4.9.2 Maintaining Process Control - Maintaining ongoing process capability

M

MSHELLEY

If one reads this element literally, and I do mean literally, it borders on the absurd. "The supplier shall maintain(or exceed) process capability or performance as approved via PPAP. Should one interpret this to mean if a PPAP is submitted showing a short term capability of 2.0, that a 2.0 would have to be maintained ongoing? This contridicts the PPAP Manual page 8 which talks about a lower Ppk of 1.33 ongoing as opposed to a 1.67 which is required for ppap submission. Our registrar is hanging on the literal and I have a feeling we are being hung period. I would like someone elses intrepretation. Thanks, Mike

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The PPAP manual is a guide and as such is not auditable so you have to stick with the QS9000 book as the focus of your compliance

I'm not savvy on how they are interpreting the capability aspect of your question. I'll take a looksie if I get a few minutes this weekend and see what the books say.

Anyone else want to field an opinion on this issue?

L

Lyndon Diong

I flip through the manual but could not locate that statement. Where exactly does that statement come from?

L

Lyndon Diong

Disregard my previous message. I found that statement in the Third Ed. I think Cpk is just one of the indicator of process capability.
If your Cpk is 2 as approved via PPAP, which exceeds 1.33. During production your Cpk is 1.7 which also exceeds 1.33. Therefore you are maintaining the Cpk exceeding 1.33 as approved via PPAP.
Does this sound logical?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
MSHELLY,

Please cite where in the new QS the statement is that contradicts the PPAP manual. I'll look closer at it and give you my read. I think what you are asking is this: "If I submit PPAP with a capability Ppk of 2.0 is that my minimum Ppk through out the life of production?"

C

Christian Lupo

I'll agree with Chad on this one. If there was one thing that was reiterated time and time again while I was becoming a QS certified auditor, it's that there are 3 documents that make QS-9000: The QSR manual, PPAP, and the QSA. These three document are mandatory. FMEA, APQP, MSA, and SPC are "optional". The way the QSR reads they are mandatory options if there is such a thing.

C

Chad Nunnery

A slight correction to what was stated earlier. Since 4.2.4.1 indicates "The supplier shall fully comply with all requirements set forth in the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) manual," I believe this means that the PPAP manual is auditable.

L

Lyndon Diong

1) Am I right to say that full PPAP requirements are applicable to suppliers to Ford, GM and Chrysler, but partially (with modification) applicable to party seeking third party registration?
2) Could someone response to MSHELLEY's question? If that (4.9.2)is taken literally, I need to list all Ppk values for different products submitted and and compare them against current values. This is a lot of work. I prefer a fixed value e.g. > 1.33.

S

Scott Knutson

I'm going to agree with what Christian has said. If you look at the document progression chart on page 6 of the third edition, it clearly shouws that the QS9000 manual and PPAP are to "define customer requirements". APQP, FMEA, etc. are listed under "Customer Reference Manual," though this goes against what LRQA recently told a large manufacturer going through a QS9000 certification audit.

R

Roger Eastin

I think the wording in the PPAP manual is somewhat confusing on page 8. It looks like the Big 3 want to "hedge" a little bit. It's clear that they may not be satisfied with Ppk between 1.33 and 1.67, even though according to their criteria, this assumes that the process is stable. They clearly want Ppk above 1.67. I would say that if your process is submitted with a Ppk of 2.0, then this needs to be maintained throughout the product's production life. It looks like if you submit with a certain Ppk, then that's what the Big 3 (or auditor) expects to see as the ongoing "requirement" for your process. I would take the statement under 4.9.2 as the overriding requirement for Ppk.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Maintaining Process Control QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Q Production on Plastics Drums - Process Flow and Maintaining Cleanliness Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Maintaining traceability through our manufacturing process - Protective suits - 110 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
G How is everyone handling TS2 Clause 8.2.3.1 - Maintaining Process Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
P TS 16949 Clause 8.2.3.1 - Maintaining Process Capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Maintaining manufactoring process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Main responsibility for Control Plans - creating and maintaining FMEA and Control Plans 13
P Procedure for maintaining Confidentiality And Impartiality in a Laboratory Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
G Maintaining of Performance during the Lifetime of a IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Software for maintaining of Technical files and medical device documentation(RA need) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
B What is our requirement for maintaining the EMC series of standards? IEC 61000 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
JoCam Cost of maintaining CE Mark Regulatory Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A CE Mark - Maintaining Technical File and Regulatory Assessment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W Maintaining Component Traceability in DHR (Design History Record) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
V Maintaining an E-Record for Equipment Data Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
D Redundant BOMs - Maintaining a Reference Only BOM on our Top Level Assembly Drawings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
D Procedure for Maintaining Industry Standards and Identifying Revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
H Source for Compiling and Maintaining an EHS Legal Register Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
S Advice on moving QMS Documents and Maintaining Revision History Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
M AS9100 Rev C - Determining, Providing and Maintaining" Infrastructure AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S Maintaining ISO 9001:2008 when Automotive Business is Slow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T Requirements - Controlling and Maintaining Sheet Metal Templates for Production Use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N ISO 9001 based Audit Schedules: Creating and Maintaining - Template wanted General Auditing Discussions 5
S What's the logical difference between maintaining & retaining records of review? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
S A question on Maintaining the Integrity of the QMS (5.4.2) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C API Q1 8th ed/ISO TS 29001 Maintaining Responsibility for Outsourced Processes Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
S Quality Manual - Possibility of maintaining only SOFT COPIES Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 17
A Maintaining Dual Standards ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 - Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
T How many hours a week do you devote to maintaining your QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A Rechargeable Battery in Medical Device - Controling and Maintaining Batteries Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
G Calibration laboratory start-up - Maintaining the same ambient conditions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
ScottK Maintaining an SPC program with reduced staffing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B Specifications - Maintaining current revisions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Sidney Vianna Maintaining Accredited Certification During the Global Financial Crisis Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Colin Cost of Maintaining Auditor Certification (IRCA QMS Lead Auditor) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Review and Verification for Maintaining Software Software Quality Assurance 10
Z Creating and Maintaining a Top Ten Poor Quality Supplier Performer List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
T Plug Gages - How people are maintaining calibration on plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
apestate Advice on maintaining surface plate condition - Starrett crystal pink surface plate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
gard2372 Implementation and Maintaining Lean Guide book - Seeking recommendations and reviews Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 10
S Maintaining and tracking laboratory voltage standards - A2LA audit General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H Maintaining Certification - Do you need to take the test again? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
R Guidance for 'Maintaining Compliance to 820 - FDA and ISO 13485:2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
E Procedure Numbering Change? Still the need for maintaining Level 1, 2, 3, documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Release checklist EO sterilization process Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3