510(k) 10993 Biocompability Testing

Hi!

I'm in the process of preparing a 510(k) for a wound irrigation solution. I've identified predicate devices and read through a lot of FDA guidance documents but there's one thing I currently cannot find an answer for.

Biocompability Testing according to ISO 10993 is required. The question is: Do I have to test my device along with the predicate device to show that they both have the same characteristics?

Take cytotoxicity testing according to 10993-5 for example. I want to test my device according to this standard to show that no cytotoxic effects are to be expected with the intended use. But do I have to also test the predicate device to show that the cytotoxic profiles (of new device and predicate) are similar? Or do I rely on the fact that the predicate obviously proved low / no cytotoxicity or otherwise it would not have passed it's own 510(k) process.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource
The question is: Do I have to test my device along with the predicate device to show that they both have the same characteristics?
From my experience, you don't need to do a cooperative biocompatibility study. You should subject your device to similar tests as with the predicate, and once you have demonstrated that no cytotoxic or whatever else are to be expected within the intended use - you are good.

Thanks for your quick reply! That makes sense. But I guess the devil is in the detail. With Cytotoxicity for example you rarely get a yes / no result. Most wound cleaners are cytoxic to some degree after longer time of application. How can I know the "level of cytotoxicity" of my predicate? The 510(k) summary will just say "it has been evaluated for cytotoxicity".

shimonv

The results of the predicate biocompatibility tests are proprietary. You need to do your own testing first and see if you get conclusive results or not. Your test lab should be able to help you rationalise the results.
If the results are not good you may need to change the raw material, but a comparative biocompatibility study is not a good option.

Shimon

Thanks! May I ask what your background of experience with 510(K) procedures is?
My test lab can for sure put the results into perspective. Yet they are not very familiar with the 510(k) requirements and they made the suggestion of comperative biocompability :)

So you're saying first of all my lab should evaluate biocompability according to 10993, then I prepare a 510(k) claiming sustantial equivalence and then (if eveything goes to plan)....i claim that no new questions of safety and effectiveness have been raised.

Right?

shimonv

So you're saying first of all my lab should evaluate biocompability according to 10993, then I prepare a 510(k) claiming sustantial equivalence and then (if eveything goes to plan)....i claim that no new questions of safety and effectiveness have been raised.

Right?
Right.
To answer your question - I've been involved in few 510(k) submissions.
If someone else in the cove has something to add - please do :)

Thanks, really appreciated.
This is the first 510(k) we're working on. We're based in Austria and it's at times difficult to navigate the FDA guidelines when you're based outside the US.

Watchcat

I don't normally recommend "fingers crossed" as a regulatory strategy. :p

I just happen to be in the middle of some ongoing conversations with other device RA professionals about FDA and biocompatibility. I will be happy to share what I've learned so far, but it would be very helpful if you could first provide me with some additional info:

How do you know biocompatibility testing is required?

Why are you asking us instead of FDA?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Material Change - New 10993 Testing and Submitting a New 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A 510(k) review timeline 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Impact on 510(k) to use an additional manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A 510(k) registration and listing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Aymaneh Traditional 510(k) Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Some doubts about traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y Expanding the indications for use for a 510(k) cleared device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
K 510(K) File eCopy Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
D Redacted 510(k)s - Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
K Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Completing Design Controls after 510(k) Clearance Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
P Predicate Device Information for 510(k) Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
K Reporting a Change of Contract Manufacturer for a 510(k) cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Is Human Factors testing mandatory for a 510(k) submission? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 16
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M CBE (Change Being Effected) 510(k) Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K 510(K) Submission (Traditional) for Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 15
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat Informational FDA Proposal to "Modernize" the 510(k) - 2019 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B 510(k) clearance claim on medical device product packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
shimonv Referring to previously submitted biocompatibility results in a new 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B Submit a 510(k) with a Predicate cleared but not Listed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K Change of Existing Medical Devices and 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational USFDA – Refuse to Accept Policy for 510(k)s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
K 510(k) expanding the indication for use for a cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
P 510(k) cleared, Rx only and home use 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
lilybef Number of lots required for stability testing of a Class II device in the 510(k) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
T Executive summary for Traditional 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
M FDA News US FDA – November 2018 510(k) Clearances Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0