6.4 Work Environment - What does ISO 9001:2000 say about worker safety?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 07:07:03 -0600
Subject: Re: What does ISO 9001:2000 say about worker safety? /Pfrang/Palmes

OK, I'll take this one.... I'd like to make clear that OSHA is not a part of the new ISO 9001:2000 standard. What is involved that others may have originally construed as "OSHA-like" is probably contained in Sections 6.3, Facilities and 6.4 Work Environment.

Section 6.3 Facilities
"The organization shall identify, provide and maintain the facilities it needs to achieve the conformity of product, including:
a) workspace and associated facilities
b) equipment, hardware and software
c) supporting services

Section 6.4 Work Environment
"The organization shall identify and manage the human and physical factors of the work environment needed to achieve conformity of product."

This wording is far better than earlier attempts which were much broader and unauditable. (Imagine trying to audit "work ethics and ambient working conditions" which appeared in an earlier draft of Section 6.4)

The current revision ties workers and work environment to the fulfillment of product conformity rather than conformance to OSHA or other regulatory guidelines.

Hope this helps!

Paul Palmes

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 28 February 2000).]

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 07:11:17 -0600
Subject: Re: Q: What does ISO 9001:2000 say about worker safety? /Pfrang/Whitcomb

Doug: You asked the following question:

"One of my clients recently attended a seminar about OSHA at which a presenter claimed that ISO 9001:2000 would include OSHA (worker safety) requirements. Since I'm sure the OSHA part isn't true, do any of you know the real story?"

I have been reading the new ISO 9000-2000 DIS. I might point out the DIS includes paragraph 6.4 Work Environment which could be cited as being inclusive of worker safety, which someone might say, by reference, includes OSHA regulations.

Another interpretation of this could come from Section 5, 5.1(a): "communicating to the organization the importance of meeting customer as well as regulatory and legal requirements" If a company considers its employees as internal customers, then a point could be made that OSHA regulations would be covered by ISO. I think the wording of this sentence is a tad open in that it says:"meeting customer AS WELL AS", which to me reads in addition to, and OSHA being regulatory, is covered under this sentence.

Something to think about, for sure.

Doug, and all: I forgot to include in my response that ISO/DIS 9004 in section 6.4 Work environment discusses the very issue you asked about, and gives many different examples of the human and physical factors of the work environment.

Gary

A

Alan Cotterell

Compliance with regulatory requirements such as those laid down by OSHA, should be well covered by management system requirements, within an organisation. A minimalist approach to safety will never produce the desired results.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K What liability does the QA Manager/Management Rep hold? (US FDA environment) Career and Occupation Discussions 4
S Does 7.4 apply to products or services meant for Environment or OHS management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Does "Environment" include air, water, land...etc. within the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
D How does ISO9001 fit into a Recruitment Consultancy environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
V How does a TQM environment relate to a 5 stars hotel - Hotel Management Service Industry Specific Topics 2
A IEC 60601 11.2.2.1 Risk of Fire in an Oxygen Rich Environment, Source of Ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D Controlled Environment requirements Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
K What is mean by Oxygen Rich Environment as per the IEC 60601-1 clause no 11.2.2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Hi friends, can anyone show me an example of a procedure for ISO 13485 6.4.1 Work Environment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P IEC 60601 11.2.2 - Oxygen Rich Environment sources of ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Practical ideas for information labelling in healthcare environment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
I CAP/CLIA Environment - Part 11 Compliance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
G Infrastructure and Environment for the operation of processes (ISO 9001 7.1.3 & 7.1.4) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Informational DITTA White Paper on Cybersecurity: Best Practices in the Medical Technology Manufacturing Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Oxygen enriched environment applicability - Operating table used in general surgeries in hospital IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
I Documents for Manufacturing Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
L PC in patient environment - BF applied part that uses USB to connect to PC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
M AS9100d (section 7.1.3) example of compliance in machine shop environment. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
G ISO 17025 - Requirement to Monitor Environment ISO 17025 related Discussions 10
T Exxon - Environment Information - Climate Change - Wait and see (June 2017) Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
E Rich O2 Environment Testing Laboratories (Clause 11.2.2 ME EQUIPMENT and ME SYSTEMS) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
Q What to consider in 6.4 work environment? ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T EMC for Medical Devices in Home Environment Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
N Work Environment - ISO 9001 Clause 6.4 vs. OSHA Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
V Open vs Closed Systems - Criteria for Categorization in cGMP Environment Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R QA department in a manufacturing environment Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
G Assessment Form for Workspace & Workplace Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Digital Signature Solutions acceptable to use in an FDA Medical Device Environment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
A Clean Room as a Controlled Environment - Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Cleanliness Requirements for Raw Materials Used in a Controlled Environment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
A Product Realization Requirements in a Non-Manufacturing Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
I Controlled Environment Classification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
A QMS and Certification in a Multi-Company/Group Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Electronic Logbook Software - 21 CFR part 211 environment (CFR 211.182) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 6
R Manufacturing Documentation in Pharmaceutical Environment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
V Examples of investigation or root-cause categories - Mother Nature (Environment) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
P SharePoint in a Manufacturing Environment Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
N Setting up MSA system in a machine shop environment. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Use of Non-Medically Test Hardware in Medical Environment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
D Calibration in Warehouse Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Process Control in High Volume Custom Electrical Enclosures Environment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
C Balance Calibration SOP for a Pharmaceutical Environment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Company Name Change in a regulated Environment Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Relevancy of Gauge R&R in Pharma Environment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Q Improvements in Resistive Environment in an Organization Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7