5 why's in 3 categories

Hello,

I've been asked to fill out a 5 why's form. Until now I've only seen the normal 5 whys but this time, the format is divided in 3 categories:
occurrence: use this path for why the specific non conformance occured
detection: use this path to investigate why the problem was not detected
systemic: use this path to investigate the systematic root cause
A 5 why's exercise must be performed for each of the categories for 1 problem. I have no problem with detection, but I'm struggling to find the difference between occurrence and systemic.
Could someone please help me with the correct definition and application for these two, and if possible with a quick example

Thanks!!

Jose

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
While 5w, is a simple practice to find root causes, it seems you want to go deeper in the analysis, why don't to use Ishikawa or 8d?
You may also ask who created this formats, what is the reason for the use of three categories?
Hope this helps

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hello,

I've been asked to fill out a 5 why's form. Until now I've only seen the normal 5 whys but this time, the format is divided in 3 categories:
A 5 why's exercise must be performed for each of the categories for 1 problem. I have no problem with detection, but I'm struggling to find the difference between occurrence and systemic.
Could someone please help me with the correct definition and application for these two, and if possible with a quick example

Thanks!!

Jose
Occurrence is an event. Systemic means things that could influence or enable the event, but perhaps not directly cause it.

Systemic = Man/material/machine/method/mother nature

Inadequate supplies/raw materials, improper instructions to the supplier/work instructions out of date/primary qualified personnel not in place/temperature or humidity fluctuations/equipment maintenance overdue because of a software glitch that closes a work order if an unrelated repair is done (I've seen that).

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In addition to Jen's comments:

Look for undocumented practices, non-standard practices, blanket practices with no exceptions, loopholes in policies/procedures, or lack of coverage.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
I've been out of automotive for a few years, but this was format GM used to require. If you're providing a corrective action for them, or a tier 1, that's likely why you're receiving the request.

The scenario works best for part quality issues: I shipped a load of widgets that had lefts mixed with rights.

Occurrence: The parts looked similar and operator packed them together.
Detection: It was not detected because there is no part verification after pack.
Systemic: Left and Right sides ran on the same line, one after the other, and there was no clean break when one tool came out and the next went in.

Hope this helps.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello,

Thanks!!

Jose
Unfortunately the criteria are mostly incoherent. Note the confusion between "systemic" and "systematic." They are two different concepts. I think what they're looking for is the direct local problem that caused the "occurrence" and possible problems with the "system" in general that allowed the problem(s) identified under "Occurrence." In other words, "Systemic" is asking you to take a broader view of systems in general.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Good day @joseGB;
The descriptions provided to you by @jen kirley are good and sound.
What you will find with the "5 WHY" (an extremely good and useful tool) is that many customers/organizations have their own local version, so the structure and terminology can differ significantly. The key is to understand the intent and approach of the 5 WHY and it is then fairly easy to "give unto ceasar" in regards to any specific formats that the various customers may have.
This is an area where I have 25 years of expertise, including Honda's "5p" version, which many consider to be the most productive and complex of the various takes on the 5 WHY.
Please feel free to direct message me and/or reach out to me.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Good day @joseGB;
The descriptions provided to you by @jen kirley are good and sound.
What you will find with the "5 WHY" (an extremely good and useful tool) is that many customers/organizations have their own local version, so the structure and terminology can differ significantly. The key is to understand the intent and approach of the 5 WHY and it is then fairly easy to "give unto ceasar" in regards to any specific formats that the various customers may have.
This is an area where I have 25 years of expertise, including Honda's "5p" version, which many consider to be the most productive and complex of the various takes on the 5 WHY.
Why not sharing here?

Last edited:

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Good day @ stijloor;
There are simply too many "customer" variations and too much necessary information to properly convey via this site. I will give this some thought and see if there is some "condensed" overview I can provide.
Be well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Internal Audits - Categories of non conformances Internal Auditing 12
D Accident reporting categories Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1
Ed Panek Can a single supplier fit two or more categories for risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Number of Distinct Categories" or NDC Calculation in MSA Studies Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
G Nonconformance Categories - QMS web app to support ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Veterinary Devices - CE Marking Categories CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
V Examples of investigation or root-cause categories - Mother Nature (Environment) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
B Help with NDC (Number of Distinct Categories) Please Six Sigma 2
P Where do training documents fit into the ISO 9001 categories? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Drop Down ("Standard") Categories for Corrective Actions & Root Cause Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
R Help defining Eyewear Customer Complaint Categories Customer Complaints 5
M MSA Manual asks for NDC higher than 5 - NDC (number of distinct categories) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Impossible to achieve NDC (Number of Distinct Categories) greater than 2 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 28
V Can Anyone Give a Simple Explanation on ndc (number of distinct categories)? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
I Employment Contract Review - Categories of International Mobile Workers Contract Review Process 1
C Gage R&R Results - ?Number of Distinct Categories = 1? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 24
G Hazard Identification Categories - ISO 14001 vs OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
Kales Veggie Ford RSMS (Restricted Substance Management System) 2008 released / GADSL categories RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 16
S What is NDC (Number of Distinct Categories)? MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
I Evaluation of Medical Device Suppliers - Categories when Initially Evaluated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
J What are ISO Certification Code(s)? IAF Accreditation Scope Categories ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
J Role of different categories of auditors in AS 9100 audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
H Gage R&R - Is there an upper bound for number of distict categories? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Auditing calibration - Different categories in the equipment status General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
M Distinct data categories - [PV / R&R] - May I know what is this equation used for? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
P Not enough distinctive categories in Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
L Categories for data collection - Designing a form for when errors occur Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
A Number of distinct categories (NDC) - Non ferrous metal industry Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Number of Distinct Data Categories - NDC - AIAG's MSA Manual 3rd edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Geoff Cotton Minitab GR&R (Gage R&R) - Minitab is giving different results for distinct categories Using Minitab Software 4
Y NDC (Number of Distinct Categories) - Long Gage R&R Study in MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 76
Marc List of Quality Records (Categories) Required by ISO 9001:2000 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
D Number of Distinct Data Categories:nDC: Where does the constant 1.41 come from? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Prioritized Action Plan - Start by identifying major scrap items/categories/costs? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5