SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

5S Coordinator (Long-winded) Job Title

5SThatArea

Hello everyone,

I have been a long time reader through college but now that I have finally entered the field this is my first time posting.

I am working for a manufacturing company who recently created the position of "5S coordinator". STOP Don't shoot me! lol, just kidding.

I have scoured the internet looking for any type of information or discussions from people holding this position or job title. From what I've gathered, this title typically falls as another "hat" of responsibility of an IE or QAE or is non-existent all together.

Though this is the start to my manufacturing experience, I come from a retail background with 8 years of supervisor and management experience before graduating from college. Through school as an IET major and TM minor, I implemented 5S throughout the retail environment I worked while in college. (Including other lean tools as well) Not knowing exactly the position I would hold coming out of school, it seems to have lined up nicely with where I am now. (As far as how to deal with resistance, upper and mid management commitment, buy-in etc..)

* I apologize for the length as this is a multi-facet question....:truce:

In the simplest description, the facility for which I hold the position now is far below "sea-level" as it relates to 5S all together. As-in general housekeeping is a daily struggle. Base-level staffing I'm guessing is around 350-400.

I view it as a challenge as well as a lot of "low-hanging fruit" that can easily be rectified and bring about some momentum to a 5S program all together. Another bullet that may put the environment into perspective is that a standard work roll-out just began 6 months ago with no real tangible 5S in place. Again, I view all of this as a challenge and am in no way trying to "beat-up" on the facility as my knowledge of their challenges in the past is very very limited. The great news is that there is an obvious desire for continuous improvement efforts.

Now for the meat-and-potatoes of what I am asking. As the 5S coordinator I report directly to the IE who is considered the 5S manager along-side various other responsibilities. Though these titles are in place, direction has been limited to "this area, then that area." :magic:

I view it as an outstanding opportunity to prove the effectiveness of 5S and my value to the company, but am starting to realize a bigger picture as it relates to my role. As many of you surely know, rolling 5S out in an area is not a one man job. It takes dedicated time and resources to evolve and sustain. Though in this position it has become clear that I am the only dedicated resource. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And so the ever elusive question of salary expectations emerges from my end. I took a low hourly offer into the position as many know it is so difficult to engage in a field with zero experience. So I am coming up on my initial 3 month review where I imagine long-term salary negotiations will be a part. I need some help in determining what is fair. With limited information available, I assume this position is a recent addition in the field created with the realization that the most difficult part of 5S is to sustain the efforts. I understand with my limited experience I should expect below average. The problem is, I cannot find the average. I have heard stories from other facilities where the position I hold is a salaried position with dedicated resources reporting to them. With proper business etiquette foresight I neglect to ask about their compensation.

So far I have rolled out 5S to sustain in a 3 process work cell and in doing so completed a workstation overhaul that resulted in a complete redesign. Designed entirely around lean concepts, ergonomic principles, and adaptable to single piece flow in the future, I was responsible for it's creation entirely; hence absorbing a majority of my time so far. (Though I did get a fabricator for the welding :agree1:) Also, I am near completion on the redesign of another process layout.
(*time also devoted to IE project support as well).

I am sure this sounds like the typical college pup sob story, but I am extremely thankful to have work.:nopity: I just want to be properly prepared going into my evaluation as to what is realistic from an industry standpoint.

Any help, opinions, or flaming much appreciated!

If I have left out any variables for consideration please let me know.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: 5S Coordinator (Long-winded)

As with anything business-related, commitment from top management to 5S or any other initiative is a must-have. If you are the only dedicated resource, then this needs to change right away or your 5S program may never leave the ground.

That being said, I have read somewhere (maybe in a Six Sigma primer) that most companies trying to implement a 5S program never really get past the first 3 S's. It is a huge undertaking, and it needs to start from the top.

I do have one piece of advice: do not attack 5S with full force. A pilot run, starting in one area, will usually give you an indicator if things are headed in the right direction.

Use the tools at you disposal to analyze and see if this indicator is a good one. If not, you may just end up with a glorified housekeeping program.

Hope I've helped...:rolleyes:
Brian

A

Al Dyer

Welcome 5SThatArea,

You have come to the right place to either get an answer or where to get an answer.

It sounds like to have a good start. Start small to keep the ball rolling and make sure that area doesn't backslide. Get those people at the station involved and taking pride in there area. As you move on you might want to have a list of all areas that will be involved in 5S and start to prioritize, hopefully having some target dates as goals. I think you will find that your biggest help comes from the people that directly benefit from the organized work area, the workers! Do you hav access to a good project management software package?

Again, Welcome

Al...

5SThatArea

Thank you for replying. I currently use a gannt chart spreadsheet to manage my projects. Where I run into the most issues is finding resources for the actionable steps and deliverables beyond myself.

As well as a ball park salary requirement to negotiate at my upcoming 90 day review?

5SThatArea

Thanks for the link. Definitely got me started.

Does anyone work for a company that has an assigned 5S coordinator?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thanks for the link. Definitely got me started.

Does anyone work for a company that has an assigned 5S coordinator?
Gaining the confidence of the working people, Training and making visible changes must be your key concentration elements.
The rest comes from your knowledge and skill on 5S implementation, that always has a new learning from every project handled.
Be sure to ensure that 5S is not made to look like your baby. Make sure the operators are the owners and they imbibe it into their working system.
Planned actions, Patience, and top management support is a must and I hope you have it. Even if you are not being reviewed timely, make it a point to send a brief progress report and resource requirement periodically.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Remote QMS Coordinator Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
K What is IATF equivalent of "ISO Coordinator" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M ISO 9001 Coordinator/Auditor Career Career and Occupation Discussions 5
Q What is the salary range per hour for a Quality Management System Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
6 SHEQ/Quality Systems Coordinator Balanced Scorecard Template wanted Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
L Job description for an ISO 14001 Coordinator/Administrative Assistant Career and Occupation Discussions 3
J New to QMS Coordinator Position... Am I in over my head? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 16
L Definition MRR Coordinator - What does "MRR" mean? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 17
D What are ISO 9001 Coordinator Responsibilities? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Anerol C What activities are you doing daily as QMS Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
J Quality Systems Coordinator vs. Management Representatve - Responsibilities and Roles ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
C Calibration Frequency and training a new calibration coordinator IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
P Roles and Responsibilities of EMS Coordinator plus more Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
N From PPAP Virgin to PPAP Coordinator - Suggestions on jump-starting. APQP and PPAP 21
J ISO 14001 Rookie - Paramedic as Acting EHS Coordinator needing help. ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 31
S Document Control Project - How to be an effective document control coordinator Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
A Salary Range for a TS 16949 Coordinator? Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A Time Involed for QS Coordinator QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 7
S QS-9000 Coordinator - What is the average salary I should expect? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Packaging Long Parts Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M Old Master Schedules - How Long to Keep? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W How long do you keep information about equipment no longer used? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S How long does it take to register a product with MHRA? UK Medical Device Regulations 8
Watchcat How long is this going to take? (UK & ventilators) Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
P Images of Product for Automated Process - How long to keep? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
1 How to measure straightness on a HEX Long Bar Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
A PFMEA - How long should the recommended actions remain in the recommended actions column? APQP and PPAP 3
M FDA News Statement from USFDA on steps to strengthen the long-term safety oversight of the Essure device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Class I medical device and Category III PPE - Long length gloves EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T How long will ISO 9001:2015 Recertification Take? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Tracking savings - Long term projects and the day to day decisions Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
L Please help my division with quality [long] Service Industry Specific Topics 1
J How long should I have to correct an audit finding? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 7
A How to systemically improve product quality in short-term and long-term basis? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
B Control of Duplicate Documents - Limited Scope (long) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Proud Liberal How long does your company take to close an 8D on average? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
D Long length measurement of 18" up to 100" with an accuracy of .005 min General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Long time for NB to review to change the classification of one of our products! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Is calibration from long ago still valid on never used pipettes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S How long should it take to get new TS 16949 certificate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M How long should AS9100 Certificate issuance take? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Marc A silk casing enables long-lasting, implantable Wi-Fi medical devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
L Medical Device New Product Design & Development- How long does this process take you? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1