawing and revision is..typically an initial and date label is enough...a procedure for local control allowing this needs to be in place. I see your question as highlights, color coding, operator specific stuff..not global...am I right?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The original is controlled, correct? So - if it changes (officially) it will be replaced. As is noted above, the question is "What is marked?" If the operator, for example, makes notes on the document which do not change the document (such as dimensions) I see no problem. The auditor is going to be suspicious, however, and ask questions: "Why does the operator need to mark up drawings with....?" "If it's important enough for the operator to mark up the document, should those markups not be officially added?"

If you can provide a decent answer, you should be OK. I see this quite a bit in machine shops where operators make notes on prints quite often. The print is controlled, however, so the print (or other document) had best be the latest release.

Barb said: "...someone needs to authorize the mark ups..." which is true if any criteria is changed. I might also discuss the 'markups' with the operator to see just why s/he puts the markups there and whether communication is maintained. If the operator indicates s/he 'needs' the markups, I would have questions about the adequacy of the document in and of its self.

A last thought is consideration as to whether operators take info from one controlled document and put it on another - which I see quite often. In that case there is a problem. If the derivitive document (from where the info came from) changes there is no guarantee that the note(s) on the receiving document will be changed - which is obviously a problem.

Just some thoughts.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Wanted: Examples of printed copy disclaimers that help with SHOP document control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
O Vendor vs Engineering Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
GreatNate Document Control info - What is required on a controlled form/document for ISO 9001: 2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Document Control Software Needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Document Control - Revision Number in Document Names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
I Document Control Workflow Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
D ISO 9001:2015 8.5.6 and 7.5.3 Document Control Questions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 51
R Changing Document Control software. Must I transfer EVERYTHING? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
B Referencing to Supplier Outputs within our Document Control System 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Sidney Vianna IAF Mandatory Document #23 - Control of CB Franchisees and Agents Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Document Control - old revision vs new revision Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
D Software for advancing with Document Control Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1 - Lotus Notes for Document Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
A Removing purchase order form from document control - should it be done? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
I Video under Document Control SOP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Document control for tooling drawings (Document control clause 7.5.3) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Document Control - Do hard copies of documents need to be signed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R External Standards List (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Retiring documents in Document Control Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Managing Level 3 Production Documents - Document Control System Help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Cross Function Process Map for Document Control Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
0 How to deal with resistance to GDP Document Control Discipline Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
dubrizo Restructuring Document Control Numbering System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G Migrating to an ISO 13485:2016 Compliant Document Control System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 39
S Looking for Document Control Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Document Control Guidelines in Engineering Projects - Excel sheets with VBA coding Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Challenges in document control, revisional control, and change control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
tony s Performance Indicators for Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
M Document Control Management - External documents flowed down from customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T Document Control of FMEAs and Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
T Is there a difference between form control and document control ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
x-files Proper Document Control Requests Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Nonconformance on document control - Unapproved document on production server Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Where does Document Revision Control Start? Rev 0 or Rev 1 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Document Control - Document Revision History Question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
M I Attached My first Document Control Procedure for your Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L ISO 13485 Document Control - Document Changes - Needing Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Gman2 My Attached Document Control Procedure for your Review ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4