4.5 Engineering Change record of implementation into production

K

kennyq

What exactly are the looking for when they ask for record of engineering change into production. My company seems to think they are talking about the PPAP date. I don't think so, I think they mean what it says "actual implementation into production"

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Andy Bassett

Hello Kennyq

Doesnt look like you got an answer to your question, and i dont think that i am going to help you much (PS have another go at rephrasing it, maybe you will connect with someone out there).

As an aside, an auditor once told me that he checks the health of a company in 10 minutes by REVIEWING THEIR ENGINEERING CHANGE SYSTEM.

I didnt really read too much into this at the time, but the more i see the more i think it is true. I guess it is because many companies concentrate on getting products manufactured and out of the door, at the expense of working to consequential/disciplined procedures. In most companies an Engineering Change involves a lot of small detailed work that nobody wants to take on and ensure it is done. In my environment (Motorsport) this is deadly. Stores are not asked to scrap or rework parts, customers are not informed about changes, suppliers are not informed about changes to open orders etc.

In one company where i am now we have developed an Excel spreadsheet, where the changes are noted and we have developed a number system for the necessary changes, of which there are 16 POSSIBILITIES, ie Possibility Number 3 - Send new drawing to supplier etc. The relevant Project Manager is responsible to ensure that all these activities are done, and only then can he close the point.

Coming back to your question, i think you are being asked how the outcomes from your Engineering Change System is actioned.

Come back to use if you dont have what you want

Regards

------------------
Andy B

[This message has been edited by Andy Bassett (edited 23 June 2000).]

L

Laura M

I was always told it was the date of implementation in production. The best control I had at a large company was updated paper work with the engineering change level and the effective date of change. Still PPAP documentation, and I think the Source warrant documented the effective date.

J

Jim Biz

Just 2Cnts worth: we're 9002 - don't deal with design changes but it could be close to what we do with "contract/blueprint ammendment" changes that come along.

Can't be sure but the way the question reads but I would think that a "master log" of what changes were officially approved and what date they were released would cover it.

Regards
Jim

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You manufacture a lot. You implement a change. You have to record the lot number of the last of the old 'design' and the 1st lot of the 'new design'. It has nothing to do with the PPAP date. Your interpretation is correct.

D
During our assessment audit, this question came up and what we did to fix it was: When htere is an engineering (print,drawing) change, we mark up the print change documentation for the date it first went into production and an order was completed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Record Filing Question Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
Revision36 Engineering Change Order Industry Standards Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) process questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
D Engineering Change Order (ECO) metrics to track ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C E signatures on Engineering Change Notes AS9100 / AS9116 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
J Class 1 Medical Device ECR (Engineering Change Request) Changes 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Engineering change order versus a design change request ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Software Suggestions for Engineering Change/QMS Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Q Change of fields - Quality Engineering Electronics Vs medical Devices Career and Occupation Discussions 20
T Engineering Change Management Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Engineering Change Management Generic Procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Ford Motor Engineering Change Level definition Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
T Need help developing an ECO (Engineering Change order) procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Documents not controlled by the ECO (Engineering Change Order) process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D How to process Customer ECO's (Engineering Change Orders) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J ECO (Engineering Change Order) Control for Unreleased Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q ECR (Engineering Change Request) or NCR (Nonconformance Report) in Fabrication? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L Engineering Change Control Software Systems - Recommendations? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L The Perfect Engineering Change and Concessions Management System Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Formula for Prioritizing Engineering Change Requests (ECR)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q How to close the circle QMS and ECO (Engineering Change Order)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Document Control ECO (Engineering Change Order) or QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Management of Change - MOC Procedure and Forms - Engineering, Project, Safety Systems Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q ECR?s (Engineering Change Requests) in Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Is ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Necessary for Part Number Change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D ECO (Engineering Change Order) Risk Management Criteria and QA Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 19
Q How to monitor Engineering Change Requests? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M ECO (Engineering Change Order) Tracking and Status Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Launch Change Request Form vs. Engineering Change Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Engineering/Document Change Notice Procedure required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
P How to specify criteria for TECN (Temporary Engineering Change Notice) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T ECO (Engineering Change Order) Implementation checklist/work instruction Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
V How to measure ECO (Engineering Change Order) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T From ECR (Engineering Change Request) to ECN (Engineering Change Note) - double work! Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Definition Engineering Change and Document Change - Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2
9 ECR (Engineering Change Request) process - Please critique / review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
pammesue Managing ECN (Engineering Change Notice) Blueprints Database..any solutions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Q How to implement an External Engineering Change ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Engineering Change Request/Order (ECR/ECO) or Document Change Request/Order (DCR/DCO) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 30
W Engineering ECR (Engineering Change Request) and ECN (Eng Change Notice) Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
K When to use an Engineering Change Request (ECR) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
J Automated Engineering Specification Change Notifications? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Reducing Engineering Change Orders Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
O ECN (Engineering Change Notice) to ECR (Change Request) Database with Email Report Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
R What's the difference between Engineering (ECN) and Process (PCN) Change Notes? FMEA and Control Plans 4
U Advice on Engineering Change Request (ECR) software Software Quality Assurance 4
R ECO (Engineering Change Order) presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
R ECO (Engineering Change Order) Question for all experts (fill the blanks) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4