6 October 2011 - Diary of an iMac repair

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: 6 October 2011 - I'm behind

Turns out Apple starts the warranty clock running when you purchase the product. In my case since the order was placed on the Apple web site on 30 Sept 2008, even though I didn't actually receive it until Oct 5th, warranty is expired.

Some companies, and I think Dell is one, start the clock ticking when the thing is shipped, not when it's ordered. There can be a significant lag between the two dates. They're not supposed to charge your credit card until shipment, at which point the thing belongs to you. If they posted the credit card payment before the thing was shipped, you should be able to challenge their warranty start date.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I wouldn't win a pissing match over 5 days. I did call the main Apple care folks in Cupertino (or where ever they are) and it's in their Terms and Conditions book. On products bought through the Apple store, the warranty starts on the day they receive the order.

I have updated my "Contingency Plan" though. This iMac is plenty for what I need my desktop computer to do. I don't plan on buying a new iMac for quite some time. Since I have a cloned drive plus a Time Machine drive I'm going to buy a used 21" Intel iMac (2008 or newer). That way if the main fails I can boot off the clone drive.

Right now I'm using an old Compaq laptop which I had set up for travel which I can do some things like manage the forum, access email through browser web mail accounts and stuff like that. But I don't have it set up to do ftp or ssh. Not to mention all my "every day" programs like Quicken and associated data is on my main machine. I have all data backed up at least twice. I just didn't have a spare intel iMac. With a spare I can just start up and run on the clone drive or write the last Time machine backup to it and keep going until the main one is fixed. Of course, once I do that it will probably be several years before it dies again. By that time I probably will be ready to buy a new computer.

Oh, well. So it goes. Another bump on the road of life.

Ronen E

Problem Solver

Just some warranty thoughts -

I wonder how it is that equipment often seems to die shortly after the warranty expires... 2 years ago my laptop monitor died *exactly* on the last warranty day, very close to COB!... Lucky enough the company was decent enough to accept responsibility, even though all I had was a phone call on that day during which I notified them of the failure. Paperwork and of course transfer for repair only followed the other day.

I get a funny feeling that they actually design these things to last the warranty and then die shortly after. Maybe it's kind of a business model - makes sense in the short/medium run but not really, IMO, in the long run. If you're not a particular fan of a certain brand, you'd eventually grow pissed after it happens to you once too many.

Having said that, I still have a Sansuy microwave oven that runs for 12 years and is as good as new (I think it was warranted for 12 months or 3 years or so), a Siemens dishwasher that runs for 11 years (warranted for 5) and during 1997-2000 I had a 1974 VW Beetle, which wasn't a collector's item... (no affiliation with the above companies)

Oh well.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I never had a problem with any of my Macs in the 1990's. I have 5 of them in my closet that still work. But during the 2000's it's been down hill. But that holds true for a lot of products I have had. I also have a lot of stuff that seems to have lasted forever. My last TV was over 15 years old when I gave it away a year or so ago and it was still working - Toshiba 28".

On the current iMac problem, the Cincinnati Apple store *finally* got to it late Thursday night. Apparently they have a service crew that works until 11PM. But - Now they say the logic board is OK. They say the video card is bad, that they ordered one Thursday night (none in stock, of course), which "should" come in Saturday, and if it does it *could* be ready Sat afternoon. But I know better than to believe that. So - It will be Monday earliest and my bet it will Tuesday or Wednesday.

I looked at some used Macs online, but they hold their value pretty well so none were cheap. I almost bought one that is *almost* identical to mine (US$1450! I paid US$3200 in 2008, but it was "maxed out on memory, fastest processor and all that) yesterday for delivery today, but backed off. Thinking Cap time for me. I'm revising my disaster recover/contingency plan to address a potential week downtime for a main server hardware failure. Working on my backup PC was put in for 48 hours and it's a real drag not having my main computer and having to use this PC for what will be at least a week. The age of the current machine also comes into play, so my hardware upgrade road map time line also has to be revised. In short, I have some thinking to do.

This is really weird. It's sorta like when I moved out here 15 years ago there were a fair number of electrical outages, several of which were more than 12 hours at a time. I have a 17KW generator now (of course since I put that in the electricity has only gone out a couple of times, the longest being 4 hours), but I remember when the electricity would go out and it was like "OK - Now what?" No TV, no computer, no refrigeration, no heating/cooling, etc. I still have an "emergency" supply of candles from those days! Here I am with triple data backups (not to mention a clone of my iMac drive *and* a Time Machine backup drive), but only 1 intel iMac so I can't access the programs and data I use every day. If a PC goes down I can use Parallels on my iMac to run PC programs that I use, but I don't have anything that works the other way. Bummer.

I guess I'm lucky I at least had the foresight to have a backup "emergency" PC configured with the basics to be able to send/receive emails, access and maintain the Elsmar site, etc. I just never figured on more than 48 to 72 hours to get a computer fixed. It's surprising to me how much I depend upon that single computer for every day things. Like when the electricity used to go out - One often doesn't realize the dependency until it's gone.

Well, I'm *hoping* I'll have it back by next Wednesday (5 more days) latest, but who knows. If I had taken it to ComputerDNA Thursday morning they would have diagnosed it and ordered the part overnight and had it ready for me Friday afternoon. I know the tech there and have talked with him about this. But it was late afternoon Wednesday (too late to get it to ComputerDNA before they closed) and I figured the Apple store was open late and would be just as fast. Wrong.... :(

Top Bottom