4.9 Control of Nonconforming Testing - Work

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
This question is primarily for those accredited Testing Labs. To begin with, How would you complete that title? Control of Nonconforming Testing Work - Testing Activity - or just Testing? If you are a testing lab that performs destructive type testing, then what is to the control of the Test Item after the test? If the Test Item Fails to comply OR complies with Requirements (result of testing) does the Test Item itself have to be identified since it was made unuseable? Would you share with me how you addressed this element in your testing laboratory?

Thanks,
Doug

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
How 'bout 'Control of Nonconforming Tests'? I assume you are referring to a test performed incorrectly as opposed to test failures. If an item 'fails' a test but the test was performed correctly, there is no nonconformance on the part of the testing lab. Any failure of the test item is an issue for the customer to deal with.

Items should be well identified but how far you go, especially with respect to evidence (pictures, data, etc.), depends upon the overall requirements. The item its self is 'evidence' and it is the customer's property. Typically a lab will ask ahead of time if the customer wants the remnants of the test. Typically they do, especially if the DUT (device under test) fails so they can analyze the failure mode(s). Just like any contract review process, all the customer requirements should be determined well in advance of the actual testing.

I once managed Cincinnati Electronics' environmental test lab - vibration, shock, Mil-S-901 Shock, humidity, altitude, explosive atmosphere, salt spray, thermal shock - you name it we did it. Mostly Mil testing (such as various Mil-Std-810 testing) but we took outside commercial work. As an 'Oh My' fact, I first started in automotive there, strange as it seems today, doing studies for Ford in environmental stress screening of a number of their electronic assemblies.

We also did the studies for qualification of the original Ryan Storm-Scope for aircraft. We took pictures of both the display and the DUT periodically throughout the testing process, took notes, we took electical readings. We ended up with a pile of documentation which we submitted with a long 'report' explaining exactly what we did, how we did it, when we did it, etc. The report was to be part of their submission to the FAA for 'qualification'.

The requirements were all determined prior to my replying to a RFQ. It was in that job that I first understood the importance of contract review.

E

energy

I'm not so sure.....

Marc said:
How 'bout 'Control of Nonconforming Tests'? I assume you are referring to a test performed incorrectly as opposed to test failures. If an item 'fails' a test but the test was performed correctly, there is no nonconformance on the part of the testing lab. Any failure of the test item is an issue for the customer to deal with.
Although Doug has said it is much clearer, now, I'm fuzzy on the assumption that he is asking about tests performed incorrectly. It appears to this "It's Monday and Foggy Head) that Doug is asking about the control of items that have either passed or failed the properly performed destructive test. No? :bonk:

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Was Foggy!

Energy,

At the time of the post I was foggy. After re-thinking the 4.9 requirements and the requirement in 4.1.5 a) departures and actions to prevent or minimize such departures, I came up with a process to cover both. You are perceptive, and thanks for trying to help me!

Doug

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R ISO 17025 section 4.9 - Control of Nonconforming Testing and Calibration Work ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L Containment and Control of Nonconforming Product(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Quarantine Zone - Control of Nonconforming Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
D Control of Nonconforming product (5.10 API Q1) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P ISO9001 in Quality Control Department - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar Can Process Deviation be handled under control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Nonconforming Product Procedure vs. Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
M How to Control Nonconforming Product? TS 16949 Clause 8.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Boundary of Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Q AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Process for Approving Personnel AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
J Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Materials and Products - Example wanted Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
N Nonconforming Material (NCM) Control in very Small Manufacturing Companies ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Control of Nonconforming Products - AS91000 Clause 8.3 Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S AS9100 Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product Q AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
quality1 AS9100 Clause 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Clarification wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
N Control of Nonconforming Product in a Service Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
M Documented Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Product - Electricity Generation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J Excluding Control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Nonconforming Material Control - Gap in the Control of Non-Conforming Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
L Control of Nonconforming Product in a Tool Shop - Scrap Dies Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
L AS9100 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Responsibilities AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
E Medical Device Software - Control of Nonconforming Product and Rework ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Control of nonconforming services ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D 8.3 Control of nonconforming product Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
K Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Software Services Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
kmyers Scrap Material Areas - How to control nonconforming material ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Control of Nonconforming Product - Customer and/or Regulatory Approval ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Control of Nonconforming Items In Lean Environment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
S Defect Control Record - How to track nonconforming product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Nonconforming Services - Procedure for Control of Non Conforming Products Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
A Positive Control of in-process nonconforming parts until rendered physically unusable Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
T Control Of Nonconforming Material / Product - Feedback on my Procedure Please Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S Control of Nonconforming Product - Seeking Information and Example Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Douglas E. Purdy Sampling Plans & Control of Nonconforming Product Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
M Control of Nonconforming product, Clause 8.3 - Audit finding - No Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
K How would one draw a turtle diagram for 'Control of nonconforming products' Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
K Define control of nonconforming service in public service such as government Service Industry Specific Topics 7
Douglas E. Purdy How AQL Inspection & Test corresponds to Control of Nonconforming Product AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
M Control of nonconforming product - Software Company - ISO 9001, Clause 8.3 Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
R Willful case of circumvention of our Control of Nonconforming Product procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 18
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27