SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

5S Presentation for Grade School Students Grades 3 to 8

M

Mugur

Hello There,

I am a new member of this site; I hope my thread finds you all well! :)

I am in search for a 20-30 min 5S presentation customized to accommodate grade school students - grades 3 to 8 -. I have been volunteering with schools for many years doing various types of projects with students that are highly motivated not only in their school work but also extra curriculum activities. I usually come up with suggestions and then we apply them in different settings. We did everything from building benches for school to participate in LEGO robot competitions and from various science experiments and visits to Science Museums to making our own ice-cream.

My next goal is to introduce them to Lean - particularly 5S - in a way they can relate to. I have a lot of material from my many years in the field. However, knowing what makes the young students to be interested in participating, the examples and the overall presentation structure used in the industry are not going to be successful.

If you have anything in this direction I would appreciate it. Even if only pictures from the students' world - e.g. school, home, playrooms etc. - would do it as then I can build the presentation based on them. The industrial and office examples I have would not be of interest to them.

Thank you in advance for answering to my call. :agree:I am looking forward to the forums on this site! :bigwave:

Cheers,

George

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Hello There,

I am a new member of this site; I hope my thread finds you all well! :)

I am in search for a 20-30 min 5S presentation customized to accommodate grade school students - grades 3 to 8 -. I have been volunteering with schools for many years doing various types of projects with students that are highly motivated not only in their school work but also extra curriculum activities. I usually come up with suggestions and then we apply them in different settings. We did everything from building benches for school to participate in LEGO robot competitions and from various science experiments and visits to Science Museums to making our own ice-cream.

My next goal is to introduce them to Lean - particularly 5S - in a way they can relate to. I have a lot of material from my many years in the field. However, knowing what makes the young students to be interested in participating, the examples and the overall presentation structure used in the industry are not going to be successful.

If you have anything in this direction I would appreciate it. Even if only pictures from the students' world - e.g. school, home, playrooms etc. - would do it as then I can build the presentation based on them. The industrial and office examples I have would not be of interest to them.

Thank you in advance for answering to my call. :agree:I am looking forward to the forums on this site! :bigwave:

Cheers,

George
Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:
I doubt that you're going to find presentations on 5S that don't involve some sort of industrial or business application, and are suitable for elementary-school kids. The first idea that comes to my mind is using a classroom as an example. It shouldn't be too difficult to look at a primary school classroom and think of ways to demonstrate 5S.
BTW, I think it's a good thing to introduce basic concepts like to kids in school, but you should also help them to understand application outside of the classroom, through use of industrial applications.

M

Mugur

Thank you for the suggestion. I do plan on doing a small LEGO game and show them what is 5S all about. My plan was to introduce it for 15-20 minutes in a more formal way, play the game and then do a jeopardy or similar for both, fun and review of what we learned.

Thank you again! :thanx:

g

R

RadhaKrishna Sunkara

I really admire your idea of implementing 5S in schools. Although I have not come across and presentations for kids, but it’s a good idea to impart education to Kids. I was always interested in teaching kids.

Some Examples that I can think of are:

Seiri : Books, Back packs, Closets in School and at Home. Teaching them how to divide necessary from unnecessary ones

Seiton : A place for everything. Kids need to learn “Keep things in designated place". You can create examples at school and also create examples for Home

Seisou, Seiketsu : Train kids in Cleanliness. You can also create assignments for Fun with Check sheets, ranking and add Small incentives to encourage Kids. This can be a School Activity where each class can be ranked for Seisou.

Shitsuke : Kids can be given activities to create procedures, identify and summarize things based on above 3'S

You can also assign teams to do 5S Activities in School or create summer activities to encourage Discipline among school kids.

M

Mugur

Thank you for the hints RadhaKrishna. I will have a session with grade school student in a couple of weeks. I will use a story that I came up w/ that takes them through the steps of learning what 5S is all about. I also had my daughter helping me w/ pictures of a messy room - it wasn't difficult...! - and then the progress she made doing - partially though - the first 3Ss. She is 8 yrs old so can't ask a lot more from the standardization side without making her not enjoying the stuff anymore. The good part is that the room - although not as good as just before the activities - it is maintained at a decent level, just by eliminating a lot of unused or obsolete stuff.

Anyway, I have two websites that you might want to take a look. If you are interested in Lean and also school level stuff you might find them useful.

If you shoot me an e-mail in a couple of weeks, I will give you more info after I actually meet the students.

Cheers,

Mugur

D

DrM2u

I have found a related article in the ASQ's Quality Progress magazine from May 2007. The article is titled "5S for Families" by Davorka Filipusic. I am not sure if it is copyrighted, so I hesitate to post a copy of the article here. However, you can send an e-mail to [email protected] and see if they can give you a copy of the article. It is very interesting and directly related to what you're doing. It even has a flow chart for 5S. Good luck and :thanks: for the great work that you're doing!

M

Mugur

Hello DrM2U and thank you for the hint! I have been an ASQ member for many years and I have the issue you are referring to. It is definitely interesting at a college level. I have taught adults for many years in Lean Six Sigma as now I teach at university. However, the grade school kids need to have such a concept presented quite different then college students would.

I will combine all I learned from answers like yours and come up w/ hopefully something interesting for 10 years olds!

Thank you again,

George

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Looking for a Presentation on Design for Excellence (DfX) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Informational TGA presentation: Cybersecurity for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: Digital Devices Webinar 3, 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News July 2019 AAQG/RMC CB Auditor Workshop - Presentation Materials AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Informational Medtech Europe presentation – – Industry Perspective on the Implementation Status of the MDR/IVDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA presentation: How the TGA regulates software, 7 March 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
D Looking for PowerPoint presentation for ISO 17025:2017 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q ISO 19011 - Looking for a Presentation Material Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Lack of Awareness in ISO 9001 - Share a Presentation for Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Global Medical Device Quality Compliance Overview Presentation - Help Wanted Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C Visual Presentation of Supplier Score - .xls Spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
M Presentation displays for malls, etc. for exhibition to show products Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
K Simple ISO 9001:2015 Overview Presentation wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
D PowerPoint Presentation Summarizing ISO90001:2015 Changes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
Marc 15 minute Top Management presentation on ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
N Suggestions for Management Review Presentation Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
M Presentation Material for New Project Kick Off Meeting Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Presentation for tracking Quality Objectives across sites Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
P Ergonomics .ppt presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Food Hygiene Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
8 New Job Presentation on my findings and plans for future Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
P Food Contact Surfaces presentation # 2 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Food Contact Surfaces Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
P Food Safety & Technology presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Manix Supplier Control and Development Presentation for a Job Interview - Input Requested Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
L ISO 14644 Class 7 Clean Room Requirements Training Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
P Basic Food Hygiene Presentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
D Ballot Presentation for AS 9101E - January 2013 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
A GMP (good manufacturing practices) presentation materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Presentation Invitation on ISO13485 from the Distribution Side ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C High level presentation about QMS (3-4 slides) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
G Presentation on "Preparing" a Quality Manual wanted - ppt AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5
Q Management Review Presentation Duration by each Presenter Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
F Quality Awareness Sessions - Seeking Ideas and Presentation Material Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Presentation on Training and Development Strategy on Skill Crisis wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
E First Day Basic Quality Training Powerpoint Presentation or other materials wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A Control of Training Presentation Content Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
7 Data Analysis of Tensile Strength Test - Graphical Presentation of Results Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S SPC Presentation and Explanation Training Materials for Beginners Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
C Quality Awareness Presentation Needs Critique Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
N Can anyone help me with my Centralized Document Control Presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
G Searching for Auditor Competence and Training .ppt presentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Integrating ISO 22000 and ISO 9001 - Food Safety Presentation for ISO Conference Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
D AS 9100 Rev C "10 Minutes" Presentation to Non-Users needed AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9