5 why's and fishbone diagrams

heiss

Starting to get Involved
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a junior role in quality so I sometimes attend root cause analysis meetings, I have noticed that my company's 'problem solving form' has the 5 whys before the Fishbone diagram. The senior quality person leading the meeting, started by explaining that we should do our 5 why's first and then when the root cause is found, we insert that root cause in the Fishbone diagram, e.g. if the root cause was machine didn't have poka yoke, that we would put it in the machine category of the Fishbone. That didn't seem right to me. Is that a good practice? or is the company using the tools wrong?

My understanding was after brainstorming possible causes of a problem by using a fishbone diagram, you then use 5 why's to dig deeper.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Yes it Is like You say, doing it initially, it leads you in just one direction and may have wrong results, while considering fishbone , the problem, is seen from several angles.
Hope I can help you.

poh.s.lim

Poh S. Lim (Minuteman Resources Pte Ltd)
Hello Heiss,

Logically speaking, your approach is correct.

In my opinion, brainstorming is a technique to draw out possibilities and it can and should be used in conjunction with the fishbone diagram. Possibilities are then populated on the fishbone diagram based on the 5 or 6 'fishbones' emanating from the main backbone i.e. Man, Method, Machine, Material, Maintenance etc. Based on a discussion and analysis of the problem, the most likely cause is then isolated and then you can proceed onto the 5 Whys which will drill further down into the root cause. Of course, as you drill down, it may result in a different 'root cause' reason which may be in a different area, and so you should be prepared to drill further down that route. Hope this makes sense to you and answers your question.

cbearden

Involved In Discussions
Doing the 5-whys FIRST sometimes help setup your fishbone with more relevant "Bones".....then you're on a more focused path to root cause.
Your Bones don't always have to be, "Man, Method, Machine, Material, Maintenance"

Rameshwar25

Quite Involved in Discussions
, started by explaining that we should do our 5 why's first and then when the root cause is found, we insert that root cause in the Fishbone diagram, e.
Incorrect method.
Correct method is to first arrest all possible causes through fishbone . Then Why-Why analysis with some of authenticated causes chosen from fish-bone diagram.
also consider 'Fault Tree Analalysis' to drill down root cases.

poh.s.lim

Poh S. Lim (Minuteman Resources Pte Ltd)
Doing the 5-whys FIRST sometimes help setup your fishbone with more relevant "Bones".....then you're on a more focused path to root cause.
Your Bones don't always have to be, "Man, Method, Machine, Material, Maintenance"
I agree, Cbearden. Sometimes 5 Whys may help turn up more relevant bones.... And yes, it does not always have to be Man, Method, Machine, Material, Maintenance. That would depend on the operation / industry type, so far example a retail business could have a different set. Appreciate your correcting my post. Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc The Quality Farce - ISO9000, QS9000, Six Sigma, TQM, Fishbone Diagrams, etc. Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 17
Q Problem Solving Techniques - 5 why or Fishbone diagram ? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
I How to reply to customer 8D Fishbone related to a corrosion issue? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 7
D Analyzing fishbone diagram Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
B What is 5M? Fishbone or Ishakawa diagram Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
N Quality System Ineffective - Fishbone Diagram the QMS System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 24
M Ishikawa Fishbone for Electronics Assembly Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Claes Gefvenberg Improvement tools - Best practices - Including Mind Maps vs. Fishbone Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 22
Q Isolation/Insulation Diagrams - IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R What is the granularity of your processes at Turtle Diagrams? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Reliability Block Diagrams (RBDs) helper for review. Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A Documented Processes as per IATF16949 - Requirements for Turtle Diagrams IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Which Symbols are used in Process flow diagrams? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Company Departmental Process Procedures and Flow Diagrams ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Why are Turtle Diagrams Used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J Names of Inputs and Outputs in Octopus Diagrams IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Process Maps vs. Activity Network Diagrams - Differences Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
Q Turtle Diagrams - Difference between "Linked Processes" and "Support Processes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K The Value of Turtle Diagrams in Process Auditing Internal Auditing 27
M Procedure & Work Instruction Flow Charting vs. Turtle Diagrams AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S Requirements for Sequence Diagrams & Process Flow Chart for each Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Block Diagrams and Parameter (P) Diagrams in DFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
A Where do TURTLE diagrams come from? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Z Crazy reasonings about turtle diagrams Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 27
A Guidance on using Turtle Diagrams for Internal Audits (main & sub processes) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
F Seven Quality Tools diagrams and charts software - Excel alternative? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Turtle Diagrams for Quoting & Sales (Order Processing) - Identifying Metrics Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 15
Q FMEA (Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and Control Plan Process Diagrams FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Manufacturing Process Audits (TS16949) - are Turtle diagrams really helpful? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Main Map and Major Process Maps or Turtle Diagrams Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
R Documenting Processes such as Receiving Inspection, and Auditing to Turtle Diagrams Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 20
A FMEAs using P-diagrams (Parameter Diagrams) FMEA and Control Plans 11
A ASME Symbols (process Flow Diagrams) - GM-1805 (KCDS) shows different symbols APQP and PPAP 3
Q Charts and Diagrams as Controlled Documents - Do all kinds have to be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Process Diagrams and Measurables - Do you HAVE to have a measurable? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q I'm looking for some visual quality diagrams ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Anyone know of a web site where I can find automobile parts diagrams? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
R Turtle Diagrams - I am looking for examples of Completed Turtle Diagrams Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 14
K Turtle Diagrams - Are Turtle Diagrams *Required* or not? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 13
S Process Analysis - What do process indicators mean in the turtle diagrams? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
T Turtle diagrams are no longer acceptable by ISO? IATF? IAOB? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 57
C Turtle Diagrams - Seeking Examples with actual processes such as Contract Review Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
L Use of Octupus and Turtle Diagrams in ISO 9000:2000 Internal Auditing Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 13
R COPs (Customer Oriented Processes), Turtle Diagrams and an Octopus or Two Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 24
CarolX Control Plans and Process Flow Diagrams: What is the Difference? FMEA and Control Plans 27
D QS-9000 Clause 4.2.3.2 - Special Characteristics on process flow diagrams APQP and PPAP 4
D Updating Flow Diagrams - Internal Critical Characteristic Identified FMEA and Control Plans 4
Marc Causes of Defects - Cause & Effect Diagrams Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
G Process Flow Diagrams - How detailed the PFD has to be QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 3