5S Management Presentation Content Recommendation needed

• Thread starter kyliemaem - 2008
  • Start date
K

kyliemaem - 2008

Hello all,

How about I start with a little background information first.

Same company, different site + my Manger new to site/company
Sound understanding of 5s,
Limited knowledge of new site,
Site has been through 5s process prior but failed, there are small wins through the factory,
Have developed 5s policy, mission and objectives,
Have a 5s expert team (hopefully), CI, Maintenance, Production Manager, OH&S, Quality, area champion, area manager.

Management have a reasonable understanding of 5s

I have been asked to implement a new 5s program (program- bad choice of word but will use for this post) and present the hows, whys etc to upper management and have so far included the following,

5s Policy, mission and objectives,
The team,
The showcase area and why I have choosen it,
Launch campaign,
Training program,

What else should I be including in this presentation?

I appreciate any comments.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Help! 5s Management Presentation

Hello kyliemaem,

Assume that the managers have limited time and little interest. So, your challenge will be to immediately gain their attention; the "hook" so to speak.
Make the presentation exciting and hard-hitting....

You may want to start with a very brief outline about what you are going to cover. Continue with a series of good pictures of areas in need of 5-S, and what this situation is costing the company. Managers understand money. Vision, mission, etc., is great, but that will not capture management's interest. They have heard it all before and will get bored real quick. Talk about the situation, money impact (loss), possible solution and savings.

Once you get their attention and possible commitment, come back with a more detailed plan of "attack." Your first order of business is to get their buy in.

After your initial presentation, you may want to go talk to managers individually; especially those managers that may need your help. A "lobbying" effort so to speak.

Don't fall in the trap of going after waste baskets, staplers, and marked chairs. That is silly and makes 5-S look ridiculous. Go after the stuff that really makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

W

wmarhel

I would include the benefit to improved safety: warning signs, less clutter, etc.

I would also be sure to make some comments that 5S is not just about cleaning, which it seems to end up being in many places, is a way to visually manage an area.

Wayne

K

kyliemaem - 2008

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, you are right. Short, sharp and sweet!

I think I was trying to add to much detail into the presentation.

I will upload presentation for all to view when completed.

P

Pudge 72

I tend to really get drawn in to those presentations about 5S that show a complete dungeon with litter scattered all over (whether it be literally or just the strewn about components of whatever operation is being focused on) and the "after" when the area gets cleaned up & lit up and organized. As an owner, I can't believe that after being shown the results both in aesthetic appearance and efficiency improvement, you wouldn't want this for your company, area, department etc.
I think that there are enough of these examples already on the Web to incorporate into a presentation that you shouldn't have a problem finding some - believe me, they are powerful & have tremendous impact on the activities that you want to undertake based on the exercises that we have done at my facility.

R

ramvaidhya - 2009

Hello kyliemaem,

Since the 5S already happened, and it is about the question of sustenance.

You can include topics like,
1. Present awareness level , you can fix suitable scale?
2. What not worked & why?

Then suitably alter requirements and reapply for better success rate.

Wishes,
Ram Vaidhya

S

sauhiew

In my opinion, 5S is one of the initial tool to promote cultural change for discipline and sustaining gains. 5S may not directly contribute to any significant or breakthrough gain, but it's an important building blocks to continuous improvement environment. It's like a visual metric to management. If the site cannot even keep up with 5S, it's a long road ahead to many other continuous improvement initiatives. Therefore, I suggest 5S can be a visual metric tool.

W

wmarhel

Sauhiew summed it up very nicely. :) Key words in BOLD.

In my opinion, 5S is one of the initial tool to promote cultural change for discipline and sustaining gains. 5S may not directly contribute to any significant or breakthrough gain, but it's an important building blocks to continuous improvement environment. It's like a visual metric to management. If the site cannot even keep up with 5S, it's a long road ahead to many other continuous improvement initiatives. Therefore, I suggest 5S can be a visual metric tool.

Something to think about is that the 3P process (Product Preparation Process or Pre-Production Planning) would not have been introduced until a company was well into their Lean transformation. It requires a different mindset to be taken and a good dose of discipline. It probably isn't any wonder why this is the least written about or published topic in the whole Toyota Production System. It is also perhaps the most powerful in its ability to set one's self apart from the competition.

Wayne

K

kyliemaem - 2008

Ramuaidhya,

Understanding and explaining why it didn't work last time and how it will now should be one of the first things I discuss I guess.

L

longjizh

5S is very straightforward and self-explanatory. Benchmarking your status quo to some world class workshops will make your management team more impressed. 5S helps a lot improve your efficiency and gain more satisfaction from your customers.

Aden Zhang

Top Bottom