5S Audit - Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, Shitsuke

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Becoming Part of the Company Culture

RCBeyette said:
...over time it is our belief that they will start to keep their work stations neater and more in line with the 5S programme in order to avoid the sudden panic cleaning. We are already seeing this.
I typically estimate 1 to 2 years for a 'philosophy' to become part of the culture of a company.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Marc said:
I typically estimate 1 to 2 years for a 'philosophy' to become part of the culture of a company.

I'd agree. I mean while we are seeing some improvements/adherence to the 5S initiative, there is still a lot that needs to be done and many "bad habits" that need to be broken.

More often than not, we do something the way we used to and then catch ourselves and modify to the new way...that's what I've observed here anyway in my fishbowl of an ivory tower (i.e., windows that overlook the maintenance and set-up areas).

V

vater unser

RC,
If the 5S audit is regularly scheduled, wouldn't this be just an opportunity for a quick tidy up before the scheduled audit takes place to save face at each audited location?I've seen this happen a lot at my location.
I know I sound kinda cynical yet, 5S has to be gradually infused into an organization in such a way that allows the 5S philosophy to be part of the everyday culture.
As part of my visual says, Human nature has a tendency to resist change.
We so often return to the status quo when we attempt an improvement or change to a function or process.
Wallace.

Hi,
We should make pre Random Audits,By auditing without telling the staffs,,,
then inform them the mistakes and give the deadline to them to change the face of the office or site,,,

Any Opinion?

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
Hi,
We should make pre Random Audits,By auditing without telling the staffs,,,
then inform them the mistakes and give the deadline to them to change the face of the office or site,,,

Any Opinion?

My opinion is that if you have enough people to spend time doing pre-audit audits, randomly, you probably have too many people and are wasting money that could be increasing the bottom line for stockholders, and stakeholders:2cents:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Hi,
We should make pre Random Audits, by auditing without telling the staffs,,,

Any Opinion?

I agree with SteelMaiden's response. In addition, you're not going to make a lot of friends when you conduct "surprise" 5-S or whatever audits. An audit should always be focused on helping things improve, not to "punish" people. An audit should never be "punitive."

Stijloor.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Becoming unpopular at work may result in people respecting your opinons and suggestions less. That being said, I disagree with the idea of an audit where the area is unaware of its occurence. Why?
  1. Safety - The area personnel are responsible for YOUR safety. If they are unaware that you are out there, they will be unable to inform you of any special situations that you should be conscious of.
  2. Resources - The area personnel have their daily routine to adhere to. There are enough surprises in their day which they must address; having to suddenly allocate people to a 5S audit will not be appreciated by the staff.
  3. Culture - Why even do an audit? (yes, I'm being a little sarcastic here) If your organization has truly adopted the concept of 5S, can the people not assess themselves as part of their daily routine management?
  4. Value-added - No warning + No guides = No discussion. Part of an assessment of an area should be with the staff to find out their opinions on how things are working. It is also to praise their successes and highlight areas for opportunity. To simply document such items loses the effectiveness.

V

vater unser

I agree with SteelMaiden's response. In addition, you're not going to make a lot of friends when you conduct "surprise" 5-S or whatever audits. An audit should always be focused on helping things improve, not to "punish" people. An audit should never be "punitive."

Stijloor.

so,,what should i do,,,if i inform them previously,,the staffs will make every thing tidy and it will not be usefull,,,cuz we forced them to do it!!

5s is a way to train staff to be 5S...Automaticly,,,not by force...

we dont want to punish!! we make pre-audits to show them thair failurs,,,thair weak points,,,to tell them these are yr problems,,if you solve them,,everything will goes better.

Other opinion?

V

vater unser

How can i be a good 5s auditor?

What backgrounds,tallents,informations i should gain?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
So,,what should I do,,,if I inform them previously,,the staffs will make every thing tidy and it will not be usefull,,,cuz we forced them to do it!!

If the 5-S program is adhered to only because it is subject to regular audits, then there's something wrong with the level of commitment. The program will not sustain itself (the last "S"). That is a Top management responsibility.

5s is a way to train staff to be 5S...Automaticly,,,not by force...

I agree! :agree1:

We don't want to punish!! We make pre-audits to show them their failures,,,their weak points,,,to tell them these are your problems,,if you solve them,,everything will goes better.

What would be the purpose of "pre-audits" if you are conducting regular audits? Am I missing something?

Other opinion?

Let's see what our Fellow Covers have to say.

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
How can I be a good 5s auditor?

What backgrounds, talents,informations I should gain?

This may be a start.....

From ISO 19011:

7.2 Personal attributes

Auditors should possess personal attributes to enable them to act in accordance with the principles of auditing described in clause 4.

An auditor should be:
  • a) ethical, i.e. fair, truthful, sincere, honest and discreet;
  • b) open minded, i.e. willing to consider alternative ideas or points of view;
  • c) diplomatic, i.e. tactful in dealing with people;
  • d) observant, i.e. actively aware of physical surroundings and activities;
  • e) perceptive, i.e. instinctively aware of and able to understand situations;
  • f) versatile, i.e. adjusts readily to different situations;
  • g) tenacious, i.e. persistent, focused on achieving objectives;
  • h) decisive, i.e. reaches timely conclusions based on logical reasoning and analysis; and
  • i) self-reliant, i.e. acts and functions independently while interacting effectively with others.

Top Bottom