4GM - Fourth Generation Management (Deming)

D

Don Watt

I recently noticed a job profile for a "Continuous improvement Co-ordinator" which mentioned supporting / coaching leaders to work in a "4GM" way. It's not something I've heard of before - can anybody out there enlighten me please??

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

Paul Hollingworth

4GM is short for Fourth Generation Management. It refers to the fourth generation of management paradigms mostly associated with Dr W Edwards Deming.
You can read a full explanation of the origins of this term on my website: www.4gm.com

J

John C

Paul,
I liked your definition;

Only 4th Generation Management recognises the need for a whole systems approach to managing chaos.

I think that the principle behind ISO 9001/2 is the recognition that there has to be a whole systems approach to management. I certainly don't see this reflected in the bulk of the discussion re the standard, nor in it's implementation, but I see it when I read 4.1 and 4.2.

I'm not questioning your 4GM - it seems like a good approach to an old problem and, because of the misconceptions and misuse of ISO 9001/2 and the probability that this will get worse, rather than better, maybe I should be thinking of a fresh approach as well.

I'd like to hear your opinion of this. I'll be interested to have a look at your website in detail but haven't had a chance yet. Good luck with the business.

rgds,
John C

[This message has been edited by John C (edited 02 July 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational Fourth WHO Global Forum on Medical Devices REPORT Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
O Significant Production Run - 2.1 in Section 2 of the PPAP Manual fourth edition APQP and PPAP 3
S ISO 9001, Fourth edition, 2008-11-15 - Do I have the most current standard? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
X Bias Analysis issues in MSA Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
P Is there an Errata sheet for AIAG's MSA Manual Fourth Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
kedarg6500 MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Fourth Edition Excel Sheet wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
I What is the difference between FMEA Fourth edition (AIAG) and VDA 4.2? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
Atul Khandekar MSA Reference Manual, Fourth Edition Now Available - June 2010 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 59
S Electronic forms for Fourth Edition PPAP - THE-1002 form APQP and PPAP 10
K PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available to order in advance on February 24 APQP and PPAP 4
G AIAG PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available exclusively from AIAG March 1, 2006 APQP and PPAP 6
J AIAG PPAP Third edition changes to Fourth - Ten major changes? APQP and PPAP 10
J AIAG PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Manual Fourth Edition Released APQP and PPAP 69
Kevin Mader Fourth Generation Management, Brian Joiner Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 7
P Static Electricity/Pacemaker - Standards for static electricity generation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
F Electrical Metrology (Source/Generation and Measurement) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
Ron Rompen Random data generation in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc US wind capacity surpasses hydro, overall generation to follow World News 0
A Technical File Maintenance - Old generation product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
I What are considered next generation ITSM tools? IT (Information Technology) Service Management 1
M Design History File (DHF) for New Generation of Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
x-files [Thermal powerplant] Why "Generation of electricity" is a special process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H CE Mark Technical File - Procedure for the generation of a "Technical File" ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
W Software for Data Collection, Generation of Worksheets and Form 1's EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Documented Procedure for Control of Nonconforming Product - Electricity Generation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Quality Policy Contents for Power Sector - Biomass Power Generation Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Hazard Review Checklist for Biomass Power Generation Plant wanted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
V Training Needs - Small workforce electricity generation/gas production Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
T 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance - Generation of Complete Copies of Records Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
W ASQ 2008 World Conference Focus: Generation Quality ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 19
F What is a generation II FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 9
M UID - Unique identification Labels - 2D Data Matrix - Next Generation Barcode Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Responsible for generation of documentation? Include line leaders or team leaders? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Marc Next generation of DVDs - Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD format After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
C ISO 9000:2020 by the Covers - Authoring a draft of the 'next generation' ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14