6 Sigma Only for Giants? Deming's Thoughts?

S

sotiris

6 Sigma Only for Giants?

About this six sigma matter, as I recall, Deming did not have a very positive attitude in his last book.Why? Does it work? Works only for giants like Motorola?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S
Juran is not positive about the six sigma process either.
My question is, why stop with six sigma? Why not go on with 9, 12, 15,18 . . . ?
We could go on forever, the tails of the curve will never go to "0".

M

Michael T

Hi Sotiris,

As I understand Dr. Deming's less than supportive comments concerning Six Sigma (this is just my interpretation/opinion), it all stems from the philosophy of conforming to specifications. Conformance to specifications does not take into consideration the loss associated with variation. While a process can be within specification, the variation around X-bar may be widely dispersed. Even with special causes of variation eliminated (the process is considered "in control"), the goal should be to reduce the common causes of variation to obtain a tight grouping around x-bar, not maintain conformance to specifications. By adding a Taguchi Loss Function, it is possible to observe that, the further a process moves from optimal, the greater the loss to the customer. That should be the goal - reducing the loss to the customer, not conformance to a specification. As Dr. Deming states, "The most important use of a loss function is to help us to change from a world of specifications (meet specifications) to continual reduction of variation about the target through improvement of processes." (The New Economics, Chapter 10).

Now, my thoughts on Six Sigma (taking Dr. Deming's System of Profound Knowledge and the philosophy of continuous improvement into consideration) are that Six Sigma focus's too much on the short term benefits derived from a Six Sigma project (and the financial gains derived from it). It lacks the long term focus necessary to fundamentally change the company culture to one of, say, Kaizen. Six Sigma seems to be looking for those big gains, overlooking the small incremental changes to a process that can reduce common causes of variation and tighten the process to get ever closer to the target value. Another problem I see with Six Sigma is that the focus is on large dollar projects. For example, at the onset of a Six Sigma program, projects will only be accepted if the expected payback exceeds a certain dollar figure, say $750,000. Eventually, those projects will be come more scarce as the number of "big ticket" projects diminishes. Then what? Lower the expected payback value? Ok... sure - drop the payback to $500,000. Eventually, those projects will also dry up. If the target payback keeps getting smaller, eventually the cost of a implementing a project will exceed it's payback. Yet, in all this hoopla about Six Sigma, where are those small changes to a process that the person on the shop floor can tell you about that can make a process a little better, get the product manufactured a little easier or a little quicker. There aren't any huge $$ gains, just the small incremental increases that lead to enhanced productivity, reduced variation and more contented line workers who feel that management is listening to them and they have control over their process.

Now - I am not saying Six Sigma is a bad thing. It is a step in the right direction. Training people in process improvement, SPC, DOE, etc., cannot be a bad thing. Like ISO or QS, it is a good start towards a process of continuous improvement, and that (continuous improvement) should be the ultimate goal of management.

So... does Six Sigma work. The short answer is, yes, Six Sigma works. Does it only work for giants? Don't know... Motorola is huge and has gained a great deal of notoriety because of Six Sigma. I don't know of any small companies that have implemented Six Sigma because you just don't hear of them.

Anyway - these are my thoughts on the subject. I'm donning my asbestos underware for the flames I may catch for this post... :D

Cheers!!!

Mike

A

Al Dyer

Sam,

I like your style of thinking. Maybe after 6 sigma we can have 8 sigma, including all the new books, training, and associated costs.

Where will the madness end?

ASD...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
L UCL/LCL calculations using Sbar and sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
K Estimation Sigma (Within) when subgroup n=1 (MiniTab) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Using Minitab to do 6 Sigma Studies Six Sigma 4
Mikael Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
B Relating DPM, Sigma Quality, and Centering Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
O Main difference between X-bar sigma chart / X-bar range chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D Calculating Lower and Upper 3 Sigma Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Sigma Calculation in Excel Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
B Calculating Combined DPMO and Sigma Level for Two or More Different Work Areas Six Sigma 3
S 6 Sigma Performance Level Six Sigma 4
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
optomist1 Establishing Sigma or Capabilty Indices for Automotive Safety Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
A 6 Sigma: Could you share some practical examples of 6 Sigma Projects in your company? Six Sigma 3
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1