510k with Contract Manufacturer

Hello! I have a regulatory question and I am finding mixed answers as I am reading through the available guidances and forums.

Current Situation:
Company A is the 510k owner and manufacturer of device 'X' which is provided solely to Company B for commerical distribution. Company A has complete ownership of the DHF, DMR, and completes all packaging, sterilization, and labeling with their information prior to shipping to Company B for distribution. Company B does nothing other than distribute the device and they are the sole distributors of device 'X'.

Now, Company A has asked Company B to submit a new 510k for device 'X'. Important to note this is NOT a transfer/sale of a 510k. Company A still wants to own their 510k for manufacturing other devices. The new 510k to be submitted by Company B will use Company A's 510k as SE. The new 510k will allow Company A to become the owner and liable for device 'X'. Company B will continue to use Company B as the contract manufacturer of device 'X' including packaging and sterilization. Labelling will be changed to Company A as the now owner of device 'X'.

My question is, as Company B, what do I need to include in the submission? I do know that we will be responsible for the DHF and DMR and Company A is happy to give all documentation to support the new 510k and transfer of liability. Company A will also update their registeration as a contract manufacturer and contract sterilizer. Other than that, just follow the traditional 510k outline and call it a day?

Thank you for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
Your question is little bit confusing to me. The following are my confusions,
The new 510k will allow Company A to become the owner and liable for device 'X'
Isn't the Company A already the owner of the 510k as well as the device? As you have said here
Company A is the 510k owner and manufacturer of device 'X
Company B will continue to use Company B as the contract manufacturer of device 'X'
How can you use your own company as the contract manufacturer of the device that you distribute?

Company A still wants to own their 510k for manufacturing other devices.
What do you mean by "manufacturing other devices'? Do you mean the same device 'x' to be distributed by other companies! Or they want to manufacture other models of the same device 'X'! Or they want to manufacture totally different devices based on the existing 510(k)! If second or third case is true then I doubt there is a big misunderstanding from Company A regarding how the 510(k)s are to be used.

Overall (with all the confusions which I assume as typo from your side) what I understood is that, Company A wants you to be liable for the device 'X' and wants 'Company B' to be the owner of a new 510(k) for the said device. If this is the case and nothing has been changed in the device, packaging, sterilization etc. then I guess you just simply follow the traditional 510(k) content based on FDA guidance. In your case, while preparing the summaries, I guess you should be able to refer the content of the former 510(k) since you haven't done anything new (but I am not sure about it).

To address your questions, Company A's 510k is broad allowing for multiple SKUs. Device X is simply one of the SKUs Company A manufactures within the 510k clearance and is distributed exclusively by Company B. Company A wants to continue to hold their 510k in order to manufacture the other SKUs (aka devices Y, Z) and Company B will be liable and own a 510k exclusively for device X. Yes, typo in that Company B will continue to use Company A as the contract manufacturer of device 'X' after 510k clearance.

I agree with your assessment that since nothing changed to the device in terms of manufacturing, packaging, or sterilization, I should follow the traditional 510k FDA guidance. Thank you for your response and reassurance!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Contract Manufacturer 510K Starting Point 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
N Special Contract Manufacturing or 510k Licensing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Including a class 1 camera in the 510k application of class 2 therapeutic technology? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 18
N Traditional 510K Submission-Financial Certification or Disclosure Statement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
P Letter to file or special 510k or traditional 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Y 510k requirement for bringing in gloves Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
K 510K new manufacturer but same components Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
S Two or more predicates suitable? 510K submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S 510k: What to include if your own device is the predicate US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
L 510K - Trade Name Change 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
R Countries that accept 510k approvals - Class II nonsterile medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Timing of 510k submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
S Examples of software changes that required a 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Ronen E Can anyone please explain this? (510k submission requirement) Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
H New 510K VS Documents about design change. Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
P Medical Device not on commercial distribution but installed in the establishment. 510k? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
V Presubmission FDA for 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A How to deal with changed shared components in 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N Can we take a part from 510k cleared medical device and use it in class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
D Contents of a 510k Q submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Ed Panek Other company wants to use our FDA 510K bundled with their product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L 510k exemption process - Do you still need to submit technical dossier? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S IEC 62133 - CB Scheme Required by FDA 510k Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Clarity on requirements for a 510k exempt Class I device - Suture removal kit US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
T Is 510k Anesthesia group particularly picky/difficult to work with during 510k? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J 510k - Product shelf life validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
K 510K statement Questions 21 CFR 807.93 - Discontinued or never released for sale US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
J Applying for 510K - What is a significant process change and what is not US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
K 510K Interactive Review 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I Celsius and Fahrenheit in 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R FDA 510K - Does the FDA accept the testing report from other countries? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
I 510k Performance Testing Studies (Raw Data) - What does the FDA expect 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Is a different 510k is required for each (stand alone) software configurations? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
K ISO 10993 Requirements For 510k - Substantial Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
P Two separate 510k submissions for one device from the same company Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
I Special 510k Imported Legacy Blogs 0
K 510k "Premarket" Submission for Existing Class II Software Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
N Is a new 510K required for change of manufacturing location for an existing device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q 510k Submission for a New Medical Device Product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
W New 510k required for a material change? Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
M What if information in predicate 510k is obviously wrong? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5