6 Weeks to convert from QS-9000 TE Supplement to ISO 9001:2000

Q

qualitytrec

Hey all,
A company I used to work for and had registered to the QS TE has asked if I can help them convert to the ISO before I move to Utah in 6 weeks. Is this even a posibility in your minds? I am thinking I need to start with a gap audit then create a road map to finish the project. I will only have approximately 24 hrs a week to work on it. What are your thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

J

Jeff Frost

Mark,

Have not had to upgrade to TS but my organization did have to upgrade from ISO 9001:1994 to AS9100. My recommendations are:

1. Obtain copy of CQI-7 ISO/TS 16949:2002 Implementation Guide from AIAG. Guide contains Crossover Matrix between QS and TS.
2. Obtain copy of ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management Systems – Fundamentals and vocabulary. This ISO standard has a normative status in TS standard for determining the definitions of word used in the technical specification.
3. Develop your own matrix to show how your QMS aligns to TS requirements.
4. Performs or have performed a gap analysis to determine what needs to be done
5. Develop new quality manual to address requirements to TS, attach to QM as an appendix the QMS matrix you developed in #3.

You may find that once you create your QMS vs. TS matrix that you already meet many of the requirements. We found while upgrading our QMS to AS9100 that through customer imposed requirements we had already addressed about 90 to 95% of the standards new requirements. We only needed to update a few of our internal operational procedures and produce a new quality manual to meet AS9100 requirements.

One Key item. Your organizations top management must be fully engaged in this process as the TS 16949 clearly makes it their responsibility to implement the technical specification within your organizations.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitytrec

Jeff,
We are going for ISO not TS but your points are still valid. Thanks.

Mark

D

D.Scott

Mark, if they are already QS, they are halfway there already. I like the idea of a gap analysis first. Most of what is required in ISO is already included in the current system so don't try to re-invent the wheel. Use what you already have and mold it to fit the new system. Define your processes and use turtle diagrams to make sure everything is covered and the relationships shown.

Your biggest challenge in the short time will be re-orienting the company toward a process system rather than the old element/department thinking. There is much more responsibility for management to set goals and objectives and actually measure the success of the process based on the goals.

Knowing your posts here at the Cove, I think you can give them a great start even if you can't finish it off for them in 6 weeks.

Dave

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
One added factor - much of the consulting can be done at a distance - many consultants do the bulk of their work at a desk far from the site location. Consider conference calls as well.

Q

qualitytrec

Oh what a feeling!!

This is great. The quality system that I helped implement here ( I wrote probably 90% of it) is working very well. It is with much excitement that I report that they follow the management system. :) :yes: :D
I am wondering what you all think of having the control plan and FMEA for this gage house sidelined by procedures that they do use when upgrading to the ISO. The CP and FMEA were only added 6 Months ago and nobody here (except me) understands them. They have good procedures, forms and documentation to control their gage manufacturing. Any objections, any one want a soap box?

I am only here 2-3 days a week for the next four to eight weeks. That is 12 to 24 days to upgrade. Progress so far is good. Key processes are Identified, the manual and definition of responsibility and authority are well on their way. They obviously have many procedures in place from the old QS system so this will convert quickly. I plan to audit to the procedures once they have been converted over(hopefully next week), and follow up with a checklist to check against the standard. From there we should be able to make some good time filling in the gaps.

Mark

M

michelle8075

Hi Mark!

I am in the same boat you are. Going from QS TE to ISO. I have been posed with the task of moving everything over in 8 weeks.

So far, I agree with everyone saying to do a gap analysis.

From what I have seen.......

A lot of the TE supplement, doesn't have much of a place in ISO. However, if you are TE, I am sure that you feel the same way and want to keep as much of that intact as possible (i.e. FMEA's, 20 hour runs, etc.). They are still a major part of our business as I am sure it is yours.

I have seen that we have most of the stuff already in place. The biggest change is: 1) Determining what you want to downsize, 2) Determine what you want to keep (despite it is not required in 9K2K, you may want to keep good business practices, it's just how the TE business works), 3) Customer Satisfaction - including Customer Perception is going have to go beyond what you are most likely doing now. 4) You already have 99.9% of the requirements met for the (6) documented procedures, just review w/ management if they are still effective 5) Management Responsibility plays a much, much bigger role.

WE were told by our Big 3 contacts that even though that we are moving to 9K2K from QS TE, we still have to meet customer requirements. Which are most likely a lot of what is in QS / TS and TE supplement. So this is why despite everyone talking about how great it is to "downsize" when you go to 9K2K, us TE suppliers are having to do in my opinion more and more to meet our biggest customer requirements.

I wish you all the best and good luck. Unfortunatly, the company that I am employeed with stuggles with ISO, the employees have a block against it, that has been since I started here. Management does not show that there are consequences for not following procedures, etc :agree1: . Also, many, many employees see ISO as an ADDITIONAL part of their job, not using or seeing it as a business model.

Would love to hear updates on how you are doing with the transisiton if you have time!

Michelle

Q

qualitytrec

The ultimate test for a QMS!!!

Hi all,
Showed up to work today to see flames on the roof. I ran in and told everyone there was a fire. We quickly pulled everyones personal tools and as many jobs that were inprocess out of the building while we waited for the fire department. This gage house is way out in the boonies. The shop burned to the ground.
The QS/TE QMS had writen as a requirement that backup copies of the computers would be made weekly and stored off-site and that there was a vendor that could be used as a contingency tool room in the event of the companies not being able to work on site for any reason. Contingency plans seem to be an important item missing from the new ISO the company has informed me that I should not report to work unless called all others will show up at the contigency site on Monday.
I guess I need a job again. I am a little shook up about the whole thing, it was after all my father in laws shop.
Good luck Michelle, oh and hey you might want to run a copy of your computer just in case.

Mark

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Bummer!

It sounds like the plot from a bad TV show.

For the rest of us, it might be instructive to have the "suits" in our organizations call the insurance broker and pick up all the brochures available from the companies which provide "business interruption insurance." One of the first things they talk about is how important the intellectual property of the company is (includes not only patents, but customer lists, procedures, work instructions, purchase orders, all business records.) Next they talk about what is necessary to get back doing business when different plateaus of damage occur. The advantage is having a proven template to work with for making the contingency plans for your own organization. What you can cover by having redundant facilities and personnel on tap is going to reduce your premium so you only have to pay to cover what you can't have as a redundant resource.

Markasmith said:
I guess I need a job again.
Good Grief omg.gif ...

What a thoroughly discouraging turn of events... Yes, I can understand being a bit rattled after that, and I know what it is like to see your workplace in flames. We had a very close call in september, when mere seconds made the difference between a total write-off and the three weeks of lost production we got away with...

I hope you land a new job asap. You should: You seem to be good at it. I_agree.gif

/Claes

Top Bottom