510(k) Requirements for System vs. Replaceable Parts

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
I'm a bit confused as to the requirements of submitting a pre-market notification (510k) with respect to the "replaceable" (i.e. individually sold) parts of a medical device system.

Consider the following: A stimulator system (includes a stimulator unit, a charger, and some proprietary replaceable electrodes). The system has been 510(k) cleared.

Questions:
  1. The electrodes need to be replaced regularly, and are hence sold separately. Do these also need a 510(k), even though they've been approved as part of the system? I notice that there is a product code for electrodes (GXY), but these all seem to be for generic electrodes that don't specify being part of a particular system. Does it make a difference that the electrodes are exclusively designed for a particular system?
  2. In some cases users might lose the power-supply adaptor to the charger. Can this be sold separately as a replacement part?

Input/advice/links much appreciated.
MM.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

The best way to handle this issue is to discuss it in detail in the 510(k) submission.

If you don't do that, I don't know of any generally applicable guidance.

If you do do that, and then need to change the plan, I don't know if a Special submission might sometimes be needed.

We have a number of 510(k)ed products, and had more prior to the August 14, 2015 guidance, but none of them have replaceable parts.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I'm a bit confused as to the requirements of submitting a pre-market notification (510k) with respect to the "replaceable" (i.e. individually sold) parts of a medical device system.

Consider the following: A stimulator system (includes a stimulator unit, a charger, and some proprietary replaceable electrodes). The system has been 510(k) cleared.

Questions:
  1. The electrodes need to be replaced regularly, and are hence sold separately. Do these also need a 510(k), even though they've been approved as part of the system? I notice that there is a product code for electrodes (GXY), but these all seem to be for generic electrodes that don't specify being part of a particular system. Does it make a difference that the electrodes are exclusively designed for a particular system?
  2. In some cases users might lose the power-supply adaptor to the charger. Can this be sold separately as a replacement part?

Input/advice/links much appreciated.
MM.
My understanding is that the electrodes would require a 510(k). Here, it says:

manufacturers of device components are not required to submit a 510(k) unless such components are promoted for sale to an end user as replacement parts.
(Emphasis added)

The power supply adaptor would not need a 510(k) because it doesn't meet the medical device definition.

Mark Meer

My understanding is that the electrodes would require a 510(k).
Unless the regulations are devoid of reason, I would hope this would not be a hard-and-fast rule.

Basically, because there are 2 very different scenarios:

1. The electrodes are designed exclusively for a particular approved system, and are manufactured by the same company that holds the system 510(k).
- In this case, all safety and efficacy considerations with respect to the electrodes (biocompatibility, reliability, ...) would have been considered as part of the system 510(k). ...so there'd be no conceivable justification for the electrodes to have their own 510(k).

2. The electrodes are designed to be generic replaceable components for a range of compatible devices (that may be sold by different firms).
- In this case, there is no guarantee that the electrodes safety and efficacy was part of the compatible devices' 510(k), and hence it makes sense that the electrodes need their own 510(k) approval.

In the latter scenario a separate 510(k) is reasonable, but in the former case I don't see any reason for an additional 510(k) filing...

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Unless the regulations are devoid of reason, I would hope this would not be a hard-and-fast rule.

Basically, because there are 2 very different scenarios:

1. The electrodes are designed exclusively for a particular approved system, and are manufactured by the same company that holds the system 510(k).
- In this case, all safety and efficacy considerations with respect to the electrodes (biocompatibility, reliability, ...) would have been considered as part of the system 510(k). ...so there'd be no conceivable justification for the electrodes to have their own 510(k).

2. The electrodes are designed to be generic replaceable components for a range of compatible devices (that may be sold by different firms).
- In this case, there is no guarantee that the electrodes safety and efficacy was part of the compatible devices' 510(k), and hence it makes sense that the electrodes need their own 510(k) approval.

In the latter scenario a separate 510(k) is reasonable, but in the former case I don't see any reason for an additional 510(k) filing...
2 questions:

1. What prevents those electrodes from being used with other stimulators?

2. Have, in fact, "all safety and efficacy considerations with respect to the electrodes (biocompatibility, reliability, ...) been considered as part of the system 510(k)"? Have all the special controls / guidance specified for the appropriate stand-alone electrodes code (if any, I haven't checked) been satisfied?

Mark Meer

1. What prevents those electrodes from being used with other stimulators?
In my view it really doesn't matter due to the stated intended use and labeling. If the replacement electrodes state explicitly "for use only with X system", any use otherwise would be deliberate misuse.

While this can certainly be considered as a design risk-mitigation (such as, for example, a unique/proprietary connection method), the question you're asking is no different then asking "what prevents it from being deliberately misused"?

...and the risk of deliberate misuse is, for the most part, unpreventable.

2. Have, in fact, "all safety and efficacy considerations with respect to the electrodes (biocompatibility, reliability, ...) been considered as part of the system 510(k)"? Have all the special controls / guidance specified for the appropriate stand-alone electrodes code (if any, I haven't checked) been satisfied?
It turns out that no special controls exist (they've been discontinued).

However, regardless, the difference in intended use between the two cases is important. If the electrodes are intended for use exclusively with a particular device, then in-and-of-themselves (i.e. without the device) they serve no medical function, and hence it seems unreasonable to me to require a separate 510(k).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Additional Handset added to System - Additional 510(k) Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
D Documentation Requirements for Firmware in a 510(k) Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A FDA 510(k) Payment requirements for a Small Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
G 510(k) Pre-market approval Application Requirements - Effectiveness of the product Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
T 510(k) Revision Level History and Submission Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Class II Medical Device 510(k) Purchase - Documentation Transfer Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
D 510(k) Medical Device Classification and Regulatory Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
T 510(k) submission - Which name should I use in the submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
A 510(k) registration and listing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Aymaneh Traditional 510(k) Declaration of Conformity Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Should 510(k) Predicates be Actively Listed Devices? Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
A Several sections of traditional 510(K) have the same or similar requirement of content. US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
A Some doubts about traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Bench test report translation to English for 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Y Expanding the indications for use for a 510(k) cleared device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
T First 510(k) submission - Class II software as medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Submitting MR Compatibility Data for 510(k) Cleared Device Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
Kuldeep Singh 510(K) File eCopy Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 16
D Redacted 510(k)s - Example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
Kuldeep Singh Changing the Address in 510(K) Approved Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Completing Design Controls after 510(k) Clearance Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
P Predicate Device Information for 510(k) Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M 510(k) 10993 Biocompability Testing Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
K Reporting a Change of Contract Manufacturer for a 510(k) cleared device Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Kuldeep Singh Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
D Is Human Factors testing mandatory for a 510(k) submission? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 16
D Pre-Submission after 510(K) Submission? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M CBE (Change Being Effected) 510(k) Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Kuldeep Singh 510(K) Submission (Traditional) for Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 15
F Replacement Bone Screws - Traditional 510(k) or Special 510(k)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat Informational FDA Proposal to "Modernize" the 510(k) - 2019 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B 510(k) clearance claim on medical device product packaging Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
shimonv Referring to previously submitted biocompatibility results in a new 510(k) submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B Submit a 510(k) with a Predicate cleared but not Listed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
R 510(k) Biocompatibility vs Cleaning Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Kuldeep Singh Change of Existing Medical Devices and 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Has anyone here assessed the latest Abbreviated 510(K) guidance document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational USFDA – Refuse to Accept Policy for 510(k)s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1